help with diet and other question

firedoghfd

Awards
A little back ground first. I am 28 years old and now just getting back into a real work out program. I have a unique schedule which makes my diet a little harder. I work 24 Hours, off 24 hours, work 24 hours off 5 days……..repeat. I’m at work at 6am and go home around 6:30am the following day. I’m up for 20-22 hours so when I get home I sleep from about 7:30 to 1-3pm.

I work out everyday except for the days I am at work. So basically I work out 6 out of 8 days.

When I started to go back to the gym in Dec I was 165lbs and had little definition and little mass. (Starting examples… bench 85lbs 4set x 8 reps, dumbbell shoulder press 25 lb/per arm 4 sets x 8 reps) I am down to 152lbs with some definition and more mass then before. (bench 155 lbs 4set x 8 reps, dumbbell shoulder press 55 lb/per arm 4 sets x 8 reps). i also lost about 3 in around my waist. i'm trying to drop another 1-2in.......basicaly lose the last little bit of fat around the waist while build a much larger upper body and strong legs. I tend to be a hard gainer in the past but this time i'm hitting it 100 times harder and loving it.

I feel that my diet is keeping me back. I don’t want to eat to much where I am putting on fat but I do want to pack on muscle and increase my strength. So what I need is help with my diet. I cut back on my cardio to just 5-8 min warm up. I use to do 20-30 min a day.

Currently
Breakfast. High fiber oatmeal, skim milk, 2-3 egg whites
Pre workout- Try to take in some carbs like a sweet potatoes.
Post work out meal- Chicken breast and ½ cup rice or tuna fish sandwich made with low fat mayo.
Dinner is typically 6-7oz lean meat (fish, chicken, pork tenderloin, lean turkey), a green veggie steamed or grilled, and a carb (whole grain rice, red potatoes, or sweet potatoes)

Snacks include a packet if tuna, a 25g protein shake, or small lean lunch meat and carbs. Small Handful of almonds once a day. I try to eat every 3-4 hours. Until about 7pm. Dinner tends to be my last meal.

Now I also drink a 25g protein shake and a severing of axis lab Smash on the way to the gym pre-workout. Post work-out is a banana 25g protein shake and 4g creatine while still at the gym.

Is that enough food? I notice if I drink to much protein it binds me up and I get bad gas.

I drink about 128oz of water a day. Not counting what is mixed with the shakes.

So what am I doing wrong and what should I change?

Thanks

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
First off, where are all your healthy fats? That's a definite must. Peanut butter, almond butter, fish oil, extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, peanut oil, canola oil....

Secondly, try to get some protein with that pre-workout sweet potato and throw some BCAA's in during your workout, and cut the carbohydrates out for dinner. Throw in some fats in place of them.

And try to find a protein that's a little easier on the stomach, and maybe supplement with some digestive enzymes. They do wonders.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
And try to get a couple more eggs in at breakfast, or a small protein shake along with the current breakfast

firedoghfd

Awards
the protien i take is Dymatize Elite Whey. can you recommed a few more?

i tend to cook most of my fish (salmon, trout, mahi mahi,) in olive oil, about 1-1.5 tbs.

how much good fat should take in? i could easy toss in a PB sandwich a day.

carbs out of dinner......that is going to be hard. i don't eat much with dinner but i don't feel like i had a good meal unless i a little carb. 3-4 small red potatoes is plenty or 1/2 cup rice whole grain rice (wild, red, brown).

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
the protien i take is Dymatize Elite Whey. can you recommed a few more?

i tend to cook most of my fish (salmon, trout, mahi mahi,) in olive oil, about 1-1.5 tbs.

how much good fat should take in? i could easy toss in a PB sandwich a day.

carbs out of dinner......that is going to be hard. i don't eat much with dinner but i don't feel like i had a good meal unless i a little carb. 3-4 small red potatoes is plenty or 1/2 cup rice whole grain rice (wild, red, brown).
I'm an Isopure fan, myself, when it comes to protein, mainly cause I had the same issue you have. Isopure is very easy on the stomach, but it's pricey.

The easiest way for me to make sure I'm getting enough fats in, is always having a jar of All-natty Peanut Butter with me. Just eat a couple tablespoon fulls here and there. I also supplement with Fish Oil caps.

As far as how much healthy fats YOU need to take in, is probably going be your decision, because you have to figure out what your macro breakdown is going to be. Whether it be 40/20/40 or 40/30/30...depends on your ultimate goal, and everyone's body is different.