Answers

Multivitamins. Worth it?

Interesting findings on the health benefits of multivitamins.:bruce3:

Are You Wasting Money on Multivitamins? on Yahoo! Health

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I advocate the use of a multivitamin. I notice I feel better when I'm taking vitamin supplements as opposed to not. I haven't been sick for almost 10 years, aside from runny nose every once in a while; I think a big reason why is because i usually eat fairly healthy, I exercise and I take vitamin supplementation.

There are so many different nutrition studies out there and to just hear one more opinion from one expert isn't enough to keep me away from vitamin supplements. He doesn't cite any research, so it's basically just his word on paper.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

The American Medical Association now recommends the use of a daily multivitamin. I would be careful as to which company's multi I take, since almost all are not certified organic and may contain concentrated levels of contamenants.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by briancogs888 View Post
    The American Medical Association now recommends the use of a daily multivitamin. I would be careful as to which company's multi I take, since almost all are not certified organic and may contain concentrated levels of contamenants.
    so what brand do you use?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

All I can say is that I don't need any studies to know I love Orange Triad hehe.

I used to have real bad gastritis, take omeoprazol everyday to mildly help it. Also had very sore neck, always in pain and would bother me a lot. I started taking Orange Triad's recommended dose and my stomach has been great lately and I no longer feel any neck pain.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  236 lbs.
    Answers

Unless your diet is perfect you absolutely need a multivitamin + multimineral. Especially when you exercise. Also keep in mind the RDA for most vitamins is for couch potatoes.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Yes.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by stefang View Post
    Unless your diet is perfect you absolutely need a multivitamin + multimineral. Especially when you exercise. Also keep in mind the RDA for most vitamins is for couch potatoes.
    This is true. I think it's based on an average, and I'm pretty sure that average is a 152lbs male.
  9. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    This is true. I think it's based on an average, and I'm pretty sure that average is a 152lbs male.
    Average in America is 190lbs male, unless you are talking LBM
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    Damn, America's fat.
  11. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiV View Post
    Damn, America's fat.
    Yep I get called skinny all the time and I'm 5'7" 170... well above the "correct" weight for my height.
  12. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Take the multi. I skipped on using one for close to a year then started back on them and felt an immediate difference in energy and overall sense of well being. Plus my pee was bright yellow again
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Multivitamins are must especially if your working out/training for sports on a consistent basis. Right now I am bulking and take some supplements and working out 6 days a week, so I need a thorough multivitamin, I am taking Universal Animal PAK multivitamin and love it, gives my all kinds of energy and I've found it increases my endurance while training.

Best,
    TWB
  14. Registered User
    Answers

A mutivitamin is the base of any program. Most people do not get the nutrients they need in their diet. I don't miss a day taking my multi. I eat healthy but I know I don't get all the nutrients I need everyday in my diet.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Are Centrum Multi-Vitamins any good?
  16. Registered User
    Answers

See, that's the thing. I didn't know Jack about multi's so I just took One-A-Day Men's formula for years! I had presumed it was "better than nothing". I have heard nothing but raves about Orange Triad (with the exception of ppl complaining about price). IMO any multi is "pricey".
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by briancogs888 View Post
    Organic is good or even better Kosher. Both are good good options.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

5ft9-10 and 180 was the average ht and wt of an average male in the USA,in 2008. unless its changed I dont know...and the average male had a little belly(not bad still there though)

Multis are for sure worth it IMHO.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Make sure it is clinically tested. I get lots of patients taking vitamins in my office and when blood work comes back nothing elevates or very little gets elevated. I.e centrium, costco, GNC, whole foods, vitamin shop.
  20. Registered User
    Answers

I wouldn't have a multi vitamin as my avatar if I didn't advocate it's use 110%. ONe of the most important things IMO
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Answers

i like how OT lasts 45 days and not the normal 30
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    i like how OT lasts 45 days and not the normal 30
    Me too! The overlap is essential if I am tight on cash and cannot order on time each month, I still get my vitamins and joint support...
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I wouldn't have a multi vitamin as my avatar if I didn't advocate it's use 110%. ONe of the most important things IMO
    Man, I still can't wait to buy OT...Also, I told my Da' about it, so hopefully he'll grab some for himself. He's kind of cheap when it comes to health supps though; he doesn't understand that there is a difference in quality from one company to another. He usually goes with Wal-mart brand multi-vits.
  24. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Man, I still can't wait to buy OT...Also, I told my Da' about it, so hopefully he'll grab some for himself. He's kind of cheap when it comes to health supps though; he doesn't understand that there is a difference in quality from one company to another. He usually goes with Wal-mart brand multi-vits.
    Little tip: Hold out a bit longer and we should be shipping out the updated formula I'll let you guys know when the new OT is shipping, still going through old stock I believe.
  25. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Little tip: Hold out a bit longer and we should be shipping out the updated formula I'll let you guys know when the new OT is shipping, still going through old stock I believe.
    x2 ... keep us updated!
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    Well you have to remember that the RDAs on the back of nutrition labels were created quite a while back. Also, most people on these forums are in a certain bodybuilding mindset. The people who designed the RDAs weren't thinking about bodybuilding. Who knows what research they were going off of. At some point some guy was like, yeah, this looks good, do it. And that's how we got the RDA.. lol

