Lactose Intolerant?

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I have had a problem these last few months. Each time after drinking my whey protein shake, I get diarrhea within 4-6 hours. Like I said, I've had his problem since end of October. When I don't drink my protein shake I'm fine. I have never been lactose intolerant in the past, but then again, I don't like milk so haven't drank much. Do you have anything on this? And if this is the case, do I have any options for an alternate protein supplement? Thanks for your help!

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
gemma protein is a non dairy protein with 90-95% absorbtion and lots of aminos. i believe its derived from peas. theres also rice, hemp and both egg and egg white protein. is there anything new your adding to your protein shakes???

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
You could try taking digestive enzymes with it... However if they are going to be of any use they are going to have to be enteric coated, otherwise they won't survive the acidity of the stomach

cmc

cmc

Awards
One solution and it works. Buy some probiotics. I like using Jarrodophillus, t.hey come in a yellow box, find thme online or most decent health food stores sell them. They are very healthy for you..lol...3 year olds can take them.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Egg protein tends to have less cholesterol anyways...
Healthy N Fit Nutritionals egg protein is what I used for a while.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I have had a problem these last few months. Each time after drinking my whey protein shake, I get diarrhea within 4-6 hours. Like I said, I've had his problem since end of October. When I don't drink my protein shake I'm fine. I have never been lactose intolerant in the past, but then again, I don't like milk so haven't drank much. Do you have anything on this? And if this is the case, do I have any options for an alternate protein supplement? Thanks for your help!
This is quite the coincidence, as I just made a thread about this in another sub-forum.

Long story short ON whey isolates was killing my digestion, leaving me bloated and with the ability to poop through a screen door. I thought for a while that I might be lactose intolerant, but I had my doubts (especially after my wife had a similar experience with my protein).

I finally decided to give whey protein another try and went with All the Whey this time, and have had no problems. So my issue with my ON protein had to be something other than lactose intolerance.

My advice would be to try a different protein company. Just order a 2.5lb container, or ask for a sample.

If it turns out that you are actually lactose intolerant, egg protein may be a good alternative for you.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I found that switching from a Whey Concentrate to a Whey Isolate solved a similar problem I had.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
How about a simple solution?.....use water instead of milk!

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
This is quite the coincidence, as I just made a thread about this in another sub-forum.

Long story short ON whey isolates was killing my digestion, leaving me bloated and with the ability to poop through a screen door. I thought for a while that I might be lactose intolerant, but I had my doubts (especially after my wife had a similar experience with my protein).

I finally decided to give whey protein another try and went with All the Whey this time, and have had no problems. So my issue with my ON protein had to be something other than lactose intolerance.

My advice would be to try a different protein company. Just order a 2.5lb container, or ask for a sample.

If it turns out that you are actually lactose intolerant, egg protein may be a good alternative for you.

Haha, I'm currently taking ON and have been for awhile! I have two 2lb tubs of Mucle Milk Light coming, so we'll see where that puts me.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Thank you everybody for your tips! I will definitely keep these alternatives in mind! :fingersx:

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get the lactose free milk, or whatever the hell it is. I cant drink reg milk without the spray dumps either....sucks. I also carry the lactose tab things in my gym bag, u take 1 like 15 mins before ingesting dairy type stuff.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I'm currently taking ON and have been for awhile! I have two 2lb tubs of Mucle Milk Light coming, so we'll see where that puts me.

Maybe an angry ON employee decided to dump a few hundred pounds of laxative in the last batch of their protein.:fart:

I literally could only use half of a scoop of the ON at a time, and even this would leave me bloated and feeling bad. I have been using two scoops of All The Whey (approx 44 grams protein) and havent even had the slightest bit of bloating or explosive sh!ts. So the problem was definately the ON whey.

I hope the MM treats you better, if not give All The Whey a try, I freaking love that stuff.

purebred

i know I'M definitely going to another company, that's for sure. the only protein i have is ON's natural whey vanilla. tastes great and all but not my idea of quality, to say the least. especially when considering ON won't verify how much of their powder is wpc and/or wpi. it's probably majorly wpc w/ a hint of isolate. ON is garbage IMO. i want to know what i'm paying for and if a company doesn't want to tell me how much of what is in their product which I'M putting my hard-earned money forth to use, they'll lose another customer to another company that will (e.g. true protein).

i'm looking forward to my tp wpi/mpi protein blend. screw you, ON:squintfinger:

cmc

cmc

Awards
I get the lactose free milk, or whatever the hell it is. I cant drink reg milk without the spray dumps either....sucks. I also carry the lactose tab things in my gym bag, u take 1 like 15 mins before ingesting dairy type stuff.
Im lactose intolerant as well...if I have any dairy Ill get massive gas cramps..the whole nine yards.....thanks to some probiotics......best thing to ever happen for lactose intolerance..I can pound milk and still hang with a chick without having to worry if Im gonna **** my pants. Just get the stuff and you will forget all about your intolerance.

purebred

Im lactose intolerant as well...if I have any dairy Ill get massive gas cramps..the whole nine yards.....thanks to some probiotics......best thing to ever happen for lactose intolerance..I can pound milk and still hang with a chick without having to worry if Im gonna **** my pants. Just get the stuff and you will forget all about your intolerance.
your posts are so entertaining lol. informative but nevertheless, never boring to read :lmao:

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Only if it were that easy. I'm lactose intolerant and I take Gut Health. Shakes still tear me up. Along with Gut Health, I have to take dairy digestive with any kinda dairy or shake.
My protein of choice right now is ON 100% Casein and Whey. Maybe I need to switch up brands. I have 5lbs of ATW coming. Maybe that will do me some good.