canned tuna and mercury

jeiden

Awards
how much tuna is too much? the reason i ask is i used to eat 2 cans a day on my workout days. thats 5 days, so 10 cans a week. ive been doing this for over a year now and just recently cut back to just one can on workout days just to be safe.

so my question is-
how much tuna can u eat a day before mercury posioning becomes an issue?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its a very rare chance from what I remember. In fact a lot of use would be dead if it was a serious threat at all. I average 21 cans/week when bulking.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I believe canned tuna has a significantly reduced amount, but a fillet would have much more...

Fear

Fear

Awards
Its a very rare chance from what I remember. In fact a lot of use would be dead if it was a serious threat at all. I average 21 cans/week when bulking.
Consuming mercury is harmful regardless if it results in death or not. The amount of mercury in tuna is obviously very small, but it's there nonetheless. I don't think there is an absolute rule that says how much is okay to eat - which is also the reason why I'm cautious about eating too much of it. I eat a can every other day, but then again 80% of the contents of my fridge are organic (mom's a health nut) so maybe I should be eating more.

boo99

boo99

Awards
supposedly its to be one can per NINE days-------ya right-----its too convenient to give it up -- f that..

open a can in the car -- down the **** with water and theres 28g protein--

sucks we lost like 7g cause they made the cans SMALLER---asses--

also the cat food type -- cheap chunk---has less mercury in it as well--

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ehhhh moderation is key. I sometimes have tuna 4 days in a row and then none for 9 months.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm alive and kicking. I'll be sure to ask in my will to update this thread should I die of mercury poisoning.

theROOTS420

Awards
your eating mercury every time you eat tuna. To me, 21 cans a week sounds rediculous. I am surprised you dont have mercury poisining. I used to eat a lot of tuna and sushi so i had to cut down. I wouldnt go over 10 cans a week

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
If you're that concerned, look for "American Tuna" found at whole foods. They sell it in 4lb cans here. Its supposed to be mercury free.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
if it was really that bad do you think they would sell it the way they do? fish eat fish all day and i don't see a world wide epidemic of schools dying from mercury posioning?

i don't eat as much anymore cause i am sick of it but i've easily done 21 cans a week in the past. i am not saying its not possible, i just don't buy into the whole scare aspect of it. i'm with ryod on this one!

IRON4LIFE

IRON4LIFE

Awards
  • Established
i wouldn't worry about it bro...you've got bigger problems walking outside and breathing in the smog filled air...either way you look at it, your going to die from something..no sense in worrying too much about it...Look at it this way... roughly 180 million cans of yellowfin tuna are sold in the U.S. each year...how many cases of Mercury poisoning do you hear about...i think your ok

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Its not as much about mercury poisoning deaths, its more about the small changes in your body due to higher levels of mercury. Its a lot like the whole biphenol-A (BPA) stuff in plastic. Its not causing deaths or poisoning but it causes hormonal changes over time, or so they speculate.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
if it was really that bad do you think they would sell it the way they do?

fish eat fish all day and i don't see a world wide epidemic of schools dying from mercury posioning?
Like cigarettes and alcohol?

Kind of like dead rotting whale carcass should be fine to eat because other sea creatures do?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
if it was really that bad do you think they would sell it the way they do? fish eat fish all day and i don't see a world wide epidemic of schools dying from mercury posioning?

i don't eat as much anymore cause i am sick of it but i've easily done 21 cans a week in the past. i am not saying its not possible, i just don't buy into the whole scare aspect of it. i'm with ryod on this one!
Tuna is not a supplement. Therefore they sell it in small cans. If you look up mercury poisoning from tuna, there have been reports of 3 cans a week causing it in a healthy adult. They sell it like this, because they don't think anyone will eat 21 cans a week, who does that?

After all, you are trying to be healthy, mercury isn't something that you want to knowingly ingest. Buy the mercury free version if you are going to eat it that much IMO.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Is the tuna from whole foods really mercury free? I get all my tuna from whole foods.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The American Tuna brand is supposedly tested by Berkley? I want to say and the fish they test are found to have zero to very trace amounts which in turn means that one can of tuna likely has zero mercury but could have very very minute amounts.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The American Tuna brand is supposedly tested by Berkley? I want to say and the fish they test are found to have zero to very trace amounts which in turn means that one can of tuna likely has zero mercury but could have very very minute amounts.
Well thats good news for me. The tuna is really good.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Is the tuna from whole foods really mercury free? I get all my tuna from whole foods.
no...its called biological magnification. big fish eats the little fish. with that said the mercury aquired from the smaller fish then have the potential be become trapped into the larger one...so on and so on.

lowest mercury content from fish is cold water sources such as salmon.

also farm raised...which costs more!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Tuna is not a supplement. Therefore they sell it in small cans. If you look up mercury poisoning from tuna, there have been reports of 3 cans a week causing it in a healthy adult. They sell it like this, because they don't think anyone will eat 21 cans a week, who does that?

