1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%

how much protien can your body handle at once

every where i look and and every one i ask say something different
    how much protien can your body takin in per meal?
    how long in between meals before your body can take in more protien?

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

As much as you can eat in one sitting.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

This is straight from an exercise physiology book:

The daily protein intake is used to maintain existing tissue protein, hormones, and enzymes. If more is taken in than is needed, the "extra" is oxidized for metabolic needs, and fat mass is not increased. The same is true for carbohydrates. Ingested carbohydrates are used to fill liver and muscle glycogen stores; the excess is oxidized and is not converted to fat. Carbohydrate intake promotes its own oxidation.When "extra" fat is added to the diet, the same amounts of carbohydrate, fat, and protein are oxidized as before; the extra fat is stored in adipose tissue. Fat intake does not promote its own oxidation. Fat oxidation is determined primarily by the difference between total energy expenditure and the amount of energy ingested in the form of carbohydrate and protein.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but you may get some idea from it.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.2%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post

The daily protein intake is used to maintain existing tissue protein, hormones, and enzymes. If more is taken in than is needed, the "extra" is oxidized for metabolic needs, and fat mass is not increased. The same is true for carbohydrates. Ingested carbohydrates are used to fill liver and muscle glycogen stores; the excess is oxidized and is not converted to fat. Carbohydrate intake promotes its own oxidation.When "extra" fat is added to the diet, the same amounts of carbohydrate, fat, and protein are oxidized as before; the extra fat is stored in adipose tissue. Fat intake does not promote its own oxidation. Fat oxidation is determined primarily by the difference between total energy expenditure and the amount of energy ingested in the form of carbohydrate and protein.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but you may get some idea from it.
    thats some great info right there.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.47%

Awesome info.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%

what does that mean
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    thats how I feel lol....after a workout sometimes I eat a whole bag of frozen shrimp which is 129 grams of protein
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gregmethews View Post
    every where i look and and every one i ask say something different
    how much protien can your body takin in per meal?
    how long in between meals before your body can take in more protien?
    When you say "take in" take in for what purpose? the body will do gluconeogenesis with any spare protein (thats turning it into glucose + glycogen), so you could eat 80% protein 20% fat for a 3000 cal diet and do ok.

Real absorption into muscle? well a pound of muscle is around 160g of protein. I dont know of much even in the way of gear that lets you build a pound a day of actual muscle for any length of time.

What my studies have shown is that for muscle building likely milk isolate taken as 30g of protein worth 6-8x a day is optimal for muscle repair and growth.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

Many studies have been done, which indicate that approximately--even intense exercisers; the body only needs 1.2 - 1.5 gram of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight per day, NOT pounds.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.33%

k thanks
    that helps
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I've found that I can get optimal use between 25-40 grams with whole foods. It isn't scientific but I haven't found better gains at a higher amount per meal. Those meals are usually 2-3 hours apart.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20%

Great thread! I always hear rumors that 30g at a time is the max you can absorb per meal naturally (and this only every 2.5 - 3 hours) I've also been told protein uptake could exceed 50g a sitting with anabolics. Of course this is just what I hear from the gym rats so I have no clue. Keep the posts coming hopefully someone has some published studies they can post.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

my information comes from a well documented and resources exercise physiology book which I used at the university level.

14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

my information comes from a well documented and resources exercise physiology book which I used at the university level.

right, and needs is a minimal measure, not a maximal one. the body is maintainable at that, and possibly some growth over time yes.
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

You do realize that no matter how much protein you take in your body will only use what it needs to maintain tissue and growth then will oxidize the rest... Which has been proven to be within that range. Anabolics are the exception..

16. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

You do realize that no matter how much protein you take in your body will only use what it needs to maintain tissue and growth then will oxidize the rest... Which has been proven to be within that range. Anabolics are the exception..

You do realize that most nutritional studies are horribly flawed, and don't cover all kinds of proteins and or amino acid mixes don't you?
  17. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

This is because your body has an amino acid pool and repair doesn't require as much protein as you think

18. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

Please explain why you believe all the studies that are done are flawed. If this were true they wouldn't get published.

19. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

Please explain why you believe all the studies that are done are flawed. If this were true they wouldn't get published.

Can you please post a specific study that proves your point instead of saying "a book i have that is used in college courses says it"
  20. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

No, thats not true. A study that shows that a certain population group within a certain level of statistical significance will only get certain results from a certain amount of a certain protein is provable. That doesn't prove that it is the maximum amount usable by resistance trained athletes of a certain muscular level already to build new muscle, particularly if eaten on a different schedule, with other dietary differences and a different protein form.
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

I'll post resources when I get home if you really think I'm incorrect

22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20%

Sorry russ, "Many studies" isn't exactly an objective term. I didn't mean to discredit your information, I was just looking for others to contribute and preferably do so citing sources. Or at least let us know where they obtained their info. (which you now have) Also it would be nice to know the anabolic side of the story too.
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

That's why multiple studies are done that's where the range comes into play.

24. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

I'll post resources when I get home if you really think I'm incorrect

it would be nice. a single study of a single protein type in a certain type of athlete(if they used athletes at all, they often use non-trained individuals or the elderly) doesn't prove that different types of athletes using a different protein source on a different dietary schedule would have the same results. I've looked, and i've never found any sort of universal study.
  25. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

I'll post those and anabolics when I get home

26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.68%

Russ, please start checking out some other sources than your exercise physiology book. You did the same thing in the other thread I read. Please read up on current studies through pubmed or science direct or something like that. Anything can get published as long as it relates correctly to the group being studied. Hardly any studies ever make inferences on to what else the study relates to. Many studies are flawed, yes. Many studies still get published, yes.

