how much protien can your body handle at once

gregmethews

Awards
every where i look and and every one i ask say something different
how much protien can your body takin in per meal?
how long in between meals before your body can take in more protien?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
This is straight from an exercise physiology book:

The daily protein intake is used to maintain existing tissue protein, hormones, and enzymes. If more is taken in than is needed, the "extra" is oxidized for metabolic needs, and fat mass is not increased. The same is true for carbohydrates. Ingested carbohydrates are used to fill liver and muscle glycogen stores; the excess is oxidized and is not converted to fat. Carbohydrate intake promotes its own oxidation.When "extra" fat is added to the diet, the same amounts of carbohydrate, fat, and protein are oxidized as before; the extra fat is stored in adipose tissue. Fat intake does not promote its own oxidation. Fat oxidation is determined primarily by the difference between total energy expenditure and the amount of energy ingested in the form of carbohydrate and protein.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but you may get some idea from it.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established

The daily protein intake is used to maintain existing tissue protein, hormones, and enzymes. If more is taken in than is needed, the "extra" is oxidized for metabolic needs, and fat mass is not increased. The same is true for carbohydrates. Ingested carbohydrates are used to fill liver and muscle glycogen stores; the excess is oxidized and is not converted to fat. Carbohydrate intake promotes its own oxidation.When "extra" fat is added to the diet, the same amounts of carbohydrate, fat, and protein are oxidized as before; the extra fat is stored in adipose tissue. Fat intake does not promote its own oxidation. Fat oxidation is determined primarily by the difference between total energy expenditure and the amount of energy ingested in the form of carbohydrate and protein.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but you may get some idea from it.
thats some great info right there.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established

Awesome info.

darkshadow

Awards
As much as you can eat in one sitting.
thats how I feel lol....after a workout sometimes I eat a whole bag of frozen shrimp which is 129 grams of protein

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
every where i look and and every one i ask say something different
how much protien can your body takin in per meal?
how long in between meals before your body can take in more protien?
When you say "take in" take in for what purpose? the body will do gluconeogenesis with any spare protein (thats turning it into glucose + glycogen), so you could eat 80% protein 20% fat for a 3000 cal diet and do ok.

Real absorption into muscle? well a pound of muscle is around 160g of protein. I dont know of much even in the way of gear that lets you build a pound a day of actual muscle for any length of time.

What my studies have shown is that for muscle building likely milk isolate taken as 30g of protein worth 6-8x a day is optimal for muscle repair and growth.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Many studies have been done, which indicate that approximately--even intense exercisers; the body only needs 1.2 - 1.5 gram of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight per day, NOT pounds.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've found that I can get optimal use between 25-40 grams with whole foods. It isn't scientific but I haven't found better gains at a higher amount per meal. Those meals are usually 2-3 hours apart.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
my information comes from a well documented and resources exercise physiology book which I used at the university level.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my information comes from a well documented and resources exercise physiology book which I used at the university level.

right, and needs is a minimal measure, not a maximal one. the body is maintainable at that, and possibly some growth over time yes.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You do realize that no matter how much protein you take in your body will only use what it needs to maintain tissue and growth then will oxidize the rest... Which has been proven to be within that range. Anabolics are the exception..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You do realize that no matter how much protein you take in your body will only use what it needs to maintain tissue and growth then will oxidize the rest... Which has been proven to be within that range. Anabolics are the exception..

You do realize that most nutritional studies are horribly flawed, and don't cover all kinds of proteins and or amino acid mixes don't you?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
This is because your body has an amino acid pool and repair doesn't require as much protein as you think

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Please explain why you believe all the studies that are done are flawed. If this were true they wouldn't get published.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Please explain why you believe all the studies that are done are flawed. If this were true they wouldn't get published.

Can you please post a specific study that proves your point instead of saying "a book i have that is used in college courses says it"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

No, thats not true. A study that shows that a certain population group within a certain level of statistical significance will only get certain results from a certain amount of a certain protein is provable. That doesn't prove that it is the maximum amount usable by resistance trained athletes of a certain muscular level already to build new muscle, particularly if eaten on a different schedule, with other dietary differences and a different protein form.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'll post resources when I get home if you really think I'm incorrect

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
That's why multiple studies are done that's where the range comes into play.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll post resources when I get home if you really think I'm incorrect

it would be nice. a single study of a single protein type in a certain type of athlete(if they used athletes at all, they often use non-trained individuals or the elderly) doesn't prove that different types of athletes using a different protein source on a different dietary schedule would have the same results. I've looked, and i've never found any sort of universal study.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'll post those and anabolics when I get home

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Russ, please start checking out some other sources than your exercise physiology book. You did the same thing in the other thread I read. Please read up on current studies through pubmed or science direct or something like that. Anything can get published as long as it relates correctly to the group being studied. Hardly any studies ever make inferences on to what else the study relates to. Many studies are flawed, yes. Many studies still get published, yes.

I've read in a few places, 12g of whey can be absorbed an hour. It really depends on how long the protein is actually in contact with the intestine where absorption occurs. Things such as fiber, protein type and fats can slow down or speed up the amount of time in transit.

Furthermore, there have been some studies that show certain proteases can help increase the amount of protein absorbed. The truth is, the amount absorbed is probably more than they think but less than the amount bodybuilders believe. The other question is, does the body really need that much protein to build muscle or not. Until we can do more human studies that aren't invasive or have better research methods, we won't know the answer. Right now there really don't exist any kind of tests that can be done to determine exactly how much is absorbed or needed.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Russ, please start checking out some other sources than your exercise physiology book. You did the same thing in the other thread I read. Please read up on current studies through pubmed or science direct or something like that. Anything can get published as long as it relates correctly to the group being studied. Hardly any studies ever make inferences on to what else the study relates to. Many studies are flawed, yes. Many studies still get published, yes.

I've read in a few places, 12g of whey can be absorbed an hour. It really depends on how long the protein is actually in contact with the intestine where absorption occurs. Things such as fiber, protein type and fats can slow down or speed up the amount of time in transit.

Furthermore, there have been some studies that show certain proteases can help increase the amount of protein absorbed. The truth is, the amount absorbed is probably more than they think but less than the amount bodybuilders believe. The other question is, does the body really need that much protein to build muscle or not. Until we can do more human studies that aren't invasive or have better research methods, we won't know the answer. Right now there really don't exist any kind of tests that can be done to determine exactly how much is absorbed or needed.
I don't relate everything to a book. It just happens to be a few topics that I have recently reread in that book going back over some material. I read medical journals and other sources for information as well. It just happens that the text is a good resource for information to answer these questions. So, I take time to post them. I do not make this stuff up on my own and if didn't know anything about the topic I would admit or not reply. If my information isn't of use, then I won't reply anymore; I'll keep the knowledge to myself, and you can share your wealth of knowledge with everyone since obviously you know more about these topics and than one else. Forbid anyone with an exercise science degree and / or going for higher education know anything about what their talking about.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established

wow after reading this i knew a lot of people in my gym were morons. only if i could show them this and be like told ya so

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
As much as you can eat in one sitting.
Yes!!! Correct me if I am wrong but especially when bulking...why does it matter? I usually shoot for anywhere between 20-50 but if I eat 50 and my body only absorbs 40 I'm still getting the calories right?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes!!! Correct me if I am wrong but especially when bulking...why does it matter? I usually shoot for anywhere between 20-50 but if I eat 50 and my body only absorbs 40 I'm still getting the calories right?
yep

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The thing about calories from protein is that each gram that is broken down into glucose for fuel will actually provide less than the 4 cal/g because it takes a considerable amount of energy to break the protein down.

redhawk

Awards
I've read a study done at FIU which stated only about 60g protein gets absorbed and metabolised in one sitting

briancogs888

Awards
yea, I have always figured between 50 and 65g of protein for one sitting. If we are talking a post work out shoot for the higher end, any other meal right around 50. Assuming you are actually doing intense work outs. If you want the gains, you will make sure your body is never starved for protein. Any extra is just some expensive calories.

robotj

Awards
Hypothetically... Lets say you eat 40g of casein and 40g of whey in one sitting.

The whey will be used but so will the casein because its stretched out up to 6-8hrs? Correct?

Basically with the meal above... more protein would be used than say... 80g total from just chicken?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hypothetically... Lets say you eat 40g of casein and 40g of whey in one sitting.

The whey will be used but so will the casein because its stretched out up to 6-8hrs? Correct?

Basically with the meal above... more protein would be used than say... 80g total from just chicken?
hypothetically, you can't use more than about 25g of whey anyhow. the casein is a little harder to say precisely, but 40g is in range still (might be as high as 50). But since there isn't a supplement company selling chicken breasts, there arent a lot of studies on how long digestion of chicken protein really takes, and how long it results in raised amino acids, and how long it puts + keeps you in protein synthesis and how much protein oxidation it causes......

