why is it so hard to get enough protein?

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
Hello,

Well, I'm happy with my workouts lately. I've been doing compound exercises like bench press, squats, shoulder press, and deadlifts, along with ab work. I've also gotten my weight up to 150 lbs.

Now, I decided to finally keep track of my protein intake to see if I was getting enough (I've heard 1 to 2 grams per body weight lb.). So my goal is 150 grams, but I'm falling a bit short. I don't always have a Promax bar, so I'm guessing my average per day is more like 125 grams.

Here's two days worth of data:

• Food Protein (grams)
  • 2 eggs = 12
  • 1 whole grain English muffin = 5
  • 1 bowl Cheerios + soymilk = 5
  • 1 turkey strip = 2
  • 2 baby carrots = 0
  • 1 Promax nutrition bar = 20
  • 1 orange = 0
  • 1 tuna sandwich on whole grain bread = 20
  • 1 banana = 1
  • 1 granola bar = 4
  • 1 protein shake + soymilk = 35
  • 1 serving satay (Thai food) = 8
  • brown rice + ground beef + beans = 28
  • TOTAL = 140
  • Food Protein (grams)
  • 2 eggs = 12
  • 1 apple = 0
  • 2 baby carrots = 0
  • 1 bowl Cheerios + soymilk = 5
  • half peanut butter sandwich = 8
  • 1 orange = 0
  • 1 tuna sandwich on whole grain bread = 20
  • 1 mixed fruit cup = 0
  • 1 Promax nutrition bar = 20
  • 1 protein shake + soymilk = 25
  • brown rice + chicken + beans + corn = 32
  • TOTAL = 122
I'm eating my full, so I can't stuff myself with much more food. I have a sensitive tummy as it is, so I want to avoid stomach aches. I also don't want to skip fruits & veggies in order to have space for more protein-rich food, as fruits & veggies provide other vitamins/nutrients for good health.

Any suggestions on how to get more protein in but still maintain a healthy diet?

Thanks!

:dl:

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Just throw in another shake sometime during the day.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Are you male or female?

Male id ditch the soy milk and go for some low fat milk or skim, depending on how much weight you are trying to achieve. You could also take a multi, recommened 5 servings of fruit and veggies, but with a multi you can skip 1 or two servings.

Switch in milk will help 10 grams or more of protein, minus estrogen releasing properties of soy. Take a shake or 2 more, or add another scoop and more milk and you should be there.

For more bigger gains and depending on age, you could throw a chicken breast or two in there. Depends how much you want to reach your goal.

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
futurepilot,
ROFL :laugh:

MrBigPR,
I'm male. I can't drink normal milk due to lactose intolerance, hence the soymilk. :( I'll see if I can get in another shake on some days, though, as this would be a nice boost. It's just that protein powder gets to be expensive (currently using GNC Wheybolic Xtreme).

Thanks fellas.

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
forgot to mention...

I am taking a daily multivitamin, and I'm also taking creatine. I started off with GNC; then took Musletech Nitrotech Celltech :p for a couple months, but it had no effect; now I'm back to GNC brand.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you do realize if you added maybe 4 cups of soymilk to your day, you'd hit the protein numbers that you want right?

also, satay is a thai dish usually chicken with a peanut dipping sauce. i would doubt it only has 8g of protein.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
futurepilot,

MrBigPR,
I'm male. I can't drink normal milk due to lactose intolerance, hence the soymilk. :( I'll see if I can get in another shake on some days, though, as this would be a nice boost. It's just that protein powder gets to be expensive (currently using GNC Wheybolic Xtreme).

Thanks fellas.
How old are you? If i were you i would invest in a 10lb bag of optimum nutrition whey. Could last 2-3 months

eros62d

eros62d

Awards
If you're trying to build muscle,you're not eating enough period. For stomach issues you could try digestive enzymes and a good pro-biotic like RPN's Gut Health. Def add in a couple more shakes throughout the day. There are some good high protein cereals out there,and Muscle Milk has an instant oatmeal you could eat in the morning instead of cheerios too.

imlegit

Awards
Throw in a shake before you go to bed. If your sleepin your 8 hours, its a long time without new protein. Milk gets taken in slowly, plus u could always throw in a few eggwhites, and you should hit your target.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
honestly, 122-140 is plenty. .6-.8g/lb is enough for slow consistent gains, 1g is more than enough. more than that is just for ego :) So anything over 95g is enough to be able to make gains over time for you, and i dont think you are looking to add even 4lbs a month.

USRDA is .8g/KG, so would be 53g....

a pound of muscle has 160g of proteins in it tops, keep that in mind.

tehockey

tehockey

Awards
forgot to mention...

I am taking a daily multivitamin, and I'm also taking creatine. I started off with GNC; then took Musletech Nitrotech Celltech :p for a couple months, but it had no effect; now I'm back to GNC brand.
lol. ah yes, another dissatisfied muscletech customer. and the list grows...

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
futurepilot,

MrBigPR,

Thanks fellas.
Ditch the wheybolic, a little bit of leucine to bump a 2lb container to 60 bucks.... You're getting ass raped man. Get some Optimum Nutrition, or LG's lipotropic ( a little tough to stomach due to thickness but if cost is an issue it will suffice), if cost of a very big deal and you want alot more then go to walmart or target and buy some body fortress, tastes pretty bad but can give you 52g in a two scoop shake for post workout...

You have options, ween yourself off of GNC's crap as best as you can

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
GNC is truly crap, i took it 8 years ago when i first started working out because its all i really knew.

Its funny, the base im at in Iraq right now has all of muscletech's stuff for 75% off!!

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
  • Food
    [*]2 eggs = 12 <--Add 4 more egg whites to this for 12 more grams.
    [*]1 apple = 0 <-- Add a handful of Almonds for another 6-12 grams
    [*]2 baby carrots = 0
    [*]1 bowl Cheerios + soymilk = 5 <-- Drop the soy milk and the cheerios and eat oatmeal. or at least drop the soy and use rice milk. soy=estrogen
    [*]half peanut butter sandwich = 8 <--hand ful of almonds or eat a chicken breast sandwhich instead.
    [*]1 orange = 0
    [*]1 tuna sandwich on whole grain bread = 20 can of tuna has 22grams.
    [*]1 mixed fruit cup = 0
    [*]1 Promax nutrition bar = 20 use OH yeah bars instead 32 grams
    [*]1 protein shake + soymilk = 25 use 2 scoops and drop the soy.
    [*]brown rice + chicken + beans + corn = 32
    [*]TOTAL = 122

Eat Nom Tuk with steak instead when you eat Thia :D

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Have solid, liquid and combined meals. For a combined one, eat meat, complex carbs, good fat, then wash it down with a scoop of whey. Adjust as necessary. Also, start doing easy morning cardio to increase your appetite.