my current diet

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
Hello,

I'm trying to gain some weight to build muscle. I found that quinoa is a good source of protein; it's a "pseudograin" that's supposedly a complete protein.

My current diet is as follows:

For breakfast, I try to have an egg everyday, along with a bowl of oatmeal (or cream of wheat) and perhaps a whole grain english muffin with cottage cheese. I also take my GNC MegaMen vitamins at this time.

Then at work I might have a banana as a snack. Then for lunch have a sandwich (tuna or peanut butter/jelly) in whole grain bread plus a diced fruit cup. As a later snack, I might have a kashi cereal bar or trail mix bar. After work, have a piece of fruit as a snack along with some nuts (love 'em).

Then work out, have a protein shake, and finally have dinner (I know, kind of late). Dinner would include some type of meat, hopefully some sauteed veggies, and either rice, quinoa, or whole grain tortilla bread. Occasionally I'll have pasta for dinner or fish.

During recent workout days, however, I've been eating dinner first, having 1 scoop creatine, work out, have another scoop creatine, and then a protein shake.

Since I began working out, the only regular supplement I've taken is protein powder (right after working out). I've tried 4ever Fit whey, Nitrotech Hardcore, Pro-NOS, GNC basic whey, and currently Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey. Last time I went to GNC, the salesman was adamant about Wheybolic Extreme and convinced me to buy it. Additionally, I just started taking creatine. I began with Creadrive and finished that within a week due to loading, and I just picked up Cell-Tech Hardcore.

Gordothespace

Gordothespace

Awards
Add two or three more eggs to breakfast. When you eat your PBJ add a protein shake with it. If you are not worried about putting on to much fat you can use whole milk other wise wtick to 2%.
If you are needign to get more calories either get larger portions, hence the two to three more eggs, or try a weight gainer.

Also, use the diet tracker here at AM. It really helped me to fidn where I was deficient in my diet.
Instead of gong to GNC to get your supps., go to nutraplanet of TFsupplements. They have the same stuff and it is less expensive. In fact if you are going to get creatine you can get it in bulk from NP. They practically give the stuff away. Do not worry about the "loading phase". That is just a gimic to get you to buy more sooner. Sounds like it worked to. You may not see the effects of the creatine as soon as it may take a week or two but the money you save will more than pay for the patience it took.

Other tahtn that lift safe, lift heavy and get plenty of rest.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try this...

4 whole eggs + 4 whites 2 slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananna

Whey protein shake (40g pro) 2 tablespoons peanutbutter and ground oats

Steak/chicken/fish with whole wheat pasta table spoon of cheese and EVOO

Same as meal 2

Fish/Steak 2 cups green veggies Brown rice and 1 avacado

Whey and peanut butter or almonds or EVOO

something along those lines can be a good place to start to gain weight.

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
def not enough eggs... do 4 and 4 as stated above....if you cant handle eating that many eggs, do 2 whole eggs and grab some liquid egg whites and throw a cup in a shake

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
Hey guys,

Thanks for the Nutraplanet reference. Saved it to my Favorites.

Also, regarding the eggs, I just had this impression that eating too many was basically unhealthy (cholesterol?). I eat fried eggs, but we try to use olive oil. I also like the yolk, so I don't avoid it. So anyway, because of the health concern, I've limited myself to one a day. Well, I guess I can try two a day for a while and see how it goes.

Thx.:slomo:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Also, regarding the eggs, I just had this impression that eating too many was basically unhealthy (cholesterol?). I eat fried eggs, but we try to use olive oil. I also like the yolk, so I don't avoid it. So anyway, because of the health concern, I've limited myself to one a day. Well, I guess I can try two a day for a while and see how it goes.

its the saturated fat the causes the cholesterol problem and high sugars that cause high triglycerides and diabetes.

if you cook with olive oil use a lil water in the pan it will increase the smoke point (the temp at which it saturates the fat)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

eggs are only unhealthy if your family has cholesterol issues. remember that cholesterol plays an important role in the body (HDL). also, testosterone was first synthesized from a cholesterol molecule, so limiting it may be detrimental to putting on muscle.