I can't wrap my head around...

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
that apples are low on the GI list, but wheats are high..

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Glycemic Index is done by evaluating 50g of Carbohydrates by how they affect blood sugar. The problem is that 50g of one thing is not equal to another. Things like carrots 50g would be way more than you would eat in a sitting. There is a lot of talk about this on the net and many nutritionists are saying Glycemic Load is a better indicator.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Glycemic Index is done by evaluating 50g of Carbohydrates by how they affect blood sugar. The problem is that 50g of one thing is not equal to another. Things like carrots 50g would be way more than you would eat in a sitting. There is a lot of talk about this on the net and many nutritionists are saying Glycemic Load is a better indicator.
Funny you should mention carrots. I've eaten 5lbs in the past 3 days ;) I just re-discovered how great they taste with some roasted garlic and vegetable seasoning sprinkled on. Good call on the glycemic load though; that and GI should be looked at.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
The sugar in fruits is not usable by the body until it has been processed in the liver (I forget into what form of sugar) But this takes time, and that is why most fruits are low on the GI list

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
so wheats are still preferred for complex carbs?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
i've really stuck to oats lately. i've been looking for ezekiel bread but can't find it anywhere around here. other than that i look for breads that are whole wheat and no HFCS

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love Oats I eat a bunch everyday. Ya as far as bread make sure it's 100% and you are good to go. Good call on avoiding HFCS, bad stuff.

robotj

Awards
i've really stuck to oats lately. i've been looking for ezekiel bread but can't find it anywhere around here. other than that i look for breads that are whole wheat and no HFCS
Sara lee makes a good one, no HFCS, 100% whole wheat...good enough to eat plain. I have a whole loaf in my desk here at work. :)

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
The sugar in fruits is not usable by the body until it has been processed in the liver (I forget into what form of sugar) But this takes time, and that is why most fruits are low on the GI list
The monosaccharide in fruits is fructose... that and the third monosaccharide galactose have to be taken to the liver in order to metabolized into glucose (otherwise known as dextrose).

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I used to get Sara Lee...but the kind I kept finding did have HFCS. I switched over to brownberry whole wheat. Its pretty good, but actually I haven't had any bread in a while, I've stuck mostly to oats and sweet potatoes.

robotj

Awards
Yea man.... at work i just nuke some precooked butterball turkey sausages and use the sara lee bread as hotdog bun sort of. Its good times and it may be a new recipe but the kind i get is HFCS free and pretty cheap.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
As far as I remember, fructose does not have to be converted to glucose in order to be utilized.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Yes it does.
Thanks for the engaging discourse.

Furthermore, we do not possess an enzyme that can catalyze conversion of F-1-P to F-6-P. We must therefore split F-1-P into two 3-carbon fragments, dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde. The latter is then phosphorylated at the expense of an ATP. The resulting DAP and GAP then enter glycolysis and can, in theory, enter gluconeogenesis or aerobic glycolysis.

Although DAP and GAP can be converted to glucose, it takes considerable energy to do so it is not likely since fructose in rapidly metabolized in the liver.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the engaging discourse.
No problem.

Furthermore, we do not possess an enzyme that can catalyze conversion of F-1-P to F-6-P. We must therefore split F-1-P into two 3-carbon fragments, dihydroxyacetone phosphate and glyceraldehyde. The latter is then phosphorylated at the expense of an ATP. The resulting DAP and GAP then enter glycolysis and can, in theory, enter gluconeogenesis or aerobic glycolysis.

Although DAP and GAP can be converted to glucose, it takes considerable energy to do so it is not likely since fructose in rapidly metabolized in the liver.
I think I just misunderstood your initial post. I was thinking of utilized in the context of fructose molecules being present in the bloodstream along with glucose. My apologies. And I even learned something new today!

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
No problem.

