Overheating certain foods degrades protein?

JKC12482

Awards
I was trying to figure out when i cook egg whites, or a steak or something that gets really hot, how susceptible is the protein in these foods to degrading? Anybody else have this question or am i just thinking too much?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I was trying to figure out when i cook egg whites, or a steak or something that gets really hot, how susceptible is the protein in these foods to degrading? Anybody else have this question or am i just thinking too much?
Im fairly positive that grilling steak breaks down some of the protein in it. I know heating vegetables reduces some of the vitamin content, so it would make sense that you cold cook out some of the protein.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No need to cook steaks that much, just sear it on each side for 30 seconds.

Eggs should be cooked for as little as possible to reduce any "risk" from Salmonella and avidin.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No need to cook steaks that much, just sear it on each side for 30 seconds.

Eggs should be cooked for as little as possible to reduce any "risk" from Salmonella and avidin.
No way I could eat "Rare" meat. I can do "Medium Rare", but not "Rare" lol.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No way I could eat "Rare" meat. I can do "Medium Rare", but not "Rare" lol.
I always eat my meat rare, now since I have a deep freezer, once 2 weeks pass(enough to kill any parasites in USDA inspected beef) I eat it almost raw, I do not cook the lean, only the fat.

I'll grab the steak over a hot CI skillet, brown/heat the fat and the steak to "body temp" and eat it.

Freezing only alters the taste, while heat/cooking destroys nutrients.

EDIT: Also, raw meat does not cause constipation or stomach pain, you don't get "sleepy, tired and full" you feel energized. Well done meat gives me stomach pain, constipates me and doesn't feel right.......heating/cooking should be done as little as possible.