Advice PWO - weights then cardio

skyline

Awards
I have been reading up somewhat extensively on the topic of post workout nutrition, both here and on other forums/websites. Alot of the time, options are suggested that perhaps take into account the person is on gear (carbs can be higher). Also, that the workout is just heavy weights, and as such muscle glycogen levels may not be 100% depleted (carbs not 100% necessary) etc... And of course the other aspect is the body type involved (endo, meso, ecto). Myself i am defo carb sensitive (meso/endo) and have done very well on a low carb diet for the last year, with just the last few months experimenation with carb cycling. I am pretty lean, but i want to add some lean muscle without losing the abs!!

My regime (3 of my 5 workouts per week) consists on heavy weights followed by 1-1.5 hours of cardio. I appreciate this amount of cardio is not ideal post weights, but it's my current situation! Now i have read the threads on whether carbs are necessary PWO, and whether HI-gi or low-gi should be adopted.

But in my case, do you think i should be adding PWO carbs to my whey? Being that i probably am depleting glycogen stores moreso than guys just lifting? Are there any recommendations for supplementaton for my scenario? I am a little uneasy with the 1.5hr wait for protein post weights!! I do supp with Xtend pre and peri workout.

I hope that all makes sense! TIA

lector606

lector606

Awards
I'd probably have some carbs post-weights to raise insulin levels a bit and then just whey post workout

Your insulin will probably still be elevated by the end of the cardio... what do you think?

skyline

Awards
mmm...thing is won't any carbs before my cardio just be used for that following cardio? And also prevent some fat loss? I want to maximise the fat loss from the cardio.
Incidently, I do have some waxy maize starch in, which could be used as an immediate carb source (altho it is hi gi and i dont like the idea of insulin spikes really).

I dont think the bcaas will be sufficient as a protein source post weights, peri cardio as it's only like 3.5g leucine or thereabouts.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
mmm...thing is won't any carbs before my cardio just be used for that following cardio? And also prevent some fat loss? I want to maximise the fat loss from the cardio.
Incidently, I do have some waxy maize starch in, which could be used as an immediate carb source (altho it is hi gi and i dont like the idea of insulin spikes really).

I dont think the bcaas will be sufficient as a protein source post weights, peri cardio as it's only like 3.5g leucine or thereabouts.
Leucine in itself will cause an insulin spike. Depending on what you ate for your pre WO meal, your insulin levels may still be raised significantly after your workout. If you are trying to maximize the weight loss factor, I would only go with 25g of carbs or so post WO. Be it high GI, or low GI.