I think I just misunderstood your initial post. I was thinking of utilized in the context of fructose molecules being present in the bloodstream along with glucose. My apologies. And I even learned something new today!
Sorry for the sarcasm. Fructose can (and is) converted to glucose -- that is sure. It does not need to be though and unlike glucose does not pass through the liver into the blood stream but is metabolized quickly by the liver. The enzyme required to initiate fructose metabolism (fructokinase) is only found in the liver. Fructose is not a direct energy source for other tissues. Fructose metabolism is not controlled. It goes very quickly forward unrelated to hepatic energy utilization. This results in an increased synthesis of lipids and increased serum lipoproteins.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Fructose metabolism is not controlled. It goes very quickly forward unrelated to hepatic energy utilization. This results in an increased synthesis of lipids and increased serum lipoproteins.
My basic understand is that fructose is metabolized by the liver. So delving into the specifics is something I find rather interesting.

What is fructose's role in liver glycogen then? Once or if liver glycogen stores are filled then DAP and GAP are preferentially metabolized into lipoproteins with minimal impact on blood glucose?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so wheats are still preferred for complex carbs?
100% whole wheat anything is always the superior choice.

ewwww no, wheat is towards the bottom of the list. Quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, oats are all far better choices. Bulgur wheat, couscous, etc. For the most part any baked goods kind of suck.

that said, man I go thru a bunch of the thomases light whole grain english muffins :D no HFCS, 8g of fiber per muffin, and only 24g carbs TOTAL, so 16 net.

otal Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 190mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Sugars 1g
Protein 5g 10%
great with some natty pb and no sugar added jellies :D

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
My basic understand is that fructose is metabolized by the liver. So delving into the specifics is something I find rather interesting.

What is fructose's role in liver glycogen then? Once or if liver glycogen stores are filled then DAP and GAP are preferentially metabolized into lipoproteins with minimal impact on blood glucose?
From what I read it seems that fructose is primarily matoblized to free fatty acds and secondarily to gluconeogenesis -- so it can have an impact on plasma glucose. Also, chronic consumption of fructose is a laboratory model for high cholesterol/hypertriglyceridemia due to the increase in fatty acid synthesis.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
From what I read it seems that fructose is primarily matoblized to free fatty acds and secondarily to gluconeogenesis -- so it can have an impact on plasma glucose. Also, chronic consumption of fructose is a laboratory model for high cholesterol/hypertriglyceridemia due to the increase in fatty acid synthesis.
It's nice to have an "ah-ha" moment as the pieces of the puzzle come together. Now I have a better scientific understanding of the health impacts of HFCS besides the fact that ingesting high GI sugars isn't necessarily the best thing for ones body.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
ewwww no, wheat is towards the bottom of the list. Quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, oats are all far better choices. Bulgur wheat, couscous, etc. For the most part any baked goods kind of suck.

that said, man I go thru a bunch of the thomases light whole grain english muffins :D no HFCS, 8g of fiber per muffin, and only 24g carbs TOTAL, so 16 net.

great with some natty pb and no sugar added jellies :D

yea man, i love those. I used to have one with nat pb and a sliced up banana

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
Fructose is a lower GI sugar, but the peel of an apple also contains a decent amount of fiber, which lowers the GI of the fruit. Take the peel off and the GI goes up drasticaly. Watermelon, for example, is a higher GI fruit, due in part to the lack of fiber content.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The thing to think about in your complex carbs is biological anthropology - how did we evolve, what were our primary food sources through that. really "whole grains" we would have almost never eaten, other than if some happened to be in the stomach of an animal we were eating

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fructose is a lower GI sugar, but the peel of an apple also contains a decent amount of fiber, which lowers the GI of the fruit. Take the peel off and the GI goes up drasticaly. Watermelon, for example, is a higher GI fruit, due in part to the lack of fiber content.
Well if we're being picky about fiber, a medium apple has around 4.1g of fiber, and without the skin it's only about 3.5 [Source = Dr. Joe Schwarz's Book and Apple A day... but I couldnt find the exact #'s. very close to that though)

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
are oats just oats? or are there like wheat oats or something?