Exception to the rule?

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.03%

Exception to the rule?

My friend is overweight... ok he's obese, so I would classify him as an endomorph. An endomporph is one who gains weight easily and supposedly gains muscle fairly quick as well. This is where the whole division of body types gets a little fuzzy for me. This friend and I had a good 4 month period of lifting together, so I got a first hand view of his strength gains during this time period. He started at the same weight I did for exercises and after 4 months we we're still even as far as strength is concerned. So after this long post I ask if there are endomorphs who gain weight quickly, but muscle slowly? Are there ectomorphs who gain weight slowly, but strength quickly? I have heard of body types blending, but not too knowledgable on this subject. Is my friend a blender? or is there another good explanation for this? Thanks for your patience and any info you may provide!

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Maybe he has underlying hormonal issues as well..Being severely overweight does promote those.

What was his diet like vs yours? maybe he was eating under maintenance, while you over..

Lots of variables here.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.03%

We were both eating horribly izza::hot:. I can get away with it more easily because I'm a true ectomorph, but him I'm not so sure. Looked as though he was eating above maintenance, but his weight remained the same. Good call on the hormonal variables though. I'm trying to get him to start lifting with me again, and I'd love to help him get on the right track to losing weight. He's been wanting to lose weight, but he's very stubborn. Any suggestions are welcome. I don't think he'll change diet habits, but I do think he's willing to use elypticals...

As far as body types go, an endomorph who eats a lot but doesn't gain strength too quick might be a hormonal issue?
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.96%

Honestly.. If he is not willing to change his diet habits, then he will remain obese..
  5. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    Honestly.. If he is not willing to change his diet habits, then he will remain obese..
    True.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1%

As for as somatypes go they were originally developed to classify attitude and temperaments with body types. I like to look at them in the general because there are many variables that go into a physique that can't be contained with just three main body types.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.03%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    As for as somatypes go they were originally developed to classify attitude and temperaments with body types. I like to look at them in the general because there are many variables that go into a physique that can't be contained with just three main body types.
    Thank you for responding to the main question I had regarding body types. I agree many variables play a role, so I guess one can physiologically change their own body type through discipline and knowledge. Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate it!

Similar Forum Threads

1. New Rule....
    By Dwight Schrute in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
  2. number 1 RULE about t3 and t4
    By fellowmike in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM
  3. The Headphone Rule
    By littlejeni in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17