Protein Absorbtion...

robotj

Awards
Heres my before bed meal...

2 cups whole milk and 1 cup 2% cottage cheese. It comes out to ~40g Protein.

As far as I know a very small amount of that is actually whey protein. Should i be topping that off with some tuna/sardines/etc just to add a little more protein thatll hit my system quicker?

If 30-50g is what can be absorbed in 1 meal but most of that is sustained over 6-8 hrs while im sleeping... wouldnt it be a good idea to have 40g+ whey and 40g+ casein for the "now" AND sustained protein?

Reason I ask is i see a lot of casein only pre bed meals posted and wasn't sure.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the reason you only see casein used pre bedtime is because it is very slow digesting, which leads to feeling more full, which may limit your daytime food intake which is counterproductive. adding in 10-15g of it to any meal is OK though. more than that will cut your appetite down.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
how much before bedtime is the last time you ate? casein starts hitting the system within less than an hour anyhow, so not particularly that much slower than whey. that already is enough calories to have right before bed anyhow, any significant surplus at that time of nite will more likely get stored as fat, and make your sleep less pleasant

robotj

Awards
how much before bedtime is the last time you ate? casein starts hitting the system within less than an hour anyhow, so not particularly that much slower than whey. that already is enough calories to have right before bed anyhow, any significant surplus at that time of nite will more likely get stored as fat, and make your sleep less pleasant
I eat about 2-3 hours prior.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
then i wouldnt worry about the whey. you are looking at 300 cals for the milk, and another 200 for the cottage cheese. thats plenty close to bedtime.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 5
EpiStrong Supplements 30
Young Gotti Nutrition / Health 7
Nutrition / Health 8
Jag Weight Loss 5