canned tuna and mercury

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. "If it's not one thing, it's another. A recent Finnish study found that eating mercury-filled fish might undo any heart-health benefit of the omega-3 fatty acids it provides. Scientists tracked the diets of 1,871 men for 14 years and found that those who ate the most fish had higher mercury levels and were 60 to 70 percent more likely to develop heart disease. Mercury impairs arterial flexibility. To avoid it, reel in the right kind of fish. "Salmon are low in mercury because they eat mainly plankton, not other fish," says study author Jyrki Virtanen, Ph.D., R.D. Cod and whitefish are also light in the heavy metal."

I can not even imagine eating 5 cans a week. I rarely eat it mainly because chicken is cheaper and beef tastes better.

2. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post

I can not even imagine eating 5 cans a week. I rarely eat it mainly because chicken is cheaper and beef tastes better.
    I haven't eaten it in a while as I was bulking. There just isn't enough cals in it to be attractive to me during a bulk phase. I like it when on a recomp or cut though, cause it helps keep me full, and it isn't filled with cals/fat.

I still think it's horse **** how they downsized the cans though. Starkist solid white albacore (canned in water) for me. I used to eat the low sodium bumblebee albacore, but it is more expensive, and also very dry once the water is drained.
    •   

3. i was reading an article that said mercury lowers testosterone levels...research it because im not 100% sure where i read it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Tuna isn't as cheap as it used to be though. I could understand if it were still 35 cents a can, and the contents hadn't been downsized. Tuna is actually pretty expensive.

Even the cheap **** at the store is a little over $1 per can. So you figure $1.15 per can, then if you are eating 3 cans a day, that is 24.15 per week, and 96.60 monthly.

That is a big chunk of my monthly grocery bill. Tuna is not cheap IMO.
    the grocery stores near me have cans under a dollar. I wanna say it was 58 cents but cant remember. I dont even think the nasty spongy bagged precooked chicken is cheaper price to protein

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    the grocery stores near me have cans under a dollar. I wanna say it was 58 cents but cant remember. I dont even think the nasty spongy bagged precooked chicken is cheaper price to protein
    Yeah I eat the albacore. Some of the stuff is a little under a dollar, but the meat isn't as good.
    •   

6. When I'm cutting, I eat it religiously.

7. Albacore has more mercury than Chunk Light. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

0.353 vs. 0.118 , talking triple the Mercury levels.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Albacore has more mercury than Chunk Light. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

I had heard that also. That is unfortunate. Albacore tastes so much better.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Albacore has more mercury than Chunk Light. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

Yeah I found that out also It does taste a bit better, but it's a good thing I don't eat tuna, but once, maybe twice a week.

10. hmmm why would canned salmon mercury levels be so low compared to fresh salmon. If those stats are right canned salmon is the way to go if you can find it cheap enough. im going to price my local costco and see what it would run me
  11. “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”

12. Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Yeah I eat the albacore. Some of the stuff is a little under a dollar, but the meat isn't as good.
    Oddly enough it is the more expensive albacore that has a higher mercury content! ha I have read a lot and most top nutritionists and chemists say that its nothin to worry about. You could alwasy look into chelation therapy to reduce levels of toxic metals after every bulk
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net

13. you pay extra for the mercury you guys

14. found some quality canned salmon at costco for 1.60 a can. i can handle that. With whole wheat pasta totaling at under 3 dollars a meal is not bad

15. Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    you pay extra for the mercury you guys
    Mercury does a body good!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
  2. Tuna and Rice Casserole (bulk)
    By joeflex73 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:49 AM
  3. Can Pregnenolene and DHEA increase T?
    By seth64 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 12:12 AM
  5. Tuna and Mercury
    By Manwhore in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:30 PM