In as simple terms as I can put it, bodybuilders have more going on at a physiological basis than the regular dude does. Vitamins and minerals act as catalysts for reactions that take place inside the body. Bodybuilders have more going on, therefore, we need more vitamins and minerals. I'm not saying we need a lot more. Just guessing, I'd say around 150% of the RDA for most things would be a better bet than just going by what the RDA is. Anyone want to discuss?
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

In as simple terms as I can put it, bodybuilders have more going on at a physiological basis than the regular dude does. Vitamins and minerals act as catalysts for reactions that take place inside the body. Bodybuilders have more going on, therefore, we need more vitamins and minerals. I'm not saying we need a lot more. Just guessing, I'd say around 150% of the RDA for most things would be a better bet than just going by what the RDA is. Anyone want to discuss?
    I'd love to discuss.

For the most part yeah... I definitely agree with that. I really wouldn't muck around with the low dose RDI trace minerals that much but other than that, unless you are taking beyond tolerable UL levels I'd say its pretty much standard than anyone who leads a physically demanding lifestyle should be supplementing with a multi.

The RDI/RDA's were designed in mind to, if met, counteract diseases that would come with nutrient deficiency. So basically its the dose that will keep you from developing deficiency diseases and will treat deficiency diseases if you have them.

The fact that some of these ADA nutritionists and dieticians are still saying you don't need a multi if you have a well constructed diets irks me. Point in fact the quality of most american food sucks and no amount of diet planning is going to increase the declining nutrient quality of our food... Honestly, someday i'm going to bring that whole organization crashing down and piss on its grave. Once I get enough posts so I can post links then everyone can be treated to an ADA rant. Sorry to get heated its just the ignorance of that organization and the stupidity it breeds astounds me.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Answers

You are correct sir, except for the fact that many nutritionist and dieticians don't recommend a multi, many do. The AMA no states that everyone should take a multivitamin daily. But yes, you are absolutely right about the RDAs, they are set to prevent deficiency, not actually provide the level of those substances that the average healthy person should consume to enhance his/her health, and thats the average healthy person, not bodybuilders.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post

Did any one read my post about OT. Your saying some are cheep and some are quality look at my post than get back to me.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Orange TRIad NOW UPDATED! look at my post.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    Well you have to remember that the RDAs on the back of nutrition labels were created quite a while back. Also, most people on these forums are in a certain bodybuilding mindset. The people who designed the RDAs weren't thinking about bodybuilding. Who knows what research they were going off of. At some point some guy was like, yeah, this looks good, do it. And that's how we got the RDA.. lol

and this is why: ODIs > RDAs
    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Did any one read my post about OT. Your saying some are cheep and some are quality look at my post than get back to me.
    Orange TRIad NOW UPDATED! look at my post.
    are you saying controlled labs OT was a cheap product?
  32. Registered User
    Answers

whats the general consensus on ON Opti-Men as a multi?
    I hear about AP a lot, but this is the first I've heard of OT.

And I was just about to order a MV from NP .....
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

So what multivitamin would you recommend?
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by purebred View Post
    and this is why: ODIs > RDAs

are you saying controlled labs OT was a cheap product?
    Yes it would be one of the cheeper products on the market if you read my post in the link i sent you, you would understand why once you look at there raw materials.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Yes it would be one of the cheeper products on the market if you read my post in the link i sent you, you would understand why once you look at there raw materials.
    you sent me a link?
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

So I read your post DJ and don't see how pointing out that the old formula had an inferior form of Vit D makes the entire product a "cheap product"...unless by "cheap" you mean price and not quality...
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    So I read your post DJ and don't see how pointing out that the old formula had an inferior form of Vit D makes the entire product a "cheap product"...unless by "cheap" you mean price and not quality...
    If there vitamin D was D2 and D2 has been proven to not work what other ingredients did they put in there that does not work? It makes me wonder.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

you're another confusing poster..you never sent this link to me directly. you simply posted it. anyway..
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo4Fun View Post
    this dj fella is very vague it seems...likes to beat around the bush a lot.

say what's on your mind the first time around so we don't have to play the guessing game or harass it out of you, boy!
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

You're posts are rediculously vague...You point to that other thread as if all of the answers are there but all you really did was compliment them on switching to D3 and post a study....I've read a quite a few of your threads and you seem unable to post any of your own thoughts...all you ever do is regurgitate other people's writing.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Multivitamins: How much nutrition, how much hype?
    By dmix in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
  2. multivitamins in protein shake?
    By tirtle88 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 03:48 AM
  3. Best multivitamins for us???
    By Farmboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
  4. My Multivitamins expired 12/00