To those who use a George Foreman grill

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
alright, so i've had my Foreman for awhile now and love to use it becaues it cooks fast, period. So my question is to those who use it, how do you guys clean yours? Do you clean it right after you are done cooking?

For me, I use mine like 2-3 times a day and cleaning it seriously becomes a bitch. I can't IMMEDIATELY clean it after i'm done using it because the grill is still hot and would burn w/e im using to clean it with. Sometimes I just don't clean it at all and will just wipe it down before I use it again. And overall lately I'm thinking of just not using it anymore and get a mini grill for a couple reasons

1. Flame grill > electric grill ANYDAY. Honestly, the difference is there believe it or not. A steak on a Foreman is just not as good when cooked over a hot flame

and

2. I cannot just put the meat on the Foreman. This is the one thing that has bugged me about this thing. If your meat is thicker than inch, good luck not searing the sh*t out of the outside of your meat. I have to always cut of my chicken or thin out my steak or split my sausages if I'm cooking it on there. If I just slapped a breast or two on there, by the time it gets done cooking it THOROUGHLY, the outside will just be straight dark, dry and hard - HORRIBLE

I'd rather take the time for my meat to cook and have it be tender and juicy over a hot flame just like the way it's intended. I bought a BBQ scraper from Walmart yesterday and i tried to use it on the Foreman, straight up scratched the crap out of the plates. Again, just too much hassle for something that should be easy. I'm obviously doing something wrong but if you guys have any suggestions on cleaning it up, I'd apprecite it, otherwise I'm heading to Walmart and picking me up a mini grill.

btw, I usually clean my Foreman by taking it by the sink and rinsing it under hot water, UNFORTUNATELY theres two sides of the plate, top and bottom. and the top, again, is a bitch to rinse. And I also use this thing at least 2-3 times a day which makes this such a hassle, when on a flame grill, all i have to do is scrape the cage and empty the grill.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
alright, so i've had my Foreman for awhile now and love to use it becaues it cooks fast, period. So my question is to those who use it, how do you guys clean yours? Do you clean it right after you are done cooking?

For me, I use mine like 2-3 times a day and cleaning it seriously becomes a bitch. I can't IMMEDIATELY clean it after i'm done using it because the grill is still hot and would burn w/e im using to clean it with. Sometimes I just don't clean it at all and will just wipe it down before I use it again. And overall lately I'm thinking of just not using it anymore and get a mini grill for a couple reasons

1. Flame grill > electric grill ANYDAY. Honestly, the difference is there believe it or not. A steak on a Foreman is just not as good when cooked over a hot flame

and

2. I cannot just put the meat on the Foreman. This is the one thing that has bugged me about this thing. If your meat is thicker than inch, good luck not searing the sh*t out of the outside of your meat. I have to always cut of my chicken or thin out my steak or split my sausages if I'm cooking it on there. If I just slapped a breast or two on there, by the time it gets done cooking it THOROUGHLY, the outside will just be straight dark, dry and hard - HORRIBLE

I'd rather take the time for my meat to cook and have it be tender and juicy over a hot flame just like the way it's intended. I bought a BBQ scraper from Walmart yesterday and i tried to use it on the Foreman, straight up scratched the crap out of the plates. Again, just too much hassle for something that should be easy. I'm obviously doing something wrong but if you guys have any suggestions on cleaning it up, I'd apprecite it, otherwise I'm heading to Walmart and picking me up a mini grill.

btw, I usually clean my Foreman by taking it by the sink and rinsing it under hot water, UNFORTUNATELY theres two sides of the plate, top and bottom. and the top, again, is a bitch to rinse. And I also use this thing at least 2-3 times a day which makes this such a hassle, when on a flame grill, all i have to do is scrape the cage and empty the grill.
what size of foreman do you have? if you're working out and a heavy protein junky you should invest in the largest one they offer which makes putting food in it much easier.

Also I NEVER wash mine, I always just wipe it down. Also spray a little PAM on the top and bottom before cooking, it makes cleaning it much easier. It is a chore to clean tho.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I just ditched my old g.f. grill for a larger one with removable grill plates, the thing is the best investment I have made in a while. Usually I will wipe my down with a doubled up paper towel right after I use it, drain the fat for the catcher, and wipe of the outside. About once a week I take the plates off and clean the whole thing real good and it really makes a difference for the overall greasiness and smell of the grill.
It amazes me how much fat these things cook off. I usually cook 1-2lbs of 80/20 ground beeg a day and I fill up a coffee can with run off fat about every 10 days.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i have a george foreman grill :( my g/f gave it to me for christmas. somehow she forgot that i cook everything in olive oil or bacon grease :) that grill spells the doom of the ecto.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have the one with removable plates that you can throw in the dishwasher but before that I would use a paper towel ( several ) wet ones while it was hot and clean it.

