BURGERS/ground meat

F

flex13

Awards
Hey fellas usually I just grab a ball of frozen meat from the freezer toss it on the pan and chop it up then eat. I was wondering if it is much worse to just make a hamburger patty toss it on the grill and just add one slice of chesse and no bun then it. I mean it cant be adding anymore calories beside the cheese correct? The only reason I ask this is because I have been on a strict routine with what I eat but over the weekend I was at my sisters and she had a left over hamburger in the fridge and I was starving so i just took it out and eat it and it was actually real good. let me know fellas....the beef i always use is just regular ground meat from the butcher!

G

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
its fine to eat it by itself but why wouldn't u wanna eat it with a bun? u cutting out carbs? why would u be cutting out carbs? i always get the wheat hamburger buns, works out for a great meal.. protein in the meat, some good carbs and fiber in the bun, and some romaine lettuce

and the cheese i get 2% milk, its got half the fat, tastes fine

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, your fine. One slice of cheese in't nothing.

Grilling on an open flame is also better than frying. Bad juices run out and escape is why. As, long as every meal isn't BBQ'd (the charred part can/is carcinogenic).

All in all, your fine. Especially if you are not counting every single macro and are try to be in competition status. They are on a bit of a diff level.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its fine to eat it by itself but why wouldn't u wanna eat it with a bun? u cutting out carbs? why would u be cutting out carbs? i always get the wheat hamburger buns, works out for a great meal.. protein in the meat, some good carbs and fiber in the bun, and some romaine lettuce

and the cheese i get 2% milk, its got half the fat, tastes fine
True, I believe that 2% or 1% is better/more nutition than fat free milk.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just eat the freaking burger man. Dont be a puzzyface and enjoy life.

F

flex13

Awards
Just eat the freaking burger man. Dont be a puzzyface and enjoy life.
Lol thanks fellas. I am currently cutting and havent had a burger in a while. Probably gonna add 1-2 burgers a week into my diet just to switch it up getting tired of eating the same things every week. Also taking ap so the wheat buns is a good idea

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If you have a Foreman GRill its even better. I usually just buy those griller packs with 32 1/4lb burguers and cook them in the grill. Their nutritional values are HORRIBLE but after I run them in the grill and dry them up with a paper towel most of the fat is out.

I mean, with 2 of those burguers on a small G.F. Grill I fill up the entire "dump tray" with fat. And I mean, fill it up. So I'm pretty confident there's very little left in the burguer itself and I end up just eating some nice lean protein with, as stated above, wheat bread and some cheese.

H

HooRah66

Awards
I just go for lean burgers and george foreman them.

G

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
ya another thing, whats the fat % of the burger u get? 80/20? thats the most common one... but i never eat that stuff, i always get the 93/7, its a little bit more expensive, but it has way less fat, and it tastes fine.. its worth the extra couple bucks if u ask me... actually what i've been eating lately is bison meat.. thats good stuff but expensive as ****

F

flex13

Awards
ya another thing, whats the fat % of the burger u get? 80/20? thats the most common one... but i never eat that stuff, i always get the 93/7, its a little bit more expensive, but it has way less fat, and it tastes fine.. its worth the extra couple bucks if u ask me... actually what i've been eating lately is bison meat.. thats good stuff but expensive as ****
Not sure what the fat % is...It is prob 80/20 if thats the most common because my mom buys it for me. But i am gonna tell her next time she goes to get the leaner beef.

So all in all a burger or 2 a week is gonna fit into my diet just fine is basically what I am getting at?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol thanks fellas. I am currently cutting and havent had a burger in a while. Probably gonna add 1-2 burgers a week into my diet just to switch it up getting tired of eating the same things every week. Also taking ap so the wheat buns is a good idea
Or wrap the burger in a lettuce leaf instead of buns. Less carbs.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should bulk cook your own burgers. I did almost 10lbs this summer and they lasted me ages. Then you can make your own healthy burger. I put it in a piece of sprouted grain bread, with a slice of FF Processed cheese ontop. Tastes amazing! Add to the beef some spices, pepper, and egg or two, + some breadcrumbs. Turns out like this:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should bulk cook your own burgers. I did almost 10lbs this summer and they lasted me ages. Then you can make your own healthy burger. I put it in a piece of sprouted grain bread, with a slice of FF Processed cheese ontop. Tastes amazing! Add to the beef some spices, pepper, and egg or two, + some breadcrumbs. Turns out like this:

I would eat the sh8t out of that

F

flex13

Awards

Damn that looks pretty good bro!!! Ya I do make my own burgers I dont think those pre made patties are that good for ya especially while on a diet. I was just worrying about ruining my diet but if u keep it healthy i think it can actually be a pretty nutritious meal.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I eat around 12 Burgers a week half beef, half turkey.

