Why you shouldn't eat breakfast

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why You Shouldn’t Eat Breakfast…Again | TheIFLife - Simple Fat Loss, Muscle, Health and Longevity

Why You Shouldn’t Eat Breakfast…Again
May 21, 2008

Photo by hoveringdog
So when you see that stack above….what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Well they are “whole wheat” so it must be healthy. Ha! You know what I think of? Going into a coma and sleeping for hours after I eat it. I imagine huge brain fog and needing a pot of coffee to stay awake for the day. I picture getting nothing really done but taking all day to do it. Breakfast….the illusion for health and weight loss as sold by the general public. Think of the name….”Break” Fast…..you break the fast…..well if I am doing IF…I don’t want to break the fast just now. But how will I survive? Will I lose all my muscle by skipping one meal? Will my metabolism pack up it’s bags and leave? I mean….without breakfast how will I ever get anything done all day…I need energy right? Sound familiar?
While we are talking about it, I came across this great read from Ori Hofmekler (author of the warrior diet). It actually goes very nicely with the Why Workout Fasted post and the Why Stress is Making You Sick and Fat post. Here’s the article (seen here):
When you wake-up, your body is already in an intense detox mode, clearing itself of endotoxins and digestive waste from the past evening meal.

During the morning hours, when digestion is fully completed (while you are on an empty stomach), a primal survival mechanism, known as fight or flight reaction to stress, is triggered, maximizing your body’s capacity to generate energy, be alert, resist fatigue and resist stress.

This highly geared survival mode is primarily dominated by part of the autonomic nervous system known as the SNS (sympathetic nervous system). At that state, the body is in its most energy-producing phase and that’s when most energy comes from fat burning. All that happens when you do not eat the typical morning meal.

If however you follow what “normal guys” do and eat your morning bagel and cereal and egg & bacon, you’ll most likely shut down the above energy producing system.

The SNS and its fight or flight mechanism will be substantially suppressed. Instead, your morning meal will trigger an antagonistic part of the automatic nervous system known as the PSNS (Para sympathetic nervous system), which makes you sleepy, slow and less resilient to fatigue and stress.

Instead of spending energy and burning fat, your body will be more geared towards storing energy and gaining fat. Under this state, detox would be inhibited. The overall metabolic stress would increase with toxins accumulating in the liver, giving the body another substantial reason to gain fat. (Fat tissues serve as a biological storage for toxins)

The overall suppressing effects of morning meals, can lead to energy crashes during the daily (working) hours, often with chronic cravings for pick-up foods, sweets, coffee and tobacco. Eating at the wrong time, would severely interrupt the body’s ability to be in tune with the circadian clock. The human body has never adapted to such interruptions. We are primarily pre-programmed to rotate between the two autonomic nervous system parts: the daily SNS and the nightly PSNS.

The SNS regulates alertness and action during the day, while PSNS regulates relaxation, digestion and sleep during the nightly hours. Any interruption in this primal daily cycle, may lead into sleepiness during the day followed by sleeping disorders at night.

Morning meals must be carefully designed not to suppress the SNS and its highly energetic state. Minimizing morning food intake to fruits, veggie soup or small amounts of fresh light protein foods, such as poached or boiled eggs, plain yogurt, or white cheese, will maintain the body in an undereating phase, while promoting the SNS with its energy producing properties.

*Note: Athletes who exercise in the morning should turn breakfast into a post-exercise recovery meal. Such meals should consist of small amounts of fresh protein plus carbs such as yogurt and banana, eggs plus a bowl of oatmeal, or cottage cheese with berries.

An insulin spike is necessary for effectively finalizing the anabolic actions of GH and IGF1 after exercise. Nonetheless, after the initial recovery meal, it’s highly recommended to maintain the body in an undereating phase by minimizing daily carb intake in the following meals. Applying small protein meals (minimum carbs) every couple of hours will keep sustaining the SNS during the daily hours while providing amino acids for protein synthesis in the muscle tissues, promoting a long lasting anabolic effect after exercise.

In conclusion, breakfast isn’t the most important meal of the day. The most important meals are post-exercise recovery meals. Saying that, for a WARRIOR every meal is a recovery meal helping to recuperate from either nutritional stress (undereating) or physical stress (exercise). It’s when you eat that makes what you eat matter.

Interesting stuff. One type of IF I do not recommend is what is known as Ramadan fasting, in which you eat when you wake, fast during light hours and then eat at night. (this is a Muslim practice done for a month) But during that month of Ramadan, there are also many reports of increased daytime sleepiness, children falling asleep at school, more mental “fogginess” and increased amount of motor vehicle accidents during this observance. Could it be in part to a large meal in the AM and it’s response on our system? I personally have never had so much mental clarity and consistent energy as when I decided to do IF daily and skip morning meals….and have never looked back. People are so paranoid nowadays that they will starve themselves if they skip breakfast or it will crush their metabolism….that is so untrue…as your metabolism requires many many days of low intake to even start to slow down. To think one meal can cause your metabolism to come to a screeching hault or all your muscle will be destroyed, is science based on comic book research (or just reading too many bodybuilding and fitness magazines…which are owned by supplement companies who want you to eat 6x a day and buy all their shakes and bars). Having breakfast is only hailed as the weight loss king because some people may just end up over eating later on from not being able to handle a little hunger and think they are wasting away…..in the end it’s still total calories in a day…whether 3 meals or 6.
:pizza:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Actually, your metabolism is raised for 2 days if you fast, then and only then will it start, going to normal, then slow down.

That is assuming you eat NO FOOD whatsoever, I posted the study 2 times here, not doing it again :D

I usually wake up at noon, first meal at 5, second meal at 10-11 and usually a 50g ATW WPI in water with 5g of fish oil at 12:30-1am, unless I have a workout, which is at 1am and finishes at 2.

A little words of wisdom:

If the official opinion is that option A is good and option B is bad, then stick to the bad option and follow that. High protein diets, creatine, most supplements, CKD, low carb, heavy weights, vitamins, etc.... are all bad and unnecessary according to the "officials", need I say more?

CopyCat, How many people are actually going to look into this and consider it and how many are going to just dismiss it as being detrimental to "anabolism" :rolleyes:

Is it too early to start recommending empty stomach workouts? :D

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haven't been reading the entire thread - but I can vouch for fasted early am workouts for recomping.

You don't have the same strength, but you can anilliate fat without any loss of lean mass as long as your workouts are within a certain timeframe.

During this phase I would do weights for 30-40 minutes (intense, compound, superset-based) then light cardio for 20-30min.

Just sip on some BCAAs or Leucine during

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Skip breakfast? I would never consider that. Not because I'd be afraid my muscle will fall off but I when I wake up...I AM HUNGRY.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Skip breakfast? I would never consider that. Not because I'd be afraid my muscle will fall off but I when I wake up...I AM HUNGRY.
exactly. when i wake i am hungry as well, normally due to the fact that me dinner is my smallest meal of the day, and the cottage cheese i eat before bed is digested by morning. over the years i have learned a bit about training and diet, probably the most important thing i now know is, listen to your body. and as far as ANY "study" goes, there is ALWAYS a portion of people who do not fall into a percentile, e.g. 70% of people responded when...blah,blah,blah, well what if i'm in the other 30%? spend time listening to your own body and trying to figure out what works for you and what does not and you will never have the need for yet another "study".

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
This is interesting but somewhat absurd at the same time.

This right here makes me rethink the credability of the article.: "Such meals should consist of small amounts of fresh protein plus carbs such as yogurt and banana, eggs plus a bowl of oatmeal, or cottage cheese with berries."

That's not a post workout meal, cottage cheese? Are you serious? Yeah casein PWO great idea, and let's create an insulin spike with berries wooo.... No, insulin spikes are caused by fast digesting carbs and the best form is glucose because it's such a simple form of carbohydrate that digetion can actually begin in the mouth! And I hope I don't have to explain why cottage cheese is stupid PWO. Slowest digesting form of protein...

Interesting article and I think a balance is in order. I eat a protein shake and creatine mono either in juice or water, creating an insulin response, not spike, but response, in the morning is benecially as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will admit that I eat breakfast, but not usually a big one and 4 days a week my breakfast is my post workout meal anyways. Just came across this article and found it interesting.

However, I don't believe it's saying NOT to eat breakfast, just that breakfast shouldn't be the way people are used too and time it differently.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh no. As Jake said, I have designed a fasted training program utilizing energy-modulating [cAMP, AMPk, PPAR agonists] and anti-lipogenic/lipolytic supplements meant to catalyze a psuedo-ketogenic state, so to speak. Training fasted merely forces the body to use FFAs, and not glucose, as its oxidative substrate. Luckily for us, 2/3 of contractile energy transactions use FFAs as their currency.

IMO, fasted resistance training is the quickest, easiest, and most beneficial program for recomposition purposes. There is a reason why Ketogenic diets are the most efficacious for fat loss! In my particular program, the benefits of a CKD and full-carbohydrate diet are both realized in their best aspects [though, obviously, not fully!].
Well?

How about some more info??? I'm changing up some things in my workout/ pre-WO supps this week, so hook it up :D

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Yeah I agree with what you're saying Copycat. That's rough not being able to eat before a workout. I don't think I'd have the energy.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
exactly. when i wake i am hungry as well, normally due to the fact that me dinner is my smallest meal of the day, and the cottage cheese i eat before bed is digested by morning. over the years i have learned a bit about training and diet, probably the most important thing i now know is, listen to your body. and as far as ANY "study" goes, there is ALWAYS a portion of people who do not fall into a percentile, e.g. 70% of people responded when...blah,blah,blah, well what if i'm in the other 30%? spend time listening to your own body and trying to figure out what works for you and what does not and you will never have the need for yet another "study".
Agreed! I listen to my body. I think the idea of a fasted workout is a novel one but not for somebody like me. I need all the calories I can get and working out on an empty stomach would be bad. I've tried it before and it wasn't good. When I wake up...my body is telling me to eat. My evening meals and usually small also.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards

Cosign Crazyfool.

Also by not eating before a workout you're still in catabolism from last night. Then you go and burn more glucose calories and glycogen!? You'll just be inducing more catabolism, that's the reason that ketogenic diets are the most efficient for cutting. On a cut I'd rather maintain muscle and burn fat slower than lose muscle and burn fat faster.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what about high intensity training and hypoglycemia especially a risk if not eating? what about low blood sugar following a fast after you eat high GI carbs? which will then eventually lead to a crash.
:lol::lol:

You guys are taking this whole hypoglycemia/catabolism thing too goddamn seriously......:rant::frustrate:frustrate:aargh:

F**K me.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
personally I only truly like fasted cardio bright and early. I find it burns the excess right off of you

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In fairness I do 4 workouts a week in the morning on an empty stomach and have done serious workouts, runs, hikes etc on empty stomachs and been fine. No hypo nothin, but I usually manage to consume more than a 1000cals. I get cranky just thinking about it..hahaha

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cosign Crazyfool.

Also by not eating before a workout you're still in catabolism from last night. Then you go and burn more glucose calories and glycogen!?
This displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the body's energy metabolism in regards to meeting the demands of contractile tissue! The body has two oxidative substrates: FAs [fatty acids, derived from hydrolyzing stored triglycerides to produce 1 glycerol and 2 fatty acid chains] and glucose. In fact, the body meets its demands in the opposite way you are thinking:

The mitochondrial b-oxidation of FFAs and triglycerides, and not the phosphorylation of glucose, is usually the primary mechanism to meet intracellular demands during [especially] resistance training. In fact, the more trained an individual is, the less glycolytic mechanisms are used. Most of the long-term resistance training research displays an increased utilization of intramuscular fatty acid stores, and a decrease in glucose phosphorylation. Actually, PFK [phosphofructokinase, the first signaler of glycolysis] has even been shown to decrease after long-term training, while FA oxidative capacity has increased; suggesting that intracellular FA oxidation is the primary method to meet intracellular energy demands.

In regards to catabolism and all that, we must remember this caveat: The glycogenic pathway is not about what you ate 4 hours ago, but what you ate 4 days ago. You seem to feel there is an immediacy to glycogen storage, when that is not the case! If you have a solid diet, you will not enter into a 'catabolic' state in fasted training.

You'll just be inducing more catabolism, that's the reason that ketogenic diets are the most efficient for cutting. On a cut I'd rather maintain muscle and burn fat slower than lose muscle and burn fat faster.
No, my misinformed friend, that is not why Ketogenic diets are used, nor does that display an understanding of the general process of Ketosis! Ketogenic diets are successful because of the body's [successful] adaptation to chronic glucose depravation. As a result of this depravation, intracellular FA oxidative capacity is increased, and the body habitually catalyzes the hydrolyzation of stored triglycerides [intramuscular and subcutaneous] as a means for fuel provision! I.e., the body literally burns fat as its main source for fuel, and glucose becomes secondary. In fact, after a certain amount of glucose depravation the brain can successfully curtail its glucose utilization by 60% This, of course, is via the production of ketone bodies [the byproduct fatty acid oxidation] - hence the name Ketosis: The perpetual production of Ketone bodies in a state of chronic glucose depravation.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you know how the glycolytic/gluconeogenic pathway operates in reference to resistance training? That is an honest question, by the way; no disrespect intended.

I ask because 'hypoglycaemia' is a bit of a misplaced term here. Also, the GIndex is a bit outdated, CF! I dislike using tools like that, as they are terribly inaccurate, but: The Insulin Index is a better indicator of what we really want to know from the GI. At any rate, who is prescribing utilizing High II foods after a fast?

I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada! :D

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think what is being misunderstood here is the role of FA oxidation in response to training. I think most of you would be plenty surprised at how little the body truly needs glucose to function. For [most likely] the first 185, 000 years of our existence we fed off of animal fat and protein. There is a reason why our bodies have such a high FA Oxidative capacity!

We were initially meant to consume protein and fat; have you not ever wondered why we are so predisposed to glucose-related diseases? What do you feel the incidence rate if for Impaired Fatty Acid synthesis is? Hint: Nada! :D
:thumbsup:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mulletsoldier again.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
This displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the body's energy metabolism in regards to meeting the demands of contractile tissue! The body has two oxidative substrates: FAs [fatty acids, derived from hydrolyzing stored triglycerides to produce 1 glycerol and 2 fatty acid chains] and glucose. In fact, the body meets its demands in the opposite way you are thinking:

What does what I said have to do with energy metabolism and contratile tissue?

The mitochondrial b-oxidation of FFAs and triglycerides, and not the phosphorylation of glucose, is usually the primary mechanism to meet intracellular demands during [especially] resistance training. In fact, the more trained an individual is, the less glycolytic mechanisms are used. Most of the long-term resistance training research displays an increased utilization of intramuscular fatty acid stores, and a decrease in glucose phosphorylation. Actually, PFK [phosphofructokinase, the first signaler of glycolysis] has even been shown to decrease after long-term training, while FA oxidative capacity has increased; suggesting that intracellular FA oxidation is the primary method to meet intracellular energy demands.

I'm sorry I didn't understand much of that, couldn'at really follow what you're saying. What are you even trying to argue here I don't even know.

In regards to catabolism and all that, we must remember this caveat: The glycogenic pathway is not about what you ate 4 hours ago, but what you ate 4 days ago. You seem to feel there is an immediacy to glycogen storage, when that is not the case! If you have a solid diet, you will not enter into a 'catabolic' state in fasted training.

When I said that I was referring to training in the morning as well. But what you say does make sense, however it's the common thought that you're catabolic during the night, this may not be entirely true. I'd have to admit you're right here though, thanks I learned sometihng new today!

No, my misinformed friend, that is not why Ketogenic diets are used, nor does that display an understanding of the general process of Ketosis! Ketogenic diets are successful because of the body's [successful] adaptation to chronic glucose depravation. As a result of this depravation, intracellular FA oxidative capacity is increased, and the body habitually catalyzes the hydrolyzation of stored triglycerides [intramuscular and subcutaneous] as a means for fuel provision! I.e., the body literally burns fat as its main source for fuel, and glucose becomes secondary. In fact, after a certain amount of glucose depravation the brain can successfully curtail its glucose utilization by 60% This, of course, is via the production of ketone bodies [the byproduct fatty acid oxidation] - hence the name Ketosis: The perpetual production of Ketone bodies in a state of chronic glucose depravation.
You know a great deal on the subject, and completely earned my respect. I should have thuoght that through better and relied on my own knowledge rather than popular believe and what I hear said. I'd love to further discuss this... but you lost me lol.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
You know a great deal on the subject, and completely earned my respect. I should have thuoght that through better and relied on my own knowledge rather than popular believe and what I hear said. I'd love to further discuss this... but you lost me lol.
I'm clueless too, but at least I know I am taking supplments from a company that has representaives that have a brain like Mullet to maximize supplementaion results.

BTW, Mullet, Check out my Log! "RoidRageX10 is Reborn"
Hint Hint..Prime and Anabolic Pump are being used..:bb3:

Brother

Brother

Awards
Do you know how the glycolytic/gluconeogenic pathway operates in reference to resistance training? That is an honest question, by the way; no disrespect intended.

I ask because 'hypoglycaemia' is a bit of a misplaced term here. Also, the GIndex is a bit outdated, CF! I dislike using tools like that, as they are terribly inaccurate, but: The Insulin Index is a better indicator of what we really want to know from the GI. At any rate, who is prescribing utilizing High II foods after a fast?

Oh poppycock!! Mullet your are just jawing at the mouth again... Im just joking man. I am slightly Hypo and recently started doing fasted cardio. I love it. Makes my whole body feel young...at 38 thats a feat. However Im not trying to be a body builder Im trying to build a better body. Big difference. Alot of people on these boards are all about "filling" their bodies...obviously thats not always whats best for your body. Im sure I'll get railed for that. LONG LIVE FASTED CARDIO!!!:FUfinger:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, resistance training involves contractile tissue, PL! This means we should be keenly aware of how the body synthesizes and expends compounds necessary for meeting the energy demands of contractile tissue!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm clueless too, but at least I know I am taking supplments from a company that has representaives that have a brain like Mullet to maximize supplementaion results.

BTW, Mullet, Check out my Log! "RoidRageX10 is Reborn"
Hint Hint..Prime and Anabolic Pump are being used..:bb3:
I will be sure to stop in; if not to comment, to read for sure!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:lol::lol:

You guys are taking this whole hypoglycemia/catabolism thing too goddamn seriously......:rant::frustrate:frustrate:aargh:

F**K me.

not wen you get light headed when you train, thats not too serious right? specially during big lifts.

as far as catabolism, will it happen to a crazy extent? probably not, but increasing AMPk i believe inhibits mTOR and protein synthesis. which is not something that we want to do.

however im no expert, and mullet solders posts need to be dumbed down for me a lot of the time.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
^Yeah they have to me dumbed down for me too, and I thought I was smart hahah.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didnt read the whole article I skimmed though it... with that being said just want to add that a friend of mine does this "warrior diet" where you basically fast all day and just eat 1 big meal at night, personally I think he is crazy but hey to each his own

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I didnt read the whole article I skimmed though it... with that being said just want to add that a friend of mine does this "warrior diet" where you basically fast all day and just eat 1 big meal at night, personally I think he is crazy but hey to each his own
that only works if you eat the flesh of small children

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

answer to your first question is im no pro on it. (meaning please explain its been a long while)

your right GI index is outdated but not many people go by the insulin index.

and isnt having something like waxy maize going to cause a ridiculously high insulin response? in which case the body may over secrete insulin in response to the amount of carbs taken in (more so then if you were eating all day and then have the shake rather then having those as your carbs after you have fasted.)

i know glucose really isnt needed i have read tons of stuff on it i actually have a really great article on it if you are interested. (posted it it in a thread about post workout carbs)

also i know that about 80 percent of the glucose we get when we train is being made via gluconeogenisis the other 20 percent comes from what we eat (no bull radio with one of the doctors cant renember the name)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established

Further evidence that my switch to the paleo diet was a GOOD move.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Paleo is a good way to go

smoke dog

Awards

Their are three types of muscle fibers. Type 1, Type 2A, and Type 2B. Fasted morning exercises need to be based upon the type of muscle fibers which are best suited to accomplish your goals.

FASTED STRENGTH or POWER TRAINING IS USELESS!!!!!!!!

Type 2B are the largest, fastest, and most powerful muscle fiber type. They are also easily fatigued and primarily use the Glycolytic and Creatine Phosphate energy channels. The oxidative capacity of this muscle is VERY VERY LOW. Lifting for strength or power is usually done in the 1-8 rep range at 85-100% or your 1RM. The type of muscle fibers being used for this type of training are Type 2B.

Type 2A are your intermediate muscle fibers. They can utilize all three energy pathways (creatine, glycolytic, and oxidative). These fibers are mostly utilized in the 8+ rep range at <85% 1RM.

Type 1 muscle fibers are smaller and weaker than the other types. This is your slow twitch muscle. This muscle's primary energy system is Oxidative, and has a low glycolytic capacity. These muscle fibers are usually distributed most densely in the muscles of the legs (especially lower legs), and postural/core areas. They are utilized during longer duration aerobic exercise (cardio), and approximately 20+ rep range at <40-50% 1RM .

If anyone has read actually read this, i hope you learn a couple things.

#1 FASTED STRENGTH AND POWER TRAINING IS NOT AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BUILD STRENGTH, POWER, OR BURN FAT!!!!!!

#2 FASTED CARDIO IS AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BURN BODY FAT. BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO BE 8+ HOURS FASTED TO BURN FAT WITH AEROBICS!!!!!!!

#3 CERTAIN SUPPLEMENTS MAY ASSIST IN RAISING METABOLISM, AND MAY EVEN HELP TO PREVENT MUSCLE WASTING DURING FASTED EXERCISE. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN EXPECT YOUR SLOW TWITCH MUSCLES TO INCREASE YOUR MAX BENCH PRESS, OR YOUR FAST TWITCH Type 2B MUSCLE TO GET YOUR THROUGH A MARATHON RUN. (EPO and AAS dont count as supplements)

:bb3:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
However Im not trying to be a body builder Im trying to build a better body. Big difference. Alot of people on these boards are all about "filling" their bodies...obviously thats not always whats best for your body.
I have actually considered taking this approach. I figure I will add some pounds to my frame then maybe go that route. I am not even going to try to get involved in this debate and it is way over my head.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
also i know that about 80 percent of the glucose we get when we train is being made via gluconeogenisis the other 20 percent comes from what we eat (no bull radio with one of the doctors cant renember the name)
It really depends on your diet. IF all you eat's carb glucose will all be from glucose, but if all you eat's protein all the glucose you have will be through gluconeogenesis.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Further evidence that my switch to the paleo diet was a GOOD move.
Huzzah! Another Paleo eater here. Changed over completely just a few weeks ago (morning oats were a weak spot for me). Definitely a enormous difference in performance and well-being. Give it a shot fellaz.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It really depends on your diet. IF all you eat's carb glucose will all be from glucose, but if all you eat's protein all the glucose you have will be through gluconeogenesis.

that wasnt what was said in the interview.

doesnt matter the diet, 80% will come from gluconeogenisis or the amino acid pool, and the other 20 will come from ingested carbs.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Their are three types of muscle fibers. Type 1, Type 2A, and Type 2B. Fasted morning exercises need to be based upon the type of muscle fibers which are best suited to accomplish your goals.

Type 2B are the largest, fastest, and most powerful muscle fiber type. They are also easily fatigued and primarily use the Glycolytic and Creatine Phosphate energy channels. The oxidative capacity of this muscle is VERY VERY LOW. Lifting for strength or power is usually done in the 1-8 rep range at 85-100% or your 1RM. The type of muscle fibers being used for this type of training are Type 2B.

Type 2A are your intermediate muscle fibers. They can utilize all three energy pathways (creatine, glycolytic, and oxidative). These fibers are mostly utilized in the 8+ rep range at <85% 1RM.

Type 1 muscle fibers are smaller and weaker than the other types. This is your slow twitch muscle. This muscle's primary energy system is Oxidative, and has a low glycolytic capacity. These muscle fibers are usually distributed most densely in the muscles of the legs (especially lower legs), and postural/core areas. They are utilized during longer duration aerobic exercise (cardio), and approximately 20+ rep range at <40-50% 1RM .

#1 FASTED STRENGTH AND POWER TRAINING IS NOT AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BUILD STRENGTH, POWER, OR BURN FAT!!!!!!

#2 FASTED CARDIO IS AN EFFICIENT WAY TO BURN BODY FAT. BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO BE 8+ HOURS FASTED TO BURN FAT WITH AEROBICS!!!!!!!

#3 CERTAIN SUPPLEMENTS MAY ASSIST IN RAISING METABOLISM, AND MAY EVEN HELP TO PREVENT MUSCLE WASTING DURING FASTED EXERCISE. BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN EXPECT YOUR SLOW TWITCH MUSCLES TO INCREASE YOUR MAX BENCH PRESS, OR YOUR FAST TWITCH Type 2B MUSCLE TO GET YOUR THROUGH A MARATHON RUN. (EPO and AAS dont count as supplements)

That was some great information, thanks for that.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
that wasnt what was said in the interview.

doesnt matter the diet, 80% will come from gluconeogenisis or the amino acid pool, and the other 20 will come from ingested carbs.
Do you have the article, I'd love to see it. Sounds false to be. Reason being that protein is the only one of the macro nutrients to have nitrogen atoms all the others are made from carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen Protein has a vital job in the body skin, hair, nails, muscle repair ect. Your diet should be made up of mostly carbs (glucose) so you will have enough glucose through a carbohydrate loaded diet. Gluconeogenesis only occurs when your bdoy has an insufficient amount of glucose to meet energy needs. Protein as well as fat can be converted to glucose(pretty sure). So if you have enough glucose from your diet gluconeogenesis will not occur.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you have the article, I'd love to see it. Sounds false to be. Reason being that protein is the only one of the macro nutrients to have nitrogen atoms all the others are made from carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen Protein has a vital job in the body skin, hair, nails, muscle repair ect. Your diet should be made up of mostly carbs (glucose) so you will have enough glucose through a carbohydrate loaded diet. Gluconeogenesis only occurs when your bdoy has an insufficient amount of glucose to meet energy needs. Protein as well as fat can be converted to glucose(pretty sure). So if you have enough glucose from your diet gluconeogenesis will not occur.
glucose isnt really necessary nutrient your body can deal without it and much more effectivly IMO

but its on no bull radio on the MD forum ill have to dig it up its an interview not a written article.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
not wen you get light headed when you train, thats not too serious right? specially during big lifts.

as far as catabolism, will it happen to a crazy extent? probably not, but increasing AMPk i believe inhibits mTOR and protein synthesis. which is not something that we want to do.

however im no expert, and mullet solders posts need to be dumbed down for me a lot of the time.
AMPk also regulates PPARa/y and their target genes; inhibits ACC [transcriptional and post-translational] and increases MCD phosphorylation, and thereby increases CPT-1; inhibits PEPCK; and significantly increases whole body Insulin sensitivity! IMO, these things overcome the downstream inhibition of mTOR!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Unfortunately, we are not predominantly or even [for the most of us] marginally comprised by Type IIx. I am also assuming you are referring to Type IIx as Type IIb now refers to other mammalian skeletal muscle phenotypes [not human].

Now, with that being said, Type IIx fiber oxidative capacity is INTERMEDIATE, not low, as you stated; leading us to believe that a combination approach to exercise is most efficacious. If we simply ate to feed our Type IIx we would have no endurance; i.e., those of us who lift for >5 minutes to build mass should not take your advice.

Also, could you quantify why utilizing the body's oxidative capacity is inefficient for building mass? You have a point in terms of power training [i.e., 1-3 rep training, long rests, and very acute bouts of training] but have absolutely no point in regards to a more aesthetically-tuned training regime which incorporates more than Type IIx fibers. Bodybuilding, to increase sarcoplasmic fluid capacity, does not predominantly use Type IIx fiber type. As a result of consistent bouts of resistance training [multiple weeks in a row], Type IIa fiber activation takes precedent over Type IIx! The role of Type IIx as the power fiber had been misunderstood for some time: In very acute [see: completely untrained individuals forced to complete an arduous task] Type IIx is the power fiber; however, in trained individuals [see: the vast majority of us on this site] Type IIa fibers come to dominate:

In fact, Sharon et al (1991), Adams et al (1993) and other studies display a proportionate decrease in Type IIx fibers with long bouts of resistance training [12 weeks and over]. Training of the type most people here utilize does not demand Type IIb fiber activation as you suggest! In Sharon et al's study, the decrease in Type IIx fibers was from 16% to 0.9%. As a result, I am not sure your point was well made!

As well, the glycolytic pathway is not immediate; unless your diet is horrid you will have glycogen stored from the previous day.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Also, Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy [increase in sarcoplasmic fluid without associated increase in myofibril increase] is most efficiently achieved via Type IIa fibers as a function of the interplay between explosive contraction and endurance! This correlates directly to the studies I mentioned previously. Bodybuilders should be most interested in Type IIa fibers which DO have a high oxidative capacity.

I.e., You make a scathing criticism for fasted training assuming several things:

a) Fiber phenotype activation is the only factor in regulating myofibrillar hypertrophy. In fact, neural adaptation and acetylcholine activation are just as important. Two things not affected by carbohydrate metabolism.

b) That the interplay between fiber type activation and an increase in [FA] oxidative capacity has no accumulative relationship for muscle growth. To increase relative performance we must achieve both hypertrophy and increased oxidative capacity.

c) That Type IIx fiber types are the only fiber types which result in an increase in protein activation factors.

d) That Type IIx fiber types are the most important for resistance training - they are not!

If anybody read your post they would have most definitely picked up some practical information! However, and without being rude, it does not pertain to this particular due to its inadequate scope of analysis. Anabolism [particularly of the type most of those reading this are interested in - i.e., increasing mass] is a far more diverse subject than fiber type!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
AMPk also regulates PPARa/y and their target genes; inhibits ACC [transcriptional and post-translational] and increases MCD phosphorylation, and thereby increases CPT-1; inhibits PEPCK; and significantly increases whole body Insulin sensitivity! IMO, these things overcome the downstream inhibition of mTOR!

what did you/ are you sudying that you know so much, i want to learn this.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
and you picked all this up along the way????

:think:
Yes, exactly. Mostly through casual reading and so forth. A customer would ask a question/make a comment and I would research do answer that question [firstly out of hobby, then after out of vocation].

where can i learn much of what your saying?
Hmm, I have no idea really. That is a bit like asking, "Where did you learn to workout?" I mean, you could say "I started here", or "this person first showed me...." but you couldn't really summate what you know in a single place!