Why you shouldn't eat breakfast - AnabolicMinds.com

Why you shouldn't eat breakfast

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    719846

    Why you shouldn't eat breakfast


    Why You Shouldn’t Eat Breakfast…Again | TheIFLife - Simple Fat Loss, Muscle, Health and Longevity


    Why You Shouldn’t Eat Breakfast…Again
    May 21, 2008

    Photo by hoveringdog
    So when you see that stack above….what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Well they are “whole wheat” so it must be healthy. Ha! You know what I think of? Going into a coma and sleeping for hours after I eat it. I imagine huge brain fog and needing a pot of coffee to stay awake for the day. I picture getting nothing really done but taking all day to do it. Breakfast….the illusion for health and weight loss as sold by the general public. Think of the name….”Break” Fast…..you break the fast…..well if I am doing IF…I don’t want to break the fast just now. But how will I survive? Will I lose all my muscle by skipping one meal? Will my metabolism pack up it’s bags and leave? I mean….without breakfast how will I ever get anything done all day…I need energy right? Sound familiar?
    While we are talking about it, I came across this great read from Ori Hofmekler (author of the warrior diet). It actually goes very nicely with the Why Workout Fasted post and the Why Stress is Making You Sick and Fat post. Here’s the article (seen here):
    When you wake-up, your body is already in an intense detox mode, clearing itself of endotoxins and digestive waste from the past evening meal.

    During the morning hours, when digestion is fully completed (while you are on an empty stomach), a primal survival mechanism, known as fight or flight reaction to stress, is triggered, maximizing your body’s capacity to generate energy, be alert, resist fatigue and resist stress.

    This highly geared survival mode is primarily dominated by part of the autonomic nervous system known as the SNS (sympathetic nervous system). At that state, the body is in its most energy-producing phase and that’s when most energy comes from fat burning. All that happens when you do not eat the typical morning meal.

    If however you follow what “normal guys” do and eat your morning bagel and cereal and egg & bacon, you’ll most likely shut down the above energy producing system.

    The SNS and its fight or flight mechanism will be substantially suppressed. Instead, your morning meal will trigger an antagonistic part of the automatic nervous system known as the PSNS (Para sympathetic nervous system), which makes you sleepy, slow and less resilient to fatigue and stress.

    Instead of spending energy and burning fat, your body will be more geared towards storing energy and gaining fat. Under this state, detox would be inhibited. The overall metabolic stress would increase with toxins accumulating in the liver, giving the body another substantial reason to gain fat. (Fat tissues serve as a biological storage for toxins)

    The overall suppressing effects of morning meals, can lead to energy crashes during the daily (working) hours, often with chronic cravings for pick-up foods, sweets, coffee and tobacco. Eating at the wrong time, would severely interrupt the body’s ability to be in tune with the circadian clock. The human body has never adapted to such interruptions. We are primarily pre-programmed to rotate between the two autonomic nervous system parts: the daily SNS and the nightly PSNS.

    The SNS regulates alertness and action during the day, while PSNS regulates relaxation, digestion and sleep during the nightly hours. Any interruption in this primal daily cycle, may lead into sleepiness during the day followed by sleeping disorders at night.

    Morning meals must be carefully designed not to suppress the SNS and its highly energetic state. Minimizing morning food intake to fruits, veggie soup or small amounts of fresh light protein foods, such as poached or boiled eggs, plain yogurt, or white cheese, will maintain the body in an undereating phase, while promoting the SNS with its energy producing properties.

    *Note: Athletes who exercise in the morning should turn breakfast into a post-exercise recovery meal. Such meals should consist of small amounts of fresh protein plus carbs such as yogurt and banana, eggs plus a bowl of oatmeal, or cottage cheese with berries.

    An insulin spike is necessary for effectively finalizing the anabolic actions of GH and IGF1 after exercise. Nonetheless, after the initial recovery meal, it’s highly recommended to maintain the body in an undereating phase by minimizing daily carb intake in the following meals. Applying small protein meals (minimum carbs) every couple of hours will keep sustaining the SNS during the daily hours while providing amino acids for protein synthesis in the muscle tissues, promoting a long lasting anabolic effect after exercise.

    In conclusion, breakfast isn’t the most important meal of the day. The most important meals are post-exercise recovery meals. Saying that, for a WARRIOR every meal is a recovery meal helping to recuperate from either nutritional stress (undereating) or physical stress (exercise). It’s when you eat that makes what you eat matter.

    Interesting stuff. One type of IF I do not recommend is what is known as Ramadan fasting, in which you eat when you wake, fast during light hours and then eat at night. (this is a Muslim practice done for a month) But during that month of Ramadan, there are also many reports of increased daytime sleepiness, children falling asleep at school, more mental “fogginess” and increased amount of motor vehicle accidents during this observance. Could it be in part to a large meal in the AM and it’s response on our system? I personally have never had so much mental clarity and consistent energy as when I decided to do IF daily and skip morning meals….and have never looked back. People are so paranoid nowadays that they will starve themselves if they skip breakfast or it will crush their metabolism….that is so untrue…as your metabolism requires many many days of low intake to even start to slow down. To think one meal can cause your metabolism to come to a screeching hault or all your muscle will be destroyed, is science based on comic book research (or just reading too many bodybuilding and fitness magazines…which are owned by supplement companies who want you to eat 6x a day and buy all their shakes and bars). Having breakfast is only hailed as the weight loss king because some people may just end up over eating later on from not being able to handle a little hunger and think they are wasting away…..in the end it’s still total calories in a day…whether 3 meals or 6.
    izza:
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  2. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Actually, your metabolism is raised for 2 days if you fast, then and only then will it start, going to normal, then slow down.

    That is assuming you eat NO FOOD whatsoever, I posted the study 2 times here, not doing it again

    I usually wake up at noon, first meal at 5, second meal at 10-11 and usually a 50g ATW WPI in water with 5g of fish oil at 12:30-1am, unless I have a workout, which is at 1am and finishes at 2.

    A little words of wisdom:

    If the official opinion is that option A is good and option B is bad, then stick to the bad option and follow that. High protein diets, creatine, most supplements, CKD, low carb, heavy weights, vitamins, etc.... are all bad and unnecessary according to the "officials", need I say more?

    CopyCat, How many people are actually going to look into this and consider it and how many are going to just dismiss it as being detrimental to "anabolism"

    Is it too early to start recommending empty stomach workouts?

  3. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post

    Is it too early to start recommending empty stomach workouts?
    haven't been reading the entire thread - but I can vouch for fasted early am workouts for recomping.

    You don't have the same strength, but you can anilliate fat without any loss of lean mass as long as your workouts are within a certain timeframe.

    During this phase I would do weights for 30-40 minutes (intense, compound, superset-based) then light cardio for 20-30min.

    Just sip on some BCAAs or Leucine during

    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    531

    Skip breakfast? I would never consider that. Not because I'd be afraid my muscle will fall off but I when I wake up...I AM HUNGRY.

  5. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    2367

    Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Skip breakfast? I would never consider that. Not because I'd be afraid my muscle will fall off but I when I wake up...I AM HUNGRY.
    exactly. when i wake i am hungry as well, normally due to the fact that me dinner is my smallest meal of the day, and the cottage cheese i eat before bed is digested by morning. over the years i have learned a bit about training and diet, probably the most important thing i now know is, listen to your body. and as far as ANY "study" goes, there is ALWAYS a portion of people who do not fall into a percentile, e.g. 70% of people responded when...blah,blah,blah, well what if i'm in the other 30%? spend time listening to your own body and trying to figure out what works for you and what does not and you will never have the need for yet another "study".

  6. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    This is interesting but somewhat absurd at the same time.

    This right here makes me rethink the credability of the article.: "Such meals should consist of small amounts of fresh protein plus carbs such as yogurt and banana, eggs plus a bowl of oatmeal, or cottage cheese with berries."

    That's not a post workout meal, cottage cheese? Are you serious? Yeah casein PWO great idea, and let's create an insulin spike with berries wooo.... No, insulin spikes are caused by fast digesting carbs and the best form is glucose because it's such a simple form of carbohydrate that digetion can actually begin in the mouth! And I hope I don't have to explain why cottage cheese is stupid PWO. Slowest digesting form of protein...

    Interesting article and I think a balance is in order. I eat a protein shake and creatine mono either in juice or water, creating an insulin response, not spike, but response, in the morning is benecially as well.

  7. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    719846

    I will admit that I eat breakfast, but not usually a big one and 4 days a week my breakfast is my post workout meal anyways. Just came across this article and found it interesting.

    However, I don't believe it's saying NOT to eat breakfast, just that breakfast shouldn't be the way people are used too and time it differently.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post

    Is it too early to start recommending empty stomach workouts?
    Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

    IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].

  9. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

    IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].
    Well?

    How about some more info??? I'm changing up some things in my workout/ pre-WO supps this week, so hook it up

  10. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

    IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].

    what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.

  11. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    Yeah I agree with what you're saying Copycat. That's rough not being able to eat before a workout. I don't think I'd have the energy.

  12. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    531

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    exactly. when i wake i am hungry as well, normally due to the fact that me dinner is my smallest meal of the day, and the cottage cheese i eat before bed is digested by morning. over the years i have learned a bit about training and diet, probably the most important thing i now know is, listen to your body. and as far as ANY "study" goes, there is ALWAYS a portion of people who do not fall into a percentile, e.g. 70% of people responded when...blah,blah,blah, well what if i'm in the other 30%? spend time listening to your own body and trying to figure out what works for you and what does not and you will never have the need for yet another "study".
    Agreed! I listen to my body. I think the idea of a fasted workout is a novel one but not for somebody like me. I need all the calories I can get and working out on an empty stomach would be bad. I've tried it before and it wasn't good. When I wake up...my body is telling me to eat. My evening meals and usually small also.

  13. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

    IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].
    Cosign Crazyfool.

    Also by not eating before a workout you're still in catabolism from last night. Then you go and burn more glucose calories and glycogen!? You'll just be inducing more catabolism, that's the reason that ketogenic diets are the most efficient for cutting. On a cut I'd rather maintain muscle and burn fat slower than lose muscle and burn fat faster.

  14. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.
    It's all in this log:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/worko...ser-turns.html

  15. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.


    You guys are taking this whole hypoglycemia/catabolism thing too goddamn seriously......

    F**K me.

  16. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,377
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    956427

    personally I only truly like fasted cardio bright and early. I find it burns the excess right off of you
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

  17. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    Thanks for the link.

    Too many supplements, too many USP supplements to make it even worse. :P

  18. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    719846

    In fairness I do 4 workouts a week in the morning on an empty stomach and have done serious workouts, runs, hikes etc on empty stomachs and been fine. No hypo nothin, but I usually manage to consume more than a 1000cals. I get cranky just thinking about it..hahaha
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    Cosign Crazyfool.

    Also by not eating before a workout you're still in catabolism from last night. Then you go and burn more glucose calories and glycogen!?
    This displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the body's energy metabolism in regards to meeting the demands of contractile tissue! The body has two oxidative substrates: FAs [fatty acids, derived from hydrolyzing stored triglycerides to produce 1 glycerol and 2 fatty acid chains] and glucose. In fact, the body meets its demands in the opposite way you are thinking:

    The mitochondrial b-oxidation of FFAs and triglycerides, and not the phosphorylation of glucose, is usually the primary mechanism to meet intracellular demands during [especially] resistance training. In fact, the more trained an individual is, the less glycolytic mechanisms are used. Most of the long-term resistance training research displays an increased utilization of intramuscular fatty acid stores, and a decrease in glucose phosphorylation. Actually, PFK [phosphofructokinase, the first signaler of glycolysis] has even been shown to decrease after long-term training, while FA oxidative capacity has increased; suggesting that intracellular FA oxidation is the primary method to meet intracellular energy demands.

    In regards to catabolism and all that, we must remember this caveat: The glycogenic pathway is not about what you ate 4 hours ago, but what you ate 4 days ago. You seem to feel there is an immediacy to glycogen storage, when that is not the case! If you have a solid diet, you will not enter into a 'catabolic' state in fasted training.

    You'll just be inducing more catabolism, that's the reason that ketogenic diets are the most efficient for cutting. On a cut I'd rather maintain muscle and burn fat slower than lose muscle and burn fat faster.
    No, my misinformed friend, that is not why Ketogenic diets are used, nor does that display an understanding of the general process of Ketosis! Ketogenic diets are successful because of the body's [successful] adaptation to chronic glucose depravation. As a result of this depravation, intracellular FA oxidative capacity is increased, and the body habitually catalyzes the hydrolyzation of stored triglycerides [intramuscular and subcutaneous] as a means for fuel provision! I.e., the body literally burns fat as its main source for fuel, and glucose becomes secondary. In fact, after a certain amount of glucose depravation the brain can successfully curtail its glucose utilization by 60% This, of course, is via the production of ketone bodies [the byproduct fatty acid oxidation] - hence the name Ketosis: The perpetual production of Ketone bodies in a state of chronic glucose depravation.

  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.
    Do you know how the glycolytic/gluconeogenic pathway operates in reference to resistance training? That is an honest question, by the way; no disrespect intended.

    I ask because 'hypoglycaemia' is a bit of a misplaced term here. Also, the GIndex is a bit outdated, CF! I dislike using tools like that, as they are terribly inaccurate, but: The Insulin Index is a better indicator of what we really want to know from the GI. At any rate, who is prescribing utilizing High II foods after a fast?

    I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

    We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada!

  21. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

    We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada!


    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mulletsoldier again.

  22. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    This displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the body's energy metabolism in regards to meeting the demands of contractile tissue! The body has two oxidative substrates: FAs [fatty acids, derived from hydrolyzing stored triglycerides to produce 1 glycerol and 2 fatty acid chains] and glucose. In fact, the body meets its demands in the opposite way you are thinking:

    What does what I said have to do with energy metabolism and contratile tissue?

    The mitochondrial b-oxidation of FFAs and triglycerides, and not the phosphorylation of glucose, is usually the primary mechanism to meet intracellular demands during [especially] resistance training. In fact, the more trained an individual is, the less glycolytic mechanisms are used. Most of the long-term resistance training research displays an increased utilization of intramuscular fatty acid stores, and a decrease in glucose phosphorylation. Actually, PFK [phosphofructokinase, the first signaler of glycolysis] has even been shown to decrease after long-term training, while FA oxidative capacity has increased; suggesting that intracellular FA oxidation is the primary method to meet intracellular energy demands.

    I'm sorry I didn't understand much of that, couldn'at really follow what you're saying. What are you even trying to argue here I don't even know.


    In regards to catabolism and all that, we must remember this caveat: The glycogenic pathway is not about what you ate 4 hours ago, but what you ate 4 days ago. You seem to feel there is an immediacy to glycogen storage, when that is not the case! If you have a solid diet, you will not enter into a 'catabolic' state in fasted training.

    When I said that I was referring to training in the morning as well. But what you say does make sense, however it's the common thought that you're catabolic during the night, this may not be entirely true. I'd have to admit you're right here though, thanks I learned sometihng new today!

    No, my misinformed friend, that is not why Ketogenic diets are used, nor does that display an understanding of the general process of Ketosis! Ketogenic diets are successful because of the body's [successful] adaptation to chronic glucose depravation. As a result of this depravation, intracellular FA oxidative capacity is increased, and the body habitually catalyzes the hydrolyzation of stored triglycerides [intramuscular and subcutaneous] as a means for fuel provision! I.e., the body literally burns fat as its main source for fuel, and glucose becomes secondary. In fact, after a certain amount of glucose depravation the brain can successfully curtail its glucose utilization by 60% This, of course, is via the production of ketone bodies [the byproduct fatty acid oxidation] - hence the name Ketosis: The perpetual production of Ketone bodies in a state of chronic glucose depravation.
    You know a great deal on the subject, and completely earned my respect. I should have thuoght that through better and relied on my own knowledge rather than popular believe and what I hear said. I'd love to further discuss this... but you lost me lol.

  23. Senior Member
    RoidRageX10's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  164 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,692
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    4604

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    You know a great deal on the subject, and completely earned my respect. I should have thuoght that through better and relied on my own knowledge rather than popular believe and what I hear said. I'd love to further discuss this... but you lost me lol.
    I'm clueless too, but at least I know I am taking supplments from a company that has representaives that have a brain like Mullet to maximize supplementaion results.

    BTW, Mullet, Check out my Log! "RoidRageX10 is Reborn"
    Hint Hint..Prime and Anabolic Pump are being used..:bb3:

  24. New Member
    Brother's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    201
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    191

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Do you know how the glycolytic/gluconeogenic pathway operates in reference to resistance training? That is an honest question, by the way; no disrespect intended.

    I ask because 'hypoglycaemia' is a bit of a misplaced term here. Also, the GIndex is a bit outdated, CF! I dislike using tools like that, as they are terribly inaccurate, but: The Insulin Index is a better indicator of what we really want to know from the GI. At any rate, who is prescribing utilizing High II foods after a fast?

    I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

    We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada!
    Oh poppycock!! Mullet your are just jawing at the mouth again... Im just joking man. I am slightly Hypo and recently started doing fasted cardio. I love it. Makes my whole body feel young...at 38 thats a feat. However Im not trying to be a body builder Im trying to build a better body. Big difference. Alot of people on these boards are all about "filling" their bodies...obviously thats not always whats best for your body. Im sure I'll get railed for that. LONG LIVE FASTED CARDIO!!!

  25. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    You know a great deal on the subject, and completely earned my respect. I should have thuoght that through better and relied on my own knowledge rather than popular believe and what I hear said. I'd love to further discuss this... but you lost me lol.
    Well, resistance training involves contractile tissue, PL! This means we should be keenly aware of how the body synthesizes and expends compounds necessary for meeting the energy demands of contractile tissue!

  26. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Quote Originally Posted by RoidRageX10 View Post
    I'm clueless too, but at least I know I am taking supplments from a company that has representaives that have a brain like Mullet to maximize supplementaion results.

    BTW, Mullet, Check out my Log! "RoidRageX10 is Reborn"
    Hint Hint..Prime and Anabolic Pump are being used..:bb3:
    I will be sure to stop in; if not to comment, to read for sure!

  27. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post


    You guys are taking this whole hypoglycemia/catabolism thing too goddamn seriously......

    F**K me.

    not wen you get light headed when you train, thats not too serious right? specially during big lifts.

    as far as catabolism, will it happen to a crazy extent? probably not, but increasing AMPk i believe inhibits mTOR and protein synthesis. which is not something that we want to do.

    however im no expert, and mullet solders posts need to be dumbed down for me a lot of the time.

  28. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    ^Yeah they have to me dumbed down for me too, and I thought I was smart hahah.

  29. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,835
    Answers
    5
    Rep Power
    2105224

    I didnt read the whole article I skimmed though it... with that being said just want to add that a friend of mine does this "warrior diet" where you basically fast all day and just eat 1 big meal at night, personally I think he is crazy but hey to each his own
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  30. Banned
    jakellpet's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,533
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I didnt read the whole article I skimmed though it... with that being said just want to add that a friend of mine does this "warrior diet" where you basically fast all day and just eat 1 big meal at night, personally I think he is crazy but hey to each his own
    that only works if you eat the flesh of small children

  31. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Do you know how the glycolytic/gluconeogenic pathway operates in reference to resistance training? That is an honest question, by the way; no disrespect intended.

