No energy, desire, and just feel blah.. Help

Novi

Awards
I use to be in tremendous condition about 2 years ago. Worked out all the time and felt great. I am now 32, I've since gotten a demanding job and I virtually never workout now. My eating habbits are horrible. I have no energy and desire. I am just sick of feeling like $h!t if anyone can relate.

I joined a new gym and am trying to go but I feel like I have no energy or desire after work to even go. I work from 7am to 5 pm M-F (Design Engineer).

I guess what I am looking for are some energy packed foods, supplements, exercises, or diets anyone can recommend to me to help me get back.
It feels like being at a plateu every minute of every day.

I use to be at 190, now am at 255.

I did some searching but I'm posting this so I can find something more tailored to me if anyone can understand that....

Any advice, tips, recomendations are greaty appreciated!!

cleanEG

cleanEG

Awards
Bro, I understand completely how you feel and where you're at right now. I'm in the same boat, and can empathise....

1. To increase energy levels I started monitoring my diet -- eliminating all junk food.
2. Secondly, I started going to they gym on Saturdays mornings only (less crowded) and mentally it gets my foot in the door. Saturdays are also the days I'm least likely to be called at home for work (I'm 24x7 on call sys admin)
3. Check out the before and afters on this site -- very motivating!
4. Supplements - vitamins, etc

These are a few factors that motivate me...and after going to the gym a few times, I started getting back into it again. Hope this helps and you can do it!

cessna

cessna

Awards
i feel the same way, the last 2 years i was in the U.S to became a pilot, now i came back to my country 2 months ago and my energy levels went down my weight went down too and the desire to workout... it is posible that the food in my country dosent have the same nutricious value than the U.S food does? i believe a good diet makes 85% to have a good body and the rest its divided on training and rest...but i dont know why this is happening i doing the same diet and eating the same except cottage cheese here its really nasty....but if anyone can give an advice ill appreciate it thanks

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I use to be in tremendous condition about 2 years ago. Worked out all the time and felt great. I am now 32, I've since gotten a demanding job and I virtually never workout now. My eating habbits are horrible. I have no energy and desire. I am just sick of feeling like $h!t if anyone can relate.
too much sodium in your diet = lethargy, bloating, lack of drive.

easy fix, don't need supplements - just add a few bananas to your diet and cut back on the salt.

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
I totally understand what you are going through, as I am a sales rep. I'm constantly traveling, running on little sleep, and just feel like crap from just being drained mentally and physically during the day. I know it seems very corny, but being on this forum and checking out peoples logs, advice, and experiences make me want to go and lift. It also gives you a good knowledge base on things to do (diet, exercise, supplements) that you could utilize and change your situation. If that doesn't work I pop 4 caps of Applied Nutriceuticals RPM and off I go! Good Luck.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
My energy level has gone up, since I've started taking a magnesium, zinc and calcium supplement. I read zinc and magnesium deficiency is very common and can cause fatique, depression, ect.

BigFish80

BigFish80

Awards
  • Established
My energy level has gone up, since I've started taking a magnesium, zinc and calcium supplement. I read zinc and magnesium deficiency is very common and can cause fatique, depression, ect.
Thats great. Glad your up and moving again. Your right Zn, Ca, and Mg all play very big roles in recovery from stress and giving the immune system a nice, healthy bump. The Zinc and Magnesium will also help keep your testosterone at a health level and aid in a restfull sleep at nite when taken before bed. Good luck and keep chugging along.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Thats great. Glad your up and moving again. Your right Zn, Ca, and Mg all play very big roles in recovery from stress and giving the immune system a nice, healthy bump. The Zinc and Magnesium will also help keep your testosterone at a health level and aid in a restfull sleep at nite when taken before bed. Good luck and keep chugging along.
Thanks bro. Yeah when I take the pills before bed it really helps with sleep. It makes me feel very relaxed.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks bro. Yeah when I take the pills before bed it really helps with sleep. It makes me feel very relaxed.
I think the effects of taking minerals supplements pre-bed on an empty stomach are most pronounced when you're low/depleted. This is why I usually get some vivid dreams when I start taking ZMA after taking a break from it, then its back to my usual dreamless sleeps.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think the effects of taking minerals supplements pre-bed on an empty stomach are most pronounced when you're low/depleted. This is why I usually get some vivid dreams when I start taking ZMA after taking a break from it, then its back to my usual dreamless sleeps.
Speaking about vivid dreams. I took a magnesium pill before I took a nap (didn't get alot of sleep today) and I dreamt I was in college in some kind of program about anger management, but whats weird is everyone there was built like a house and everyone looked like they were going to beat the **** out of me haha.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
If you DO want to go the supplement route, USPlabs Jacked is probably the best pre-workout drink on the market. You could go from 2 hours of sleep to wanting to tear apart the gym with 3 scoops of it. I haven't had a lethargic workout since starting it.

natiels

natiels

Board Supporter
Awards
too much sodium in your diet = lethargy, bloating, lack of drive.

easy fix, don't need supplements - just add a few bananas to your diet and cut back on the salt.
lol, might need just a little more then that, he gained 65lbs in two years. There's prolly more to this then some extra salt in his diet.

In all seriousness tho, cutting sodium is a good idea, but you need to change your lifestyle.

Here are a few things I have found to help me get back into the swing of things.

Make a plan, make a plan, make a plan. Plan out a workout schedule, plan out meals. This really helps me to motivate myself because I have a plan of action. Motivation is often killed by getting stuck in limbo with no real idea of where you want to be or where you want to go. You don't need an amazing plan put together by some guru, you just need something that you have written down and have solidified in your mind that you can follow on a daily basis.

Start out small, any effort is better then no effort. Don't go to the gym thinking you are gonna work out like you used to. Start off light.

Make it convenient. Look at your local classified ads and get a stationary bike. It'll be cheap and it gives you instant access to exercise. No traffic, no gym. You can get up 25 mins early and do 20 mins of cardio in the morning while watching the news.

Remember you have an advantage. You mentioned you were in great shape only 2 years ago. This is good news. You have an advantage that most people in your situation do not have. Your body will bounce back quickly, you'll gain muscle fast, your metabolism will start to recover much more quickly, and you will be shedding lbs a lot faster then someone who has never worked out.

Good luck man, I sincerely hope you can post in 3 months and tell us you have lost a bunch of weight and are well on your way to your goals.

Last edited: