Polumbo/CKD/Anabolic

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what are the major differences in these diets.. they look pretty much all the same basic guidelines to me.. any significant differences? I want to start a good fat loss diet, I am very sports active and trying to weigh my options of which one would be best to go with..

any type of pros and cons list or just any major differences between the 3 diets I should know before I commit myself to one would be extremely helpful..

Thanks

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Here it goes, at the basic level.

Palumbo diet - Low carb, 1 "cheat" meal a week.

CKD - This is a style of dieting and not a set diet, it infers and assumes a period of low carbing followed by a period of carbing up. IE, 5 low carb days 2 high carb days. First day can be all high GL carbs, second day low GL and shifting into low carb. Or it can be a free for all with careful minding on watching fat.

AD: You get around 60 percent fat and around 40 percent protein. You do 12 low carb days when you start the diet and then two carb up days. From that point on it follows a 5-2 low carb to high carb schedule, like the CKD style diets. Carb levels are also suggested to be played with, increasing them until you feel stable then decreasing them to find what level works best for you. It also has supplements that are suggested for use but it's not very important to use them.

UDv2.0: This particular diet uses up to around 50 carbs a day and has a different specific set of instructions on how to exercise and when to carb load.

Scivation diet: low carb, 1 carb meal every 18th meal. Suggest use of supplements and certain meal combinations for optimal performance.

CKD is one of three "trees" of ketogenic dieting.

CKD: Cyclic ketogenic dieting, like I mentioned before infers a period of low carbing around 20-30 carbs a day and a period of high carbohydrate intake.

TKD: Targeted ketogenic dieting, this type of diet uses a certain amount of carbs and centers it before and after workouts to keep muscle glycogen levels at a certain level. Does not usually utilize carb ups because of the carbs centered around training.

Ketogenic dieting, just going low carb, no carb ups. Not very efficient for bodybuilding purposes.

These are your three main trees of ketogenic dieting. All the diets I described above fall under CKD. They all use a carb load to raise muscle glycogen levels as well as promote a few more things.

So when it comes down to the palumbo diet vs the AD diet, I opt for the AD diet. The AD diet is probably better suited for people that know their body better, but it is easy to just walk into.

Just like in the other thread I posted my concerns about the palumbo diet was information that I felt was misleading or just incorrect.

AD Diet pros -
1. Easy to do
2. Carb loads give you a free for all card when you've trained correctly and dieted on point.
3. More open ended than the palumbo diet (I haven't gotten a great deal of information on the palumbo diet, most of the information I find is limited to a little section).

AD diet cons
1. Might be hard for people that don't know when to stop eating or who over eat fat on carb load days.
2. If you've never done a depletion workout or a carb load it can be a little hard.

Palumbo diet pros:
1. 1 carb up meal during the week means more overall time in ketosis, potentially more fat burning.
2. Less chance for overeating when you stick to that one cheat meal.

Palumbo diet cons:
1. I feel its too limiting.
2. I feel information presented as accurate is inaccurate as related to the diet.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks.. I have read two of scivation books before and tried the cutdiet one and kinda gave up on it.. gets real old eating chicken, green beans and almonds 5 times a day..

I just downloaded the Anabolic diet e-book and going to be reading up on it.

So I am thinking palumbo is out of my options and down to ckd and ad.. leaning towards AD on the simple fact of I have that e-book and the book looks real solid and outlined real well with sample meal plans and feels like easier to follow and do where as the ckd diet all I have found is just a basic overview of it, but they both seem the same concepts essientially

thanks for the info thomas!!! will be reading the ad book and most likely posting with anything i dont grasp or fully understand, I will also most likely be starting a diet/training log to track myself and make sure I stay within the guidelines of the diet... thanks again!

Kc2554

Awards
Here it goes, at the basic level.

Palumbo diet - Low carb, 1 "cheat" meal a week.

CKD - This is a style of dieting and not a set diet, it infers and assumes a period of low carbing followed by a period of carbing up. IE, 5 low carb days 2 high carb days. First day can be all high GL carbs, second day low GL and shifting into low carb. Or it can be a free for all with careful minding on watching fat.

AD: You get around 60 percent fat and around 40 percent protein. You do 12 low carb days when you start the diet and then two carb up days. From that point on it follows a 5-2 low carb to high carb schedule, like the CKD style diets. Carb levels are also suggested to be played with, increasing them until you feel stable then decreasing them to find what level works best for you. It also has supplements that are suggested for use but it's not very important to use them.

UDv2.0: This particular diet uses up to around 50 carbs a day and has a different specific set of instructions on how to exercise and when to carb load.

Scivation diet: low carb, 1 carb meal every 18th meal. Suggest use of supplements and certain meal combinations for optimal performance.

CKD is one of three "trees" of ketogenic dieting.

CKD: Cyclic ketogenic dieting, like I mentioned before infers a period of low carbing around 20-30 carbs a day and a period of high carbohydrate intake.

TKD: Targeted ketogenic dieting, this type of diet uses a certain amount of carbs and centers it before and after workouts to keep muscle glycogen levels at a certain level. Does not usually utilize carb ups because of the carbs centered around training.

Ketogenic dieting, just going low carb, no carb ups. Not very efficient for bodybuilding purposes.

These are your three main trees of ketogenic dieting. All the diets I described above fall under CKD. They all use a carb load to raise muscle glycogen levels as well as promote a few more things.

So when it comes down to the palumbo diet vs the AD diet, I opt for the AD diet. The AD diet is probably better suited for people that know their body better, but it is easy to just walk into.

Just like in the other thread I posted my concerns about the palumbo diet was information that I felt was misleading or just incorrect.

AD Diet pros -
1. Easy to do
2. Carb loads give you a free for all card when you've trained correctly and dieted on point.
3. More open ended than the palumbo diet (I haven't gotten a great deal of information on the palumbo diet, most of the information I find is limited to a little section).

AD diet cons
1. Might be hard for people that don't know when to stop eating or who over eat fat on carb load days.
2. If you've never done a depletion workout or a carb load it can be a little hard.

Palumbo diet pros:
1. 1 carb up meal during the week means more overall time in ketosis, potentially more fat burning.
2. Less chance for overeating when you stick to that one cheat meal.

Palumbo diet cons:
1. I feel its too limiting.
2. I feel information presented as accurate is inaccurate as related to the diet.
I have a statement/question about fat sources from the three. Under CKD/Bodyopus, I got the impression that the user is supposed to limit fats from nut sources. Reason being they contain too many carbs. The user should opt for sources such as fish (I believe fish is a staple in all the keto type diets), mayo, heavy cream, bacon, etc. Palumbo diet calls for fat sources from mostly peanuts, almonds, macadamia nuts/oil, etc. I feel these are healