I can't wrap my head around...

  1. I can't wrap my head around...


    that apples are low on the GI list, but wheats are high..


  2. The Glycemic Index is done by evaluating 50g of Carbohydrates by how they affect blood sugar. The problem is that 50g of one thing is not equal to another. Things like carrots 50g would be way more than you would eat in a sitting. There is a lot of talk about this on the net and many nutritionists are saying Glycemic Load is a better indicator.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Chargerfball25 View Post
    The Glycemic Index is done by evaluating 50g of Carbohydrates by how they affect blood sugar. The problem is that 50g of one thing is not equal to another. Things like carrots 50g would be way more than you would eat in a sitting. There is a lot of talk about this on the net and many nutritionists are saying Glycemic Load is a better indicator.
    Funny you should mention carrots. I've eaten 5lbs in the past 3 days I just re-discovered how great they taste with some roasted garlic and vegetable seasoning sprinkled on. Good call on the glycemic load though; that and GI should be looked at.
    •   
       


  4. The sugar in fruits is not usable by the body until it has been processed in the liver (I forget into what form of sugar) But this takes time, and that is why most fruits are low on the GI list

  5. so wheats are still preferred for complex carbs?

  6. 100% whole wheat anything is always the superior choice.


  7. i've really stuck to oats lately. i've been looking for ezekiel bread but can't find it anywhere around here. other than that i look for breads that are whole wheat and no HFCS

  8. Love Oats I eat a bunch everyday. Ya as far as bread make sure it's 100% and you are good to go. Good call on avoiding HFCS, bad stuff.


  9. Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    i've really stuck to oats lately. i've been looking for ezekiel bread but can't find it anywhere around here. other than that i look for breads that are whole wheat and no HFCS
    Sara lee makes a good one, no HFCS, 100% whole wheat...good enough to eat plain. I have a whole loaf in my desk here at work.

  10. The sugar in fruits is not usable by the body until it has been processed in the liver (I forget into what form of sugar) But this takes time, and that is why most fruits are low on the GI list
    The monosaccharide in fruits is fructose... that and the third monosaccharide galactose have to be taken to the liver in order to metabolized into glucose (otherwise known as dextrose).

  11. I used to get Sara Lee...but the kind I kept finding did have HFCS. I switched over to brownberry whole wheat. Its pretty good, but actually I haven't had any bread in a while, I've stuck mostly to oats and sweet potatoes.

  12. Yea man.... at work i just nuke some precooked butterball turkey sausages and use the sara lee bread as hotdog bun sort of. Its good times and it may be a new recipe but the kind i get is HFCS free and pretty cheap.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV View Post
    The sugar in fruits is not usable by the body until it has been processed in the liver (I forget into what form of sugar) But this takes time, and that is why most fruits are low on the GI list
    As far as I remember, fructose does not have to be converted to glucose in order to be utilized.

  14. As far as I remember, fructose does not have to be converted to glucose in order to be utilized.
    Yes it does.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    Yes it does.
    Thanks for the engaging discourse.

    Furthermore, we do not possess an enzyme that can catalyze conversion of F-1-P to F-6-P. We must therefore split F-1-P into two 3-carbon fragments, dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde. The latter is then phosphorylated at the expense of an ATP. The resulting DAP and GAP then enter glycolysis and can, in theory, enter gluconeogenesis or aerobic glycolysis.

    Although DAP and GAP can be converted to glucose, it takes considerable energy to do so it is not likely since fructose in rapidly metabolized in the liver.

  16. Thanks for the engaging discourse.
    No problem.

    Furthermore, we do not possess an enzyme that can catalyze conversion of F-1-P to F-6-P. We must therefore split F-1-P into two 3-carbon fragments, dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde. The latter is then phosphorylated at the expense of an ATP. The resulting DAP and GAP then enter glycolysis and can, in theory, enter gluconeogenesis or aerobic glycolysis.

    Although DAP and GAP can be converted to glucose, it takes considerable energy to do so it is not likely since fructose in rapidly metabolized in the liver.
    I think I just misunderstood your initial post. I was thinking of utilized in the context of fructose molecules being present in the bloodstream along with glucose. My apologies. And I even learned something new today!

  17. Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    No problem.



    I think I just misunderstood your initial post. I was thinking of utilized in the context of fructose molecules being present in the bloodstream along with glucose. My apologies. And I even learned something new today!
    Sorry for the sarcasm. Fructose can (and is) converted to glucose -- that is sure. It does not need to be though and unlike glucose does not pass through the liver into the blood stream but is metabolized quickly by the liver. The enzyme required to initiate fructose metabolism (fructokinase) is only found in the liver. Fructose is not a direct energy source for other tissues. Fructose metabolism is not controlled. It goes very quickly forward unrelated to hepatic energy utilization. This results in an increased synthesis of lipids and increased serum lipoproteins.

  18. Fructose metabolism is not controlled. It goes very quickly forward unrelated to hepatic energy utilization. This results in an increased synthesis of lipids and increased serum lipoproteins.
    My basic understand is that fructose is metabolized by the liver. So delving into the specifics is something I find rather interesting.

    What is fructose's role in liver glycogen then? Once or if liver glycogen stores are filled then DAP and GAP are preferentially metabolized into lipoproteins with minimal impact on blood glucose?
  19. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    so wheats are still preferred for complex carbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerfball25 View Post
    100% whole wheat anything is always the superior choice.


    ewwww no, wheat is towards the bottom of the list. Quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, oats are all far better choices. Bulgur wheat, couscous, etc. For the most part any baked goods kind of suck.

    that said, man I go thru a bunch of the thomases light whole grain english muffins no HFCS, 8g of fiber per muffin, and only 24g carbs TOTAL, so 16 net.

    otal Fat 1g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 190mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 5g 10%
    great with some natty pb and no sugar added jellies
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  20. Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    My basic understand is that fructose is metabolized by the liver. So delving into the specifics is something I find rather interesting.

    What is fructose's role in liver glycogen then? Once or if liver glycogen stores are filled then DAP and GAP are preferentially metabolized into lipoproteins with minimal impact on blood glucose?
    From what I read it seems that fructose is primarily matoblized to free fatty acds and secondarily to gluconeogenesis -- so it can have an impact on plasma glucose. Also, chronic consumption of fructose is a laboratory model for high cholesterol/hypertriglyceridemia due to the increase in fatty acid synthesis.

  21. From what I read it seems that fructose is primarily matoblized to free fatty acds and secondarily to gluconeogenesis -- so it can have an impact on plasma glucose. Also, chronic consumption of fructose is a laboratory model for high cholesterol/hypertriglyceridemia due to the increase in fatty acid synthesis.
    It's nice to have an "ah-ha" moment as the pieces of the puzzle come together. Now I have a better scientific understanding of the health impacts of HFCS besides the fact that ingesting high GI sugars isn't necessarily the best thing for ones body.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    ewwww no, wheat is towards the bottom of the list. Quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, oats are all far better choices. Bulgur wheat, couscous, etc. For the most part any baked goods kind of suck.

    that said, man I go thru a bunch of the thomases light whole grain english muffins no HFCS, 8g of fiber per muffin, and only 24g carbs TOTAL, so 16 net.



    great with some natty pb and no sugar added jellies


    yea man, i love those. I used to have one with nat pb and a sliced up banana

  23. Fructose is a lower GI sugar, but the peel of an apple also contains a decent amount of fiber, which lowers the GI of the fruit. Take the peel off and the GI goes up drasticaly. Watermelon, for example, is a higher GI fruit, due in part to the lack of fiber content.
  24. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    The thing to think about in your complex carbs is biological anthropology - how did we evolve, what were our primary food sources through that. really "whole grains" we would have almost never eaten, other than if some happened to be in the stomach of an animal we were eating
    Animis Rep
    facebook.com/xAnimis
    animis.org/forum

  25. Quote Originally Posted by redemption79 View Post
    Fructose is a lower GI sugar, but the peel of an apple also contains a decent amount of fiber, which lowers the GI of the fruit. Take the peel off and the GI goes up drasticaly. Watermelon, for example, is a higher GI fruit, due in part to the lack of fiber content.
    Well if we're being picky about fiber, a medium apple has around 4.1g of fiber, and without the skin it's only about 3.5 [Source = Dr. Joe Schwarz's Book and Apple A day... but I couldnt find the exact #'s. very close to that though)

  26. are oats just oats? or are there like wheat oats or something?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
  2. Leviathan Re-loaded and Recreate (HEAD-2-HEAD Review)
    By SuppKnight in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM
  3. To wrap or not to wrap
    By jon1026 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
  4. To wrap or not to wrap
    By jon1026 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
  5. Neoprene wrap??
    By littlemark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Log in
Log in