Brain Food?

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
I have a series of very important exams coming up in about 2.5/ 3 months.
I want to optimize mental function. I already take 5g creatine mono, a multi, 1g vit C, and 5g fish oil ed (300 mg EPA/DHA per gram). Was thinking about adding:

Blueberry or blueberry extract
ALA
Green Tea extract

Any suggestions or comments?
Also, if anyone could recommend optimal dosage and timing protocols for the above for a 100 kg scorpio that isn't afraid to cry, I would appreciate that too.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bananas and nuts

AllMaxBrian

Awards
Your brain thrives on fat. Load up on nuts and nut butters.

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
Your brain thrives on fat. Load up on nuts and nut butters.
I think you are a bit misinformed.:nono2:

Actually, the brain vitually runs exclusively on glucose, which is a simple carb. The only exception to this would be during intense exercise in which the brain may run on lactate or keytones to my knowledge. I think you are confusing cholesterol usage in the brain. Cholesterol plays an active and very important role in brain funtion, but the body makes enough cholesterol to support itself. In order for the fats to be used as fuel it would have to be broken down to a CHO structure and then burned as fuel.

Stick with a complex carb like oats, sweet potatoes, bran, or something like granola 1-2 hours before the exams. Good luck.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I think you are a bit misinformed.:nono2:

Actually, the brain vitually runs exclusively on glucose, which is a simple carb. The only exception to this would be during intense exercise in which the brain may run on lactate or keytones to my knowledge. I think you are confusing cholesterol usage in the brain. Cholesterol plays an active and very important role in brain funtion, but the body makes enough cholesterol to support itself. In order for the fats to be used as fuel it would have to be broken down to a CHO structure and then burned as fuel.

Stick with a complex carb like oats, sweet potatoes, bran, or something like granola 1-2 hours before the exams. Good luck.
I was actually referring to the fact that the brain's surface is largely made of fat and uses fatty acids to build cells. Additionally, fat makes up 70% of the myelin sheaths on neurons. And there have recently been studies linking fat intake to decreases in Alzheimer's and other mental disorders and increases in intelligence.

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
I was actually referring to the fact that the brain's surface is largely made of fat and uses fatty acids to build cells. Additionally, fat makes up 70% of the myelin sheaths on neurons. And there have recently been studies linking fat intake to decreases in Alzheimer's and other mental disorders and increases in intelligence.
I hear what you're saying, believe me as I have a MS in Nutrition. Having a fatty meal before an exam isn't goign to help you solve those tough math problems. However, there have been quite a few studies done on academic performace with (carbs provided 1-2 hours before exam) and without (nothing to eat hours before the exam) a steady supply of carbs before testing. Funny enough the group with the higher blood glucose levels usually comes out on top. Like I said, I get the point, but from the post it looks like you are saying that a fatty meal will boost your academic performace, which is somewhat misleading. As far as the fat consumption goes, your right it has a ton to do with the brain, but only with PROTECTION not mental FUNCTION. Once again the guy was asking about "Optimizing Mental Function" and fats just don't cut it in this area as compared to carbs. And the Alzheimers thing is a bit of a stretch, I mean this guy is probably in college and your quoting stuff that is affecting people 80 years later. He wants to better on a test this semester NOT 70-80 years from now! Lets get real!

Last edited:
littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I have extensively studied carbohydrate digestion and absorption due to a diabetic drug that I sell to endocrinologists. I know for a fact that the brain is fueled by glucose and those that are hypoglycemic (low blood sugar concentration) can pass out because the brain shuts down from a lack of energy.

As far as fats go, they do help with your neuron function, but I think this irrelevent to what Bullsh**t is asking.

stefang

Awards
Same Brain Food/Supplements:
Fruit >> great source of glucose & fructose. Darker fruit is better since it generally has more antioxidants>>prevent the brain from oxidative stress
Ginkgo >> circulation & oxygen supply to the brain
Bacopa Monnierri (Brahmi herb)>> memory & learning enhancer
Fish Oil >> DHA is very beneficial. Will help your entire body>>Salmon is probably the best
DMAE >> cheap and you only need a small dose >> Can be found in sardines
ALCAR >> memory support, energy production within the brain
Gotu Kola >> will help circulation as well
Choline >> Alpha GPC is a high quality one, but it's expensive >> need small dose as well
Vinpocetine & Huperzia are also helpful for memory
Phosphatidylserine >> This will help with stress and protect your brain cells from damage >> Lecithin is a great source.
Tyrosine >> amino acid that converts to neurotransmitters

Some of these work as precursors to important neurotransmitters such as Acetyl Choline, epinephrine & norepinephrine.

PowerNap>>Take a power nap shortly before a big test. This is only about 20-30 min. It relaxes your body, your brain and releases hormones that will rejuvinate you such as the growth hormone.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
10mg of Methylphenidate 20mins before the test will help.