Tuna (now with less protein)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Well I had a rather unnerving discovery this morning, and although I bet many of you already know this, tuna (at least chunk lite in water) has about 1/3rd less protein than I thought it had.

Just a few months ago, the brand (Starkist) I was buying advertised the cans as "2.5 servings of 13g protein). Roughly 33 grams of protein - a good sized portion of protein for a meal. Today I went back to the label to find that both numbers have been cropped... now its listed as "2 servings of 11g protein". 22g protein per can.

Just a heads up for all those counters out there.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are the can sizes smaller?

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
yeah, it's just a smaller can. I know what you're talking about cuz I accidentally get the smaller cans every now and then. Check the weight on the front of the can.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Check the weight next time you purchase. They sell a smaller can as well as a larger one. I guess for people who don't need an entire can of tuna. I think the pouches differ in weight as well.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there was an article recently about food companies that are downing their sizes of packaged foods and charging the same.. for instance pint of ice cream is no longer a pint (i think that was one) or the ellios pizza are now way smaller but box is still same size.. i think peanut butter was another on the list..

I read the article around the time of those high gas prices so dont kno if its still goin on

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I've seen the double-sized cans (clear size difference), but have you guys been buying anything above 6oz? The 22g protein was from a 5oz can of Chunk Lite in water.

The only 6oz can we have currently at our place (this one Chunk in oil), yields 25g protein. 35g is what I was accustomed to accounting for when I ate a can of tuna... throws me off a bit. Been eating the same brand for years now too.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was hilusinating when I saw that a while back... Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ice Cream and Cheese have been tragically shrinking up here in Canada. The Ice Cream always came in 2L, -->1.89-->1.6 Now. Cheese used to come in large 900g bars, then 800g, now most stores carry the 540g size! Whenever I go to the US I love buying cheese since you guys have skim cheddar, salt-free cottage cheese and other great options not up here in Canada.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

When it comes to food, package size matters
Anne Gelhaus
Sep 12th 2008 at 10:00AM

Choosy mothers should probably choose Jif if they want to scrape more peanut butter out of a standard-size jar. According to CNN, competing sandwich spread Skippy is among numerous brand names that have quietly shrunk the size of their packaging as a means of passing on food inflation to consumers.

While the Skippy jar remains the same height and diameter as it did when it contained a full 18 ounces of peanut butter, a deeper indentation on the bottom accounts for the loss of 1.7 ounces. Meanwhile, the most significant change Jif has made to its packaging is on the label, where large type alerts consumers to the fact that this jar is still 18 ounces strong

Other slimmed-down packages include:

A box of Kellogg's Apple Jacks, down from 11 to 8.7 oz.;

A can of Starkist tuna, shrunk from 6 to 5 oz.;
A bottle of Tropicana orange juice, which sports a new snap cap that's supposed to make up for the fact that you're getting 7 oz. less liquid; and

A "half-gallon" container of Breyers Ice Cream, which now holds 48 oz. instead of 64.

Consumers are catching on. In a nationwide Consumer Reports survey in July, 75% of respondents said they noticed packages are shrinking, and 71% believed the main reason for downsizing was to hide price hikes from consumers. Still, half of those surveyed said they'd prefer that manufacturers keep the old package and raise the price.

Edgar Dworsky, editor of mouseprint.org, a consumer education Web site that examines advertising's fine print, suggests checking and comparing the unit prices in the grocery store and opting for the brand that offers the most value. In other words, even those of us without children should be choosy mothers when it comes to buying food.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Time to buy a farm and grow my own food and get some cows. I'm so glad the govt focuses on AAS for the last 5 years instead of our economy heading into the shitter.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I thought we were getting a killer deal on those cans - they go for under 50 cents in the multi-packs. Now I can understand why. Thanks for the finding that.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I just noticed this also, but I assumed the mis-labeled tuna in the past with a higher amount of protein than it really had, and the new labeling has the correct macro's.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I just noticed this also, but I assumed the mis-labeled tuna in the past with a higher amount of protein than it really had, and the new labeling has the correct macro's.
I also think that is the case. The math from the reduction in sizes doesn't pan out either, further leaning me towards that assumption as well (reduction from 6oz to 5oz would reduce 35 protein to about 29, yet it's 22).

OH WELL, maybe I'll just have to double up on cans for that meal. More the merrier, love the stuff.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
The only problem with double is, double the mercury, double the price.

Rah22491

Awards
Speaking of mercury levels my trainer told me there is a generic sup that lowers the mercury levels in your body from eating too much tuna. Its really cheap but damn i just cant remember the name of it something like colic idk. It is a garlic sup tho. Anybody know that im talking bout?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of mercury levels my trainer told me there is a generic sup that lowers the mercury levels in your body from eating too much tuna. Its really cheap but damn i just cant remember the name of it something like colic idk. It is a garlic sup tho. Anybody know that im talking bout?
Definitely interested in that... I recently starting taking Apple Cider Vinegar, mainly to stave off the cold/flu this winter, but I believe it's fairly effecient at cleansing toxins from the body. Might be a good addition(might even be a good addition to a tuna recipe...hmm).

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
intrested in this as I eat a **** load of tuna and prolly am filled with mercury.. try and find this out

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Just checked my most recent tuna purchase (Chicken of the Sea, solid albacore, in water, 6oz):

2.5 servings, 15g protein each, 37.5g/can
(costco 12-pack, less than $1/can)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Time to buy a farm and grow my own food and get some cows. I'm so glad the govt focuses on AAS for the last 5 years instead of our economy heading into the shitter.
Gotta pay back their bosses - oops, I mean "contributors and fund-raisers" - after all, nothing is free..for us....

Actually, I'm planning on digging up my front lawn & turning the whole thing into a raised-bed garden by next spring. Boy, is that going to take a LOT of compost....

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah my Skippy PB shrank a long time ago. A lot of stuff did.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

You mean Shenanigans?

That's right I call shenanigans!

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
NAC is a heavy metal chelator.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Either way we're still buying our own cows though, right? :)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like EDTA - in which case, the word you're thinking of is "chelation"

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lets invest in a "group" buy of an organic beef/bison farm.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Bision pwns. It's like 4.49 / LB for free range Bison at my local GIANT supermarket.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lets invest in a "group" buy of an organic beef/bison farm.
i am part of a co-op group and they put orders into surburban organics. get really good deals for organic stuff compared to a orgaic store like whole foods or trader joes ...I am sure my co-op is all veggies and fruit but I am pretty sure there is a meat one somewhere...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Anabolicminds farm, take care of the animals in the morning and lift in the evening, oh and in the barn is Nutraplanet with stocked shelves where you can just grab whatever you need. Ahh the dream.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Even Walmart's tuna went from 2.5 servings to 2 servings and the price went from something like $.50 per can to something like $.74 per can.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Anabolicminds farm, take care of the animals in the morning and lift in the evening, oh and in the barn is Nutraplanet with stocked shelves where you can just grab whatever you need. Ahh the dream.
AnabolicFarms.com, where we lift the animals - raising nutrition to new heights! Every animal receives the personal attention of a dozen dedicated bodybuilders as we work to provide you with the buffest food on the planet!

AnabolicFarms.com - where even the vegetables are made of meat!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
* Now trademarked. Please cease use without proper allowance.

haha

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wegmans albacore now has a warning on it. CONTAINS SOY.

WTF?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Wegmans albacore now has a warning on it. CONTAINS SOY.

WTF?
Wow man, that makes no sense whatsoever. Unless they are using fillers now to make up the cut in volume, I have no idea why they would say that. How do the macronutrient numbers look? Same as before?

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Not to clown but uh hilusinating:think:

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I read the label on the cans at the grocery tonight. Now there is only 2 servings a can versus 2.5, like it used to be. economic turmoil sucks.

3dmuscle9122

Awards
Tuna

I would just stay away form tuna altogether. If you have to have it don't consume more than 3 cans a week. There is so much mercury
in tuna that it is not even worth it. ConsumerReports tested Caned tuna and found out that the FDA's Recommendation's were dangerously flawed.
I also try to stay away from bottom feeders.

Makes you wonder if the Fishing Companies in bed the the FDA.
Here are some good Fish alternatives:

MAXIMUM CONSUMPTION PER WEEK
Species Men, Women of childbearing age, 6-oz.
serving Children up to 45 pounds, 3-oz. serving

MEN & Women / Children Up to 45 Pounds
Salmon every day / every day
Shrimp every day / every day
Clam every day / every day
Tilapia every day / every day I highly recommend Cheap and does not taste like fish
Oyster every day / several to every day
Hake every day / several to every day
Sardine every day / several to every day
Crawfish every day / several
Pollock every day / 2 to several
Herring several / 2 to several
Flatfish (flounder, sole) several / 2 to several
Mullet several / 2 to several
Mackerel, Atlantic several / 2 to several
Scallop several / 2 to several
Crab several / 1 to several
Croaker, Atlantic several / 1 to 2
Choosing wild salmon minimizes exposure to a number of other pollutants.

Sources: Environmental Protection Agency, Food and Drug Administration, and our fish-safety experts.