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
Wow, that's news! EJL, why only 25 grams of whey? and how often? Interesting info.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whey is usable at somewhere from 8-10g/hr absorption wise. any since meal of whey over 30g still shows negligible amino acids in blood stream at 4 hours. Its not totally "wasted" but the body will use gluconeogenesis and turn the protein into glucose instead if its more than it can use as protein. taking 10g whey an hour works out fine, or even down to taking 3-4g every 20 min. I made some pb+ whey "balls" that work out to about that much to try it, but its a total pita to do that long term so i gave up

Brenn

Brenn

Awards
Great post! But what a bummer. This explains why I always felt that even though my Protein intake was not too high and total cals were on the low end, I seemed to slowly get fatter using whey as a staple shake, aside from meat and egg protein. I guessed it was some type of insulin spike...Thanks for the clarification!

Any suggestions on an alternative source that allows for a higher absorbtion rate, say, every 2-3 hours?

Shakes are critical for me, due to my work schedule which only allows very short breaks during the day. Only long enough to shove down some carbs and a shake.

Thanks again EJL!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cottage cheese, casein, milk, milk protein isolate. Trueprotein has their milk isolate at around $7/lb which is pretty nice, their premium flavors are great too.

gekkoboy14

Awards

this is wrong

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Agree'd... there is some very faulty reasoning in that excerpt

supplementpimp

Awards
Man, do I tire of college types or people "studying" nutrition telling Athletes, casual and not so casual that absolutely you can only use x grams of protein per sitting. I know they mean well, but are way off base. There are so many factors that would go into such an equation, that no one can know for sure.

Okay, by their arguments Shaq and a 110lb gymnast will absorb and utilize the same amount of protein at the same rate....yeah right.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man, do I tire of college types or people "studying" nutrition telling Athletes, casual and not so casual that absolutely you can only use x grams of protein per sitting. I know they mean well, but are way off base. There are so many factors that would go into such an equation, that no one can know for sure.

Okay, by their arguments Shaq and a 110lb gymnast will absorb and utilize the same amount of protein at the same rate....yeah right.

russy russ tends to post things only in his "books".

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I use the 25-50 gram rule.

I try for at least 25 grams per meal for "important" meals. Pre workout, post workout, breakfast, last meal of day.

I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use the 25-50 gram rule.

I try for at least 25 grams per meal for "important" meals. Pre workout, post workout, breakfast, last meal of day.

I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
yeah, plus so long as total calories fall in line, and you treat potentially excess protein as falling into the low GI/GL carbs category, it doesn't hurt, so long as you aren't going above 300~350g a day of protein. above that for extended periods (as a 200lb man) is a bit iffy.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
yeah, plus so long as total calories fall in line, and you treat potentially excess protein as falling into the low GI/GL carbs category, it doesn't hurt, so long as you aren't going above 300~350g a day of protein. above that for extended periods (as a 200lb man) is a bit iffy.
The only day i might get more than 350 grams of protein would be the day after legs..My normal daily protein intake honestly is usually round 150-250g's...

It seems the night of squats/deads and the following day my hunger is sickening..........I dont even pay attention to what Im eating usally- j/k. lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if i'm eating clean its really hard to get that much in other than relying on shakes. really i question calling relying on shakes eating clean :)

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
if i'm eating clean its really hard to get that much in other than relying on shakes. really i question calling relying on shakes eating clean :)
X2...........2 shake ED limit rule.

1 am Cycle support spiked shake, and 1 pm Cycle Support spiked shake........ I honestly like the way CS chocolate mixes with my protein. I do one month on, one month off CS.

the rest is beef, chicken, nuts, natty peanut butter, eggs, etc.......... brown rice. yummy.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established

Right now I'm a Nutrition (Dietetics) undergrad and I totally identify with you... the protein intakes that the texts books I'm required to read just piss me off. No matter how you look at it, a 50 gram protein RDI is not going to put on any quality size for an athlete.

But at the same time, there is a point of diminishing returns with protein intake in one sitting. And the Shaq argument is totally on base.

One of our nutrition teachers, in his lecture powerpoint, was going over protein and made the point of bringing up how "un-needed" protein supplements were. He of course, made his point by displaying a picture of the Governator in his bodybuilding days and saying that this was more due to the steroids than his massive protein intake. I just about ran across the lecture hall and slapped him. Once he goes off the juice he's still going to need more than 50g of protein to support his gains. I dubiously reject any science that says a 250 lb bodybuilder is going to maintain his muscle at 50g of protein a day.

Sometime later this day I'll post some of my favorite passages from one of my textbooks. There are real dandies in there.

supplementpimp

Awards
Ok, Russ it looks like you are at least a reasonable student of nutrition. It will take lots more with an open mind to change these dinosaur professors.