After all, you are trying to be healthy, mercury isn't something that you want to knowingly ingest. Buy the mercury free version if you are going to eat it that much IMO.
people on a budget, bodybuilders like us, people who simply love tuna.....

they also don't think people need to eat 3lb of beef or chicken a day either!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Like cigarettes and alcohol?

Kind of like dead rotting whale carcass should be fine to eat because other sea creatures do?
agreed...maybe they should id you for tuna too. everything is bad if overused/misused (which is why said its possible)...some things are just bad. cigaretes and achohol i don't see falling is this argument!

this reminds me of the salmonella from eggs debait...possible but extremely unlikely.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
how much tuna is too much? the reason i ask is i used to eat 2 cans a day on my workout days. thats 5 days, so 10 cans a week. ive been doing this for over a year now and just recently cut back to just one can on workout days just to be safe.

so my question is-
how much tuna can u eat a day before mercury posioning becomes an issue?
He was one of my chemistry professors when I was at the University of Kentucky:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Haley

We asked him the tuna question and he pretty much said not to worry about it. I can elaborate, but that's pretty much the bottom line. And he knows his stuff when it comes to mercury (look into him and you'll figure it out).

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
people on a budget, bodybuilders like us, people who simply love tuna.....

they also don't think people need to eat 3lb of beef or chicken a day either!
Tuna isn't as cheap as it used to be though. I could understand if it were still 35 cents a can, and the contents hadn't been downsized. Tuna is actually pretty expensive.

Even the cheap **** at the store is a little over $1 per can. So you figure $1.15 per can, then if you are eating 3 cans a day, that is 24.15 per week, and 96.60 monthly.

That is a big chunk of my monthly grocery bill. Tuna is not cheap IMO.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
"If it's not one thing, it's another. A recent Finnish study found that eating mercury-filled fish might undo any heart-health benefit of the omega-3 fatty acids it provides. Scientists tracked the diets of 1,871 men for 14 years and found that those who ate the most fish had higher mercury levels and were 60 to 70 percent more likely to develop heart disease. Mercury impairs arterial flexibility. To avoid it, reel in the right kind of fish. "Salmon are low in mercury because they eat mainly plankton, not other fish," says study author Jyrki Virtanen, Ph.D., R.D. Cod and whitefish are also light in the heavy metal."

I can not even imagine eating 5 cans a week. I rarely eat it mainly because chicken is cheaper and beef tastes better.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I can not even imagine eating 5 cans a week. I rarely eat it mainly because chicken is cheaper and beef tastes better.
I haven't eaten it in a while as I was bulking. There just isn't enough cals in it to be attractive to me during a bulk phase. I like it when on a recomp or cut though, cause it helps keep me full, and it isn't filled with cals/fat.

I still think it's horse **** how they downsized the cans though. Starkist solid white albacore (canned in water) for me. I used to eat the low sodium bumblebee albacore, but it is more expensive, and also very dry once the water is drained.

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
i was reading an article that said mercury lowers testosterone levels...research it because im not 100% sure where i read it.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
Tuna isn't as cheap as it used to be though. I could understand if it were still 35 cents a can, and the contents hadn't been downsized. Tuna is actually pretty expensive.

Even the cheap **** at the store is a little over $1 per can. So you figure $1.15 per can, then if you are eating 3 cans a day, that is 24.15 per week, and 96.60 monthly.

That is a big chunk of my monthly grocery bill. Tuna is not cheap IMO.
the grocery stores near me have cans under a dollar. I wanna say it was 58 cents but cant remember. I dont even think the nasty spongy bagged precooked chicken is cheaper price to protein

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the grocery stores near me have cans under a dollar. I wanna say it was 58 cents but cant remember. I dont even think the nasty spongy bagged precooked chicken is cheaper price to protein
Yeah I eat the albacore. Some of the stuff is a little under a dollar, but the meat isn't as good.

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
hmmm why would canned salmon mercury levels be so low compared to fresh salmon. If those stats are right canned salmon is the way to go if you can find it cheap enough. im going to price my local costco and see what it would run me

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I eat the albacore. Some of the stuff is a little under a dollar, but the meat isn't as good.
Oddly enough it is the more expensive albacore that has a higher mercury content! ha I have read a lot and most top nutritionists and chemists say that its nothin to worry about. You could alwasy look into chelation therapy to reduce levels of toxic metals after every bulk :shrug:

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
:lol: you pay extra for the mercury you guys

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
found some quality canned salmon at costco for 1.60 a can. i can handle that. With whole wheat pasta totaling at under 3 dollars a meal is not bad