Low Carb at College! Need a grocery list!

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
Hey there. Im cutting with low carbs right now and I'm going f*cking insane because I'm alway hungry. I always eat ultra clean with no alcohol so eating healthy is no issue. I only have a meal plan for 2 meals a day at the cafeteria (eat eggs at breakfast, turkey with spinach at supper) but I need somthing for the other 4 meals! I have peanut butter right now in my dorm room but I don't want to overdose on fats! I also have Isopure and Pro Complex protein both of which are low in carbs. What should I buy that can be stored in a mini fridge and cooked in a microwave? (no heat sources allowed).

Also regarding the low carb diet, how long is it reccomended to use such a diet (weeks) and how many grams of carbs should I shoot to be under (been trying for under 30 grams @ 5' 10" 173 lbs)

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
go to target...they sell a big thing of unsalted cashews for 10 bucks...its 30 1/4 cup servings.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
if you're doing low carb, how can you not be doing moderate to high fats? How are you meeting your caloric needs then? all protein??! you should be doing higher healthy fats on low carb...

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cottage Cheese FTW!!!

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
if you're doing low carb, how can you not be doing moderate to high fats? How are you meeting your caloric needs then? all protein??! you should be doing higher healthy fats on low carb...
It was poor phrasing on my part. Instead of saying overdosing on fats, I should have said overdosing on PB.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
I take it you live in the dorms? Most dorms that I know of have some sort of community kitchen. Go in there one day when you have some extra time (sunday preferably) and make some meat. Whole chickens, a couple pounds of ground beef, a bunch of chicken thighs, hamburgers..... whatever. make a **** ton of it (enough to last you through the week), put in tupperware and then put in your minifridge (assuming you have one) and eat it as you please. If you don't have a fridge..... well then you're ****ed. Just about all keto foods are of the "refrigeration variety ".

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
I take it you live in the dorms? Most dorms that I know of have some sort of community kitchen. Go in there one day when you have some extra time (sunday preferably) and make some meat. Whole chickens, a couple pounds of ground beef, a bunch of chicken thighs, hamburgers..... whatever. make a **** ton of it (enough to last you through the week), put in tupperware and then put in your minifridge (assuming you have one) and eat it as you please. If you don't have a fridge..... well then you're ****ed. Just about all keto foods are of the "refrigeration variety ".
Sounds like a great idea man. How bout canned tuna?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
CostCo - boneless pork loin $1.99/lb
CostCo - ground turkey $2.39/lb

CostCo -everything else!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Avocado

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
look for this stuff anyhow
at walmart

also there are pork rinds that either are regular bags, or there are microwavable ones

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
That's the first time I've ever seen someone actually RECOMMENDING porkrinds lol.

joelast

joelast

Awards
I'm in a similar situation as your, I have a ton of mixed nuts, PB, cotage cheese, Hard boiled eggs from my mess hall, Beef Jerky (try to limit this cuz of sodium and money), canned tuna, these tyson chicken packets. Some of my buddys have skillets and jsut hide them away during the day, and i can cook a few meals a week on those. It sucks but its def doable.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best thing on earth on a ketogenic diet :D if you get the already made ones from a hispanic market, they tend to be really big ones, chicharones that are great to use as a scoop for tuna or egg salad :D

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
best thing on earth on a ketogenic diet :D if you get the already made ones from a hispanic market, they tend to be really big ones, chicharones that are great to use as a scoop for tuna or egg salad :D
Straight up. I like to use them as a replacement for tortilla chips with salsa!!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
here is the nutrition data on them

Serving Size 1/2 oz (14.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 80Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.0g8%
Saturated Fat 2.0g10%
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 270mg11%
Protein 9.0g

and honestly as fluffy as they are 1/2 oz is a fair bit of them. if you do a tuna salad light on the mayo, it works quite nicely

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I always like some block cheese when I do a Carb-cycling diet, just don't go crazy on the stuff!

Otherwise check through the recipes forum, there's ALOT of great foods that can be made on a diet like this, like the sugar-free jello/baking soda/protein powder brownies that can be made in a matter of minutes in a microwave.

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
cant find that damn naturally more PB anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
PB
Peanuts
Sausage
Beef
Bratwurst
String Cheese
Marble Jack Cheese
Eggs
Pepperoni
Turkey Burgers
Ground Pork

Repeat

________
I eat for about 45$ a week

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i forgot on the eggs, they sell a microwave doohickey you can use to hard boil eggs

looks gay, but works decent

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The 5g of sugars per 1/2cup of cottage cheese is acceptable on low-carb diets?
You don't necessarily need to eat a half cup at a time. I ate small amount with some eggs yesterday just to change up the flavor some. I definitely didn't use a half cup either. It was just a thought and understand your point.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm mostly sticking to caseins, milk isolate/concentrate or proteins from whole foods. After doing a bunch of reading, it seems like the advantage of whey as a PWO is so small that having eaten a good preworkout meal of a slower protein is more valuable. The faster proteins do go into bloodstream faster (and BCAAs/EAAs the fastest of course) but the faster they go in the more likely they are to cause protein oxidation, so the net gain in protein is almost the same, potentially lower. And since with something like casein or a milk protein (which is usually around 75% casein/25% whey) you keep a high level in bloodstream for as long as 8 hours, its a lot simpler. Heck if you wanted to you could take a 60g casein shake every 8 hours and not worry about getting protein from your solid foods.

Even at that, i think in the last week i've had 1 shake? maybe 2 tops. but i go thru milk and cottage cheese like crazy.