When I eat them Post WO I eat them on Ezekial Hamburger buns.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
i agree....i think 93/7 and 96/4 is the easiest way to get your protein intake for the day. Just slap a few patties together and grill them......very lean,,,,high protein, low fat and very easy to make and also very easy to fashion it like u like (spices, mustard, soy sauce, ff cheese.....blue cheese....etc....etc.)

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree....i think 93/7 and 96/4 is the easiest way to get your protein intake for the day. Just slap a few patties together and grill them......very lean,,,,high protein, low fat and very easy to make and also very easy to fashion it like u like (spices, mustard, soy sauce, ff cheese.....blue cheese....etc....etc.)
How much does that cost you Americans? I can get 90/10 for $3/lb on sale this week. Usually about 3.50-4/lb. We don't sell beef that lean up here. I was at Walmart last weekend, but that particular one didn't have fresh food :(

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i still like buying the 73/27, pan frying it as crumbles then rinsing with boiling water after draining the fat. you end up with leaner than 96/4, but at less than half the price. Can get the 73/27 for under $2 a lb, the 96/4 is usually around $4.50-$5/lb

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Easy, how truly effective do you think that is? Ive heard of that method, but never really believed it turned from 73/27 to 96/4 (although I wish it did because i would save some $$$)

On the other hand, if you are making burgers, that would be the only time u would opt for the 93/7 or 96/4 IMO. (btw, ive got a killer horseradish burger i stole from a weight watchers book....haha)

thanks

i still like buying the 73/27, pan frying it as crumbles then rinsing with boiling water after draining the fat. you end up with leaner than 96/4, but at less than half the price. Can get the 73/27 for under $2 a lb, the 96/4 is usually around $4.50-$5/lb

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
depends on sales - normally 96/4 is around $5/Lb, But I found a grocery store recently that sells 97/3 for like $3.50/Lb I beleive it was!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reducing Fat in Ground Beef

A study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association* has good news for beef eaters. Nutrition researchers found that a simple rinsing process reduced the fat content of cooked ground beef crumbles by as much as 50 percent. And blotting can be used to reduce the fat content of cooked burgers, meatballs and meatloaf.

So whether buying ground beef for taste, convenience or price, consumers can also enjoy the health benefits of lower-fat ground beef with a few easy steps.

Reducing Fat in Cooked Ground Beef by Rinsing and Draining:
By following these easy steps, it’s simple to cut the fat in favorite recipes that call for cooked ground beef crumbles, such as chili, Sloppy Joes, spaghetti with meat sauce and tacos.

This technique allows beef eaters to take advantage of lower-priced, higher-fat ground beef and still enjoy the benefits of a leaner product.

1. Brown ground beef in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir occasionally to break beef into large pieces (about 1/4-inch).

2. Meanwhile, microwave 4 cups water in a 1-quart glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl on HIGH 5 to 6 minutes or until very hot, but not boiling (150°F to 160°F).

3. Drain fat from skillet.

4. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef crumbles to large plate or other container lined with three layers of white, non-recycled paper towels. Let sit 1 minute; blot top of beef with more paper towels.

5. Place beef in a line mesh strainer or colander and set it on a 1/2-quart (or larger) sturdy bowl. Pour hot water over beef to rinse fat. Drain 5 minutes.

6. Proceed as recipe directs.

If the recipe calls for browning ground beef with onion or garlic, these items can be added during the cooking process. Rinsing the beef after cooking results in minimal flavor loss. Additional seasonings and herbs may be added after rinsing as desired.

* Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Vol. 92, No. 11, November 1992
heres one, an older study. there are some newer

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy, how truly effective do you think that is? Ive heard of that method, but never really believed it turned from 73/27 to 96/4 (although I wish it did because i would save some $$$)

On the other hand, if you are making burgers, that would be the only time u would opt for the 93/7 or 96/4 IMO. (btw, ive got a killer horseradish burger i stole from a weight watchers book....haha)

thanks
Do you mean how much fat is removed, if so there`s a great article done by Iowa University that shows how much fat is removed. Read it http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Reducing Fat in Ground Beef.pdf

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
depends on sales - normally 96/4 is around $5/Lb, But I found a grocery store recently that sells 97/3 for like $3.50/Lb I beleive it was!
McDonalds sells a 1/4 pound for I think 2 dollars or so. It also comes already cooked with the bun and some other goodies!:Flush:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so yeah, the 10% hits down to effectively 94/6, and the 30% to 92/8.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
speak of the devil... went over to walmart to pick up milk + cottage cheese, and they had a bunch of short dated 96/4 ground beef marked down to 3.09/lb from 4.64, so I bought 9lbs, making crumbles with 3, freezing the rest for next week :D

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
thanks. Ill try that next time. Ill probably just buy standard 85/15 or even 70/30 and see what happens.

So, if one were to do this with the following, what is the final % if one were to follow the procedure on

90/10
85/15
70/30

Or as least a close approx.

thanks

heres one, an older study. there are some newer

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks. Ill try that next time. Ill probably just buy standard 85/15 or even 70/30 and see what happens.

So, if one were to do this with the following, what is the final % if one were to follow the procedure on

90/10
85/15
70/30

Or as least a close approx.

thanks
roughly under half the fat left, so no worse than
90/10 - > 95/5
85/15 - > 93/7
70/30 - > 85/15

and possibly even less fat than those...

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I got the good old 80/20 for 1.89 a pound by me.....great for a keto diet lol

M

Messiah

Awards
That only works if you want your beef well done. I prefer mine medium-rare, so the 93% lean is the only option for me

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
true, but when i am doing the volume food for day to day, the ability to make up 5lbs of beef at once and store it in the fridge a week is worth more to me than enjoying it :D

T

Troymm

Awards
i regularly eat 93/7 ground beef

burgers and crumbled with pasta

cmc

cmc

Awards
Hey fellas usually I just grab a ball of frozen meat from the freezer toss it on the pan and chop it up then eat. I was wondering if it is much worse to just make a hamburger patty toss it on the grill and just add one slice of chesse and no bun then it. I mean it cant be adding anymore calories beside the cheese correct? The only reason I ask this is because I have been on a strict routine with what I eat but over the weekend I was at my sisters and she had a left over hamburger in the fridge and I was starving so i just took it out and eat it and it was actually real good. let me know fellas....the beef i always use is just regular ground meat from the butcher!
You guys gotta try Bubba Burgers. They are sold in the frozen section of most supermarkets. I know I know..a frozen burger? Well..holy ****...one of the juiciest burgers I have ever had. Probably not the healthiest but rank very high in the flavor department.

cmc

cmc

Awards
roughly under half the fat left, so no worse than
90/10 - > 95/5
85/15 - > 93/7
70/30 - > 85/15

and possibly even less fat than those...
Some info from one of my resources regarding lean meats:
The USDA figures one of the leanest beef cuts to be double bone sirloin steak.
A 12 oz sirloin, dry broiled and trimmed, yields 6.6 oz of meat, including 1.8 oz of fat. When you exclude the 107 grams of water content (57%) which has 0 calories, the lean meat left is 61 grams. The fat left is 19 grams including 9 grams of saturated fat. Lean meat (protein) is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram..so this works out as:

Fat - 19 grams x 9 calories=171 calories=41%
Protein - 61 grams x 4 calories=244 calories=59%
Total - 415 calories

So...one of the best lean cuts is still 41 % fat. 19.5 % saturated fat. That's way above the government health reccommendations of 30 % total fat, 10% saturated fat. All other cuts of beef are even fattier. Pork is worse.

Note: The book is a few years old so those government reccomendations may have changed. Hope this tidbit provides some insight and something to ponder on.