Its good for bison burgers etc but it does cook the outside too fast. I even have one that I can adjust the temperature and still like you say about the thickness so sometimes I butterfly chicken or just cut in 2 thinner pieces.

its too darn cold up north to be cooking on the grill in -14 :D not worth it to me !!!!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, not sure which one you have, but the small one I have has a sort of floating hing in the back that allows you to put in a thick sized portion of meat, I think its the four burger cooker?, although I will agree that the outside does cook quick, I dont mind it too much and I flip whatever Im cooking so that it gets more evenly cooked, first one way with the grill lines like this ||||| then flip it sorta sideways so the lines are like this ===, so whatever Im cooking gets a nice cross pattern of searing. Also a nonstick spray sometimes help with fish and keeping it from burning too badly, again I dont mind my stuff a little more well done. And cleaning, I agree with FNF, take a few wet paper towels, either rub it down, or simply lay them onto the grill, then spong soap it later, it should make cleaning easier.

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
i have the smalles foreman, and im going to upgrade soon to the foreman 360. As far as cleaning goes, as soon as im done using it i take a couple dampened paper towels and just lay it on the grill and close it. just let it sit around until your going to use it again take the paper towel off and everything should come off very easitly with a paper towel and your good to go! also i generally cook chicken on my foreman and i either butterfly it, pound it, or just rotate it everyonce inawhile.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
ya i have the big plated silver one. its bigger than normal sized foremans, lets me cook about 6 quarter pounder burgers or 3 large chicken breasts. but it doesnt have the floating hinge, i know what your talking about, that would def. help with the cooking.

i figured this is what i have to do, get some degreaser and spray it down immediately after cooking then wipe it down while its just warming down. i should look into the removable plates, that would make it 10x easier to clean because mines pretty hefty and takes up quite some counter space. and never clean the plates with a BBQ scraper, it scratches the teflon up pretty bad. i dont think thats good.

natas9

natas9

Awards
I've bought all different sizes of GF grills over the years and the one thing I've noticed: the bigger the grill, the less teflon it seems to have. I've had small ones last me a couple of years or more with easy clean-up, but literally burnt up the nonstick coating on the huge grills in about 8 mos. Atleast to the point of not being able to use it without scrubbing it every time. I'm shopping for another one right now (indeed, my current one is fried) and I think I'm going for the one with the removable plates since everyone seems to like it.
As far as thicker meats like steaks go... I've found that broiling is the best thing next to outdoor grilling for me. I bought a very good nonstick broiler pan and I cook up several full chicken breasts, thick steaks, chops, whatever in about 6-9 min per side and they come out juicier and more flavorful than anything off the Foreman. It may take just a little bit longer, but not so much if you factor in the clean-up time on the same quantity of meat on a large GF.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The larger ones with the removable grill plates are the best. I just recently started cooking everything in a skillet. Once I can get a place that will allow me to have a grill, I will never cook meat in a pan again!

Damitri

Awards
I got the larger one, it works best...as everyone's mentioned.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
Correction, mine does have the floating hinge. I just noticed it today when I went to cook my porterhouse. BTW, first time I ever had porterhouse and I can proudly say is now my favorite cut, medium-well, the way this thing melted in mouth, O...M...G, hehe. I haven't tried filet mignon yet, which I hear is incredible nor have I had Kobe beef/steak which I hear is to die for.

And also the easiest way I found to clean the Foreman is to just take it by your sink and rinse the plates with off hottt water using a spray nozel if you have one. It only works well to rinse if you have a spray nozel, other than that I wouldn't recommend rinsing it entirely under the faucet. I've come to the conclusion that you just have to clean often, dont be lazy.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have the one with removable plates that you can throw in the dishwasher but before that I would use a paper towel ( several ) wet ones while it was hot and clean it.

Its good for bison burgers etc but it does cook the outside too fast. I even have one that I can adjust the temperature and still like you say about the thickness so sometimes I butterfly chicken or just cut in 2 thinner pieces.

its too darn cold up north to be cooking on the grill in -14 :D not worth it to me !!!!
Grillin' weather isn't too bad in the mid 60's-70's down here in dear ole florida this time of year. ;)

You're always welcome down here, FNF. :popcorn: