Pre-WO Meals...

How long before exercise do you eat your pre-workout meal?

• Total voters
Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So how long before your workout are you eating your pre-workout meal? What are your opinions on how much time before exercise is optimal?

Vote for as many as you like. If you think this is too short of a time period, note it in your post!

Discuss!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I got 60-90 minutes before hand depending on my schedule and what supplements I am dosing. I find for myself (for both digestion purposes and training purposes) that this time allows for the best combo of the two.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
60-90 mins here as well. I find I get hungry while working out, even when I eat a big meal around this time.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What does your pre workout meal typically look like?
Usually 2 cups of brown rice, mixed with corn and black beans, along with a whey protein shake.

Rounds out to about 660 calories.

On days that I feel hungry I will eat a banana with it.

On days that I need a whole food source, I will replace the can of protein shake with a can of tuna. I put the can of tuna on two pieces of veg fiber wheat bread and add in 1-2 tbsp of light mayo.

That ends up being around 740 calories.

It isn't really that I am hungry, I just get that empty stomach feeling, kind of.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually 2 cups of brown rice, mixed with corn and black beans, along with a whey protein shake.

Rounds out to about 660 calories.

On days that I feel hungry I will eat a banana with it.

On days that I need a whole food source, I will replace the can of protein shake with a can of tuna. I put the can of tuna on two pieces of veg fiber wheat bread and add in 1-2 tbsp of light mayo.

That ends up being around 740 calories.

It isn't really that I am hungry, I just get that empty stomach feeling, kind of.
Brown rice is dense; switch it up to some porridge and it should help keep you full longer. Try 2/3c. Steelcut or 1.5c Large Flake oats with some protein and berries. I've been doing it for years :)

HEARTLESS

Awards
Lately I have been doing Yogurt and a whey shake with blueberries
Round to about: 510 cals from yogurt and 460 from shake for a grand total of 970 cals, about 125 carbs, and 65g protein.. thats 60-70 mins pre/wo

My question is how far apart do you guys spread your meal from your predrink.. I tend to feel more effects from my predrink if i drink it on the more empty stomach side. and by predrink my choice has always been xtend/noxplode

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think its best to work out on an empty stomach, more blood and hormones are available to the brain and muscles. A creatine drink 20 mins. prior to WO seems to work well.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I work out first thing in the am so my Pre-wo meal is between 45-1hr previous to lifting.. It is usually teamskip protein/evoo or teamskip protein/coconut oil, just a pro/fat meal.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Went with a semi-fasted state for some time, and noticed a signifigant increase in performance once I brought in a smaller meal 60 minutes prior. Just having that feeling of something in the belly gives me a psychological edge, as if I have fuel to burn.

Very small meal though, ~14g protein/20g CHO/16g fat

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Steak and eggs 60 min pre wo, and prewo drink 30 min prior to lifting. Well thats what im doing right now the meal depends on what my goals are at the time or what I feel like tryin out.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
A little over 2 hours unfortunetly because of school.
During breaks, summer, weekends etc. I do 1 hour before.
And its 3 tuna/turkey/or roast sandwiches on 12 grain bread.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My workouts last about 1hr and 15min or so. I figured the brown rice would give me a slow feed of carbs vs fast absorbing. Hence giving me steady energy through the WO. Am I wrong here, or does it just take longer than that for your body to digest them?

I was worried that ingesting fast absorbing carbs would pull to many nutrients with it too fast and leave me empty. Shed some light on this Steve!

HEARTLESS

Awards
My workouts last about 1hr and 15min or so. I figured the brown rice would give me a slow feed of carbs vs fast absorbing. Hence giving me steady energy through the WO. Am I wrong here, or does it just take longer than that for your body to digest them?

I was worried that ingesting fast absorbing carbs would pull to many nutrients with it too fast and leave me empty. Shed some light on this Steve!
How many cups of brown rice are you doing.. 1.5 to 2 cups brown rice 45 minutes before should do your body right.. also you might try to cut workout time to 45 mins get in get out then pump your body with 30-45g protein 15mins after and follow that with carb/protein meal within an hour of that. Hope this helps!

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
About 60-70 minutes pre-workout. I eat at 1 to 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal with 2-3 tablespoons of honey.

I mix 1 scoop of Purple Wrath with 1 scoop of Xtend. I also mix in 1-2 grams of Taurine, 1 gram of Beta Alanine, 1 Gram of ALCAR, and 1 gram of Citrulline Malate.

Right after eating my pre-work out meal, I take a dose of my capped mix (Chocamine, Green Tea, Rhodiela, Ashgawanda) by drinking half of my pre-workout drink. I drink the rest during workout.

I eat a banana on the way into the gym, by the time I get there I feel well fueled and usually have a great workout.

I can't stand feeling hungry when I am in the gym. Even with this protocol, I start to get hungry about half an hour into my workout.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I think its best to work out on an empty stomach, more blood and hormones are available to the brain and muscles. A creatine drink 20 mins. prior to WO seems to work well.
I understand your logic here, but I think at least a small amount of carbs pre-workout is great. Having food in your stomach is not going to make your creatine or anything else ineffective in its absorption or effect.

If you eat 1-2 cups of rice or oatmeal (I prefer oatmeal) 60-90 minutes pre-workout it has time to digest. You want carbs in your bloodstream to fuel your workout (unless you are cutting I guess).

Creatine, Amino's, Citrulline Malate, etc mix very well into water and are quickly absorbed into your bloodstream, even if you have some food in your stomach.

jswole

jswole

Banned
Awards
I prefer to eat my preworkout meal 45 mins b4 only because my metabolism is so high and I hate to get hungry towards the end of my workout. 45 mins should be the minimum tho because blood is used in digesting food and wont be properly circulated to your muscles in your warmup if there isnt adequate time for digestion.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How many cups of brown rice are you doing.. 1.5 to 2 cups brown rice 45 minutes before should do your body right.. also you might try to cut workout time to 45 mins get in get out then pump your body with 30-45g protein 15mins after and follow that with carb/protein meal within an hour of that. Hope this helps!
Yeah, I already do all of this! Just wanted to see what everyone else was doing for Pre WO meals etc... There is no way I could finish my WO in 45 mins! They tend to last an hour or so. I like to take 1.5 min rest periods and I typically do 20 sets per muscle group.

lector606

lector606

Awards
small meal 20-30 mins prior for me, depending on how many hours have passed since the last training session. i don't like too much protein pre workout, maybe 20 grams, and a mix of fast/slow digesting carbs (oatmeal with fruit say)

JKC12482

Awards
2 hrs, then i take a preworkout energy NO drink, and if i get a long workout i drink a shake at the latter part of my workout, if you're not taking an energy drink or something that kills hunger, then an hour before something rather small would be perfect