Things I've learned

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
A small compilation/work-in-progress of things that I've picked up and realized over the past few years.

Things I've Learned (Nutrition):

Fasted Weight-Training really isn't the Devil -

For the longest time I avoided fasted cardiovascular and anaerobic training like they were the plague. Why? Mostly due to my (wrongly held) belief that they would most surely strip me of all of my hard earned muscle. I've been, for the last 30 days, training in a fasted state anywhere from 1-2 hours after waking. I have done so in an effort to lose body fat. It has worked, most certainly. It has far greater implications, IMO, than just burning higher amounts of fat due to the fasted state. It's an excellent tool for decreasing overall daily calorie intake for those of us who are attempting to lose weight. Not having the traditional breakfast will cut out around 500 calories for most people, easily. After doing this for 1 month, I've discovered that this form of training really just IS NOT going to strip away an appreciable amount of my lean mass either. It just hasn't happened. Sure, I've lost some muscle, when dieting however, this is generally permitted to a degree, and this degree has not been reached, by any means. Lastly, training in a fasted state just makes sense when you realize that our ancestors - who were in amazing shape, mind you - would "train" fasted everyday while hunting down their meals for the rest of the day. Without doubt, this was some rather high intensity "training." With all of that said, fasted weight-training, is NOT the demon I believed it to be.

Carbohydrates may not be responsible for making people fat, but Grains most certainly are! -

Are grains completely terrible, no, not at all. However, they are a rather calorie dense form of carbohydrates, and impact insulin levels to a far greater degree than either fruits or vegetables. I cut out grains about 2 months ago based on some reading I did (The Paleo Diet; Loren Cordain). Since that time, it has been markedly more easy to lost body fat than it has been in the past. Plus, I can't help but believe that my overall health is surely benefiting from this change. Pound for pound, fruits and vegetables contain far more beneficial nutrients than most all grains. Not only are fruits and veggies great for you, they're certainly a fun way to eat. You can literally stuff yourself with a plate of veggies and feel full for hours, all while hardly impacting your calorie balance for the day. In my opinion, grains are NOT the answer, for any healthy individual.

rrm

Awards
A small compilation/work-in-progress of things that I've picked up and realized over the past few years.

Things I've Learned (Nutrition):

Fasted Weight-Training really isn't the Devil -

For the longest time I avoided fasted cardiovascular and anaerobic training like they were the plague. Why? Mostly due to my (wrongly held) belief that they would most surely strip me of all of my hard earned muscle. I've been, for the last 30 days, training in a fasted state anywhere from 1-2 hours after waking. I have done so in an effort to lose body fat. It has worked, most certainly. It has far greater implications, IMO, than just burning higher amounts of fat due to the fasted state. It's an excellent tool for decreasing overall daily calorie intake for those of us who are attempting to lose weight. Not having the traditional breakfast will cut out around 500 calories for most people, easily. After doing this for 1 month, I've discovered that this form of training really just IS NOT going to strip away an appreciable amount of my lean mass either. It just hasn't happened. Sure, I've lost some muscle, when dieting however, this is generally permitted to a degree, and this degree has not been reached, by any means. Lastly, training in a fasted state just makes sense when you realize that our ancestors - who were in amazing shape, mind you - would "train" fasted everyday while hunting down their meals for the rest of the day. Without doubt, this was some rather high intensity "training." With all of that said, fasted weight-training, is NOT the demon I believed it to be.

Carbohydrates may not be responsible for making people fat, but Grains most certainly are! -

Are grains completely terrible, no, not at all. However, they are a rather calorie dense form of carbohydrates, and impact insulin levels to a far greater degree than either fruits or vegetables. I cut out grains about 2 months ago based on some reading I did (The Paleo Diet; Loren Cordain). Since that time, it has been markedly more easy to lost body fat than it has been in the past. Plus, I can't help but believe that my overall health is surely benefiting from this change. Pound for pound, fruits and vegetables contain far more beneficial nutrients than most all grains. Not only are fruits and veggies great for you, they're certainly a fun way to eat. You can literally stuff yourself with a plate of veggies and feel full for hours, all while hardly impacting your calorie balance for the day. In my opinion, grains are NOT the answer, for any healthy individual.
Definatly have to agree with the veggies part and the part that grains are not the answer! :yup:

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fasted light cardio in the AM can do wonders when getting ready for a show.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I am going to give fasted training (with exception to BCAA use during weights)followed by fasted cardio a shot this week.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I am going to give fasted training (with exception to BCAA use during weights)followed by fasted cardio a shot this week.
Yeah BCAAs would be a good idea. Especially to preserve muscle.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man. Thus far I've only done fasted weight training in the AM.. The BCAAs sound like a great idea, esp since you'll be doing cardio also.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the grains. The only grains I eat are quinoa, which is a pretty low carb grain (28 g 6 fiber/serving) and is the only complete protein grain. It also has some good fat in it too. I also eat oatmeal, which has a great antioxidant, avenanthramide in it. This is only found in oats. Other than that, I don't touch grains, they suck.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the grains. The only grains I eat are quinoa, which is a pretty low carb grain (28 g 6 fiber/serving) and is the only complete protein grain. It also has some good fat in it too. I also eat oatmeal, which has a great antioxidant, avenanthramide in it. This is only found in oats. Other than that, I don't touch grains, they suck.
I think I need to look into getting some Quinoa. I've heard gooood things.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I cook it just like rice, rice cooker and all. Made some cheesy quinoa with chicken yesterday. Homemade cheese sauce, bread crumbs on top, baked for 15 min. It was delicious.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I cook it just like rice, rice cooker and all. Made some cheesy quinoa with chicken yesterday. Homemade cheese sauce, bread crumbs on top, baked for 15 min. It was delicious.
Bread crumbs?

What type man?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
just some generic italian flavored ones. just a couple sprinkles of them, too dense in calories to use overwhelmingly.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
just some generic italian flavored ones. just a couple sprinkles of them, too dense in calories to use overwhelmingly.
gotcha.

Was afraid you were using a good portion of them on there.. I was thinking "NOOOO!!"

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Haha no, just enough to give it a little crunch when baked. I'm big on trying to keep things well textured. Was going to add in broccoli but didn't get to the store to pick some up.