    I ask because 'hypoglycaemia' is a bit of a misplaced term here. Also, the GIndex is a bit outdated, CF! I dislike using tools like that, as they are terribly inaccurate, but: The Insulin Index is a better indicator of what we really want to know from the GI. At any rate, who is prescribing utilizing High II foods after a fast?

    I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

    We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada!
    answer to your first question is im no pro on it. (meaning please explain its been a long while)

    your right GI index is outdated but not many people go by the insulin index.

    and isnt having something like waxy maize going to cause a ridiculously high insulin response? in which case the body may over secrete insulin in response to the amount of carbs taken in (more so then if you were eating all day and then have the shake rather then having those as your carbs after you have fasted.)

    i know glucose really isnt needed i have read tons of stuff on it i actually have a really great article on it if you are interested. (posted it it in a thread about post workout carbs)

    also i know that about 80 percent of the glucose we get when we train is being made via gluconeogenisis the other 20 percent comes from what we eat (no bull radio with one of the doctors cant renember the name)

  32. Professional Member
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,278
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    5601

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

    We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada!
    Further evidence that my switch to the paleo diet was a GOOD move.

  33. Elite Member
    CopyCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,254
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    719846

    Paleo is a good way to go
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

  34. New Member
    Theipodpeople's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    224
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    that only works if you eat the flesh of small children
    I heard Chuck Norris does that, but with rocks.

  35. New Member
    smoke dog's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    90

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

    IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].

    Their are three types of muscle fibers. Type 1, Type 2A, and Type 2B. Fasted morning exercises need to be based upon the type of muscle fibers which are best suited to accomplish your goals.

    FASTED STRENGTH or POWER TRAINING IS USELESS!!!!!!!!

    Type 2B are the largest, fastest, and most powerful muscle fiber type. They are also easily fatigued and primarily use the Glycolytic and Creatine Phosphate energy channels. The oxidative capacity of this muscle is VERY VERY LOW. Lifting for strength or power is usually done in the 1-8 rep range at 85-100% or your 1RM. The type of muscle fibers being used for this type of training are Type 2B.

    Type 2A are your intermediate muscle fibers. They can utilize all three energy pathways (creatine, glycolytic, and oxidative). These fibers are mostly utilized in the 8+ rep range at <85% 1RM.

    Type 1 muscle fibers are smaller and weaker than the other types. This is your slow twitch muscle. This muscle's primary energy system is Oxidative, and has a low glycolytic capacity. These muscle fibers are usually distributed most densely in the muscles of the legs (especially lower legs), and postural/core areas. They are utilized during longer duration aerobic exercise (cardio), and approximately 20+ rep range at <40-50% 1RM .


    If anyone has read actually read this, i hope you learn a couple things.

    #1 FASTED STRENGTH AND POWER TRAINING IS NOT AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BUILD STRENGTH, POWER, OR BURN FAT!!!!!!

    #2 FASTED CARDIO IS AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BURN BODY FAT. BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO BE 8+ HOURS FASTED TO BURN FAT WITH AEROBICS!!!!!!!

    #3 CERTAIN SUPPLEMENTS MAY ASSIST IN RAISING METABOLISM, AND MAY EVEN HELP TO PREVENT MUSCLE WASTING DURING FASTED EXERCISE. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN EXPECT YOUR SLOW TWITCH MUSCLES TO INCREASE YOUR MAX BENCH PRESS, OR YOUR FAST TWITCH Type 2B MUSCLE TO GET YOUR THROUGH A MARATHON RUN. (EPO and AAS dont count as supplements)

    :bb3:

  36. Advanced Member
    planetfuzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    888
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    531

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother View Post
    However Im not trying to be a body builder Im trying to build a better body. Big difference. Alot of people on these boards are all about "filling" their bodies...obviously thats not always whats best for your body.
    I have actually considered taking this approach. I figure I will add some pounds to my frame then maybe go that route. I am not even going to try to get involved in this debate and it is way over my head.

