No carbs at night?

  1. No carbs at night?


    For those of us following a diet with moderate carb consumption during the day, why and how would it be beneficial to cut down on them during the later hours of the day? Do the carbs that are eaten right before bedtime simply convert to fat?


  2. I am an ecto and I could probably get away with eating sugar cubes before bed and I'd be ok but I avoid carbs before bed for several reasons.

    -It's easier to sleep.
    -Insulin blunts GH response.
    -I find it a lot easier to eat a high carb breakfast when I need the carbs.

    The best rule I ever read was this: Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning on non training days and post workout and training days. Focus on fat and protein before bed.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I am an ecto and I could probably get away with eating sugar cubes before bed and I'd be ok but I avoid carbs before bed for several reasons.

    -It's easier to sleep.
    -Insulin blunts GH response.
    -I find it a lot easier to eat a high carb breakfast when I need the carbs.

    The best rule I ever read was this: Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning on non training days and post workout and training days. Focus on fat and protein before bed.
    I read somewhere that it takes roughly 30-40g of carbs to power your body while you sleep, and it is better for your body (as far as muscle building goes) to let it feed off of your stores, rather than your digestion. The only time I eat carbs before bed is if I am eating peanut butter really.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I am an ecto and I could probably get away with eating sugar cubes before bed and I'd be ok but I avoid carbs before bed for several reasons.

    -It's easier to sleep.
    -Insulin blunts GH response.
    -I find it a lot easier to eat a high carb breakfast when I need the carbs.

    The best rule I ever read was this: Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning on non training days and post workout and training days. Focus on fat and protein before bed.
    I agree with this

  5. Thanks for the info guys, well i'll base my judgements off that article and cut out pasta/bread/cereal at night, and instead eat only fruits and veggies. Good call!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    I read somewhere that it takes roughly 30-40g of carbs to power your body while you sleep
    Hmm...that explains why I am so effing hungry in the morning!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Hmm...that explains why I am so effing hungry in the morning!
    Could be! Your body burns quite a bit of calories as well.
  8. Agree


    What works for me Meal 1-2 60g carbs, Meal 3-6 40g carbs.
    This allows for great workout with plenty of energy. I use this more for adding strength and mass.
  9. I like


    [QUOTE=Aggravated;1739696]Here's a good read.

    naturalphysiques.com?

    Great article

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Fear View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, well i'll base my judgements off that article and cut out pasta/bread/cereal at night, and instead eat only fruits and veggies. Good call!

    watch out when eating fruit before bed.

    I starve off the carbs and sugar before bedtime because of their effects on insulin and growth hormone, not because im trying to create some calorie defecit and lose fat. my focus is adding lean mass. I still eat some low gi carbs pretty late, just not immediatly before bed and refuse to eat sugar within these last few hours.

    Fruits are great, just not the fact that they are generally loaded with natural sugars when we are considering eating these things before bed, because they can cause an insulin spike and reduce GH output.

    at night right before sleep i will usually eat a mass of egg whites along with a mound of cottage cheese, followed by a big helping of spinach, avacados, celery, peas, or whatever.

    but that's just me.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by EatMeat View Post

    at night right before sleep i will usually eat a mass of egg whites along with a mound of cottage cheese, followed by a big helping of spinach, avacados, celery, peas, or whatever.

    but that's just me.
    It doesn't get much better than celery and peanutbutter with a protein shake before bed...
  12. Future
    Future's Avatar

    It all depends on the person. Some people are fine. Some will get fat. A nice protein drink with some flax is what I use before bed. No carbs. But I don't need them at that point.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. When to actually STOP eating carbs at night?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 02:25 PM
  2. AP with late night carbs...?
    By sundevil04 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
  3. postworkout carbs at night
    By jon1026 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Log in
Log in