Just got cholesterol results...have a question

AaronFL

AaronFL

Awards
Hi,

I just received my blood cholesterol profile in the mail. My HDL is very high and throws my total cholesterol above the optimal range. Is this a problem, since HDL is considered "good" cholesterol?

Total Cholesterol: 244 :think:
HDL: 112
LDL: 117
Triglyc: 73

P.S. I LOVE my egg yolks, haha.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
AaronFL

AaronFL

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I was a little worried about the total cholesterol level...but it looks like it's okay. Thanks for the link!

gekkoboy14

Awards
Thanks for the reply. I was a little worried about the total cholesterol level...but it looks like it's okay. Thanks for the link!
total cholesterol is irrelevant, it is the ratio of HDL to LDL which is important

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad I saw this thread from a while ago. I'm about to change my doctor now. He said I have too high cholesterol. Mine was

Total Cholesterol: 262
HDL: 78
LDL: 176
Triglyc: don't remember, but said they were normal

Without even asking me about my diet and exercise, he says he puts anyone over 260 on medicine. He said he'd give me three months to bring it down. This is the same doctor that didn't want me taking creatine because my creatitine levels were too high but all other kidney markers were fine. This dude is gone. By the way my diet and exercise has to be in the top 1%. I have read in multiple places that it's your LDL:HDL ratio that matters and mine is below 2.5. And now my wife is all like, "you better not eat those 3-4 eggs everyday". Fck me.

Any comments?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glad I saw this thread from a while ago. I'm about to change my doctor now. He said I have too high cholesterol. Mine was

Total Cholesterol: 262
HDL: 78
LDL: 176
Triglyc: don't remember, but said they were normal

Without even asking me about my diet and exercise, he says he puts anyone over 260 on medicine. He said he'd give me three months to bring it down. This is the same doctor that didn't want me taking creatine because my creatitine levels were too high but all other kidney markers were fine. This dude is gone. By the way my diet and exercise has to be in the top 1%. I have read in multiple places that it's your LDL:HDL ratio that matters and mine is below 2.5. And now my wife is all like, "you better not eat those 3-4 eggs everyday". Fck me.

Any comments?
It’s probably not the eggs.

Get your Tri numbers. “Normal” is quite a range. That’s the most important number.

How is the rest of your diet? Alcohol, sweets, etc?
Try some niacin flushes.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll get my tri numbers. I seldomly drink. I get drunk 4-5x a year, socially drink another few times a year. Only time I eat sweets is post workout and that's not that often.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Those numbers are insanely good! I have never seen an HDL count in triple digits.

I recall coming across a study at one time, high HDL (I believe over 60 mg/dl) was associated with a longer lifespan regardless of total cholesterol, LDL, or triglycerides. Unfortunately I can't locate it, but I did find this study that shows a similar relation to higher levels of HDL:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=19038839&log$=activity
I believe this is what you're looking for:
https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401

Lack of an association or an inverse association between low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality in the elderly: a systematic review

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s probably not the eggs.

Get your Tri numbers. “Normal” is quite a range. That’s the most important number.

How is the rest of your diet? Alcohol, sweets, etc?
Try some niacin flushes.
Dr finally released my results

Triglycerides - 58 mg/dl