  37. New Member
    PowerlifterMB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    118

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    also i know that about 80 percent of the glucose we get when we train is being made via gluconeogenisis the other 20 percent comes from what we eat (no bull radio with one of the doctors cant renember the name)
    It really depends on your diet. IF all you eat's carb glucose will all be from glucose, but if all you eat's protein all the glucose you have will be through gluconeogenesis.

  38. Senior Member
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    737

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Further evidence that my switch to the paleo diet was a GOOD move.
    Huzzah! Another Paleo eater here. Changed over completely just a few weeks ago (morning oats were a weak spot for me). Definitely a enormous difference in performance and well-being. Give it a shot fellaz.

  39. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerlifterMB View Post
    It really depends on your diet. IF all you eat's carb glucose will all be from glucose, but if all you eat's protein all the glucose you have will be through gluconeogenesis.

    that wasnt what was said in the interview.

    doesnt matter the diet, 80% will come from gluconeogenisis or the amino acid pool, and the other 20 will come from ingested carbs.

  40. New Member
    Theipodpeople's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    224
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke dog View Post
    Their are three types of muscle fibers. Type 1, Type 2A, and Type 2B. Fasted morning exercises need to be based upon the type of muscle fibers which are best suited to accomplish your goals.

    FASTED STRENGTH or POWER TRAINING IS USELESS!!!!!!!!

    Type 2B are the largest, fastest, and most powerful muscle fiber type. They are also easily fatigued and primarily use the Glycolytic and Creatine Phosphate energy channels. The oxidative capacity of this muscle is VERY VERY LOW. Lifting for strength or power is usually done in the 1-8 rep range at 85-100% or your 1RM. The type of muscle fibers being used for this type of training are Type 2B.

    Type 2A are your intermediate muscle fibers. They can utilize all three energy pathways (creatine, glycolytic, and oxidative). These fibers are mostly utilized in the 8+ rep range at <85% 1RM.

    Type 1 muscle fibers are smaller and weaker than the other types. This is your slow twitch muscle. This muscle's primary energy system is Oxidative, and has a low glycolytic capacity. These muscle fibers are usually distributed most densely in the muscles of the legs (especially lower legs), and postural/core areas. They are utilized during longer duration aerobic exercise (cardio), and approximately 20+ rep range at <40-50% 1RM .


    If anyone has read actually read this, i hope you learn a couple things.

    #1 FASTED STRENGTH AND POWER TRAINING IS NOT AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BUILD STRENGTH, POWER, OR BURN FAT!!!!!!

    #2 FASTED CARDIO IS AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BURN BODY FAT. BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO BE 8+ HOURS FASTED TO BURN FAT WITH AEROBICS!!!!!!!

    #3 CERTAIN SUPPLEMENTS MAY ASSIST IN RAISING METABOLISM, AND MAY EVEN HELP TO PREVENT MUSCLE WASTING DURING FASTED EXERCISE. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN EXPECT YOUR SLOW TWITCH MUSCLES TO INCREASE YOUR MAX BENCH PRESS, OR YOUR FAST TWITCH Type 2B MUSCLE TO GET YOUR THROUGH A MARATHON RUN. (EPO and AAS dont count as supplements)

    :bb3:
    That was some great information, thanks for that.

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Some people shouldn't be allowed in the gym
    By freqfly in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 02:39 AM
  2. methyltestosterone Cycle? should or shouldn't
    By Burly in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
  3. My thread shouldn't have been deleted
    By Yagman in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
  4. Shouldn't they go to jail anyway?
    By anabolicrhino in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
  5. Fat burners shouldn't work...
    By NYhomeboy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in