I've read in a few places, 12g of whey can be absorbed an hour. It really depends on how long the protein is actually in contact with the intestine where absorption occurs. Things such as fiber, protein type and fats can slow down or speed up the amount of time in transit.

Furthermore, there have been some studies that show certain proteases can help increase the amount of protein absorbed. The truth is, the amount absorbed is probably more than they think but less than the amount bodybuilders believe. The other question is, does the body really need that much protein to build muscle or not. Until we can do more human studies that aren't invasive or have better research methods, we won't know the answer. Right now there really don't exist any kind of tests that can be done to determine exactly how much is absorbed or needed.
  27. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.96%

Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Russ, please start checking out some other sources than your exercise physiology book. You did the same thing in the other thread I read. Please read up on current studies through pubmed or science direct or something like that. Anything can get published as long as it relates correctly to the group being studied. Hardly any studies ever make inferences on to what else the study relates to. Many studies are flawed, yes. Many studies still get published, yes.

I've read in a few places, 12g of whey can be absorbed an hour. It really depends on how long the protein is actually in contact with the intestine where absorption occurs. Things such as fiber, protein type and fats can slow down or speed up the amount of time in transit.

Furthermore, there have been some studies that show certain proteases can help increase the amount of protein absorbed. The truth is, the amount absorbed is probably more than they think but less than the amount bodybuilders believe. The other question is, does the body really need that much protein to build muscle or not. Until we can do more human studies that aren't invasive or have better research methods, we won't know the answer. Right now there really don't exist any kind of tests that can be done to determine exactly how much is absorbed or needed.
    I don't relate everything to a book. It just happens to be a few topics that I have recently reread in that book going back over some material. I read medical journals and other sources for information as well. It just happens that the text is a good resource for information to answer these questions. So, I take time to post them. I do not make this stuff up on my own and if didn't know anything about the topic I would admit or not reply. If my information isn't of use, then I won't reply anymore; I'll keep the knowledge to myself, and you can share your wealth of knowledge with everyone since obviously you know more about these topics and than one else. Forbid anyone with an exercise science degree and / or going for higher education know anything about what their talking about.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.56%

wow after reading this i knew a lot of people in my gym were morons. only if i could show them this and be like told ya so
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Yes!!! Correct me if I am wrong but especially when bulking...why does it matter? I usually shoot for anywhere between 20-50 but if I eat 50 and my body only absorbs 40 I'm still getting the calories right?
  30. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Yes!!! Correct me if I am wrong but especially when bulking...why does it matter? I usually shoot for anywhere between 20-50 but if I eat 50 and my body only absorbs 40 I'm still getting the calories right?
    yep
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.68%

The thing about calories from protein is that each gram that is broken down into glucose for fuel will actually provide less than the 4 cal/g because it takes a considerable amount of energy to break the protein down.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.38%

Great info guys, thanks!
  33. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.33%

I've read a study done at FIU which stated only about 60g protein gets absorbed and metabolised in one sitting
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.07%

yea, I have always figured between 50 and 65g of protein for one sitting. If we are talking a post work out shoot for the higher end, any other meal right around 50. Assuming you are actually doing intense work outs. If you want the gains, you will make sure your body is never starved for protein. Any extra is just some expensive calories.
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

50g per sitting = "magic number"?
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.9%

Hypothetically... Lets say you eat 40g of casein and 40g of whey in one sitting.

The whey will be used but so will the casein because its stretched out up to 6-8hrs? Correct?

Basically with the meal above... more protein would be used than say... 80g total from just chicken?
  37. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

Quote Originally Posted by robotj View Post
    Hypothetically... Lets say you eat 40g of casein and 40g of whey in one sitting.

The whey will be used but so will the casein because its stretched out up to 6-8hrs? Correct?

Basically with the meal above... more protein would be used than say... 80g total from just chicken?
    hypothetically, you can't use more than about 25g of whey anyhow. the casein is a little harder to say precisely, but 40g is in range still (might be as high as 50). But since there isn't a supplement company selling chicken breasts, there arent a lot of studies on how long digestion of chicken protein really takes, and how long it results in raised amino acids, and how long it puts + keeps you in protein synthesis and how much protein oxidation it causes......
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.1%

Wow, that's news! EJL, why only 25 grams of whey? and how often? Interesting info.
  39. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.92%

whey is usable at somewhere from 8-10g/hr absorption wise. any since meal of whey over 30g still shows negligible amino acids in blood stream at 4 hours. Its not totally "wasted" but the body will use gluconeogenesis and turn the protein into glucose instead if its more than it can use as protein. taking 10g whey an hour works out fine, or even down to taking 3-4g every 20 min. I made some pb+ whey "balls" that work out to about that much to try it, but its a total pita to do that long term so i gave up
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.1%

Great post! But what a bummer. This explains why I always felt that even though my Protein intake was not too high and total cals were on the low end, I seemed to slowly get fatter using whey as a staple shake, aside from meat and egg protein. I guessed it was some type of insulin spike...Thanks for the clarification!

Any suggestions on an alternative source that allows for a higher absorbtion rate, say, every 2-3 hours?

Shakes are critical for me, due to my work schedule which only allows very short breaks during the day. Only long enough to shove down some carbs and a shake.

Thanks again EJL!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
  2. Can My Body Handle All This At Once?
    By VolcomX311 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 01:36 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 02:18 AM
  4. HST for me, can i handle the sets?
    By Bean in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 12:24 AM
  5. How much protien can your body use at once?
    By T-Bar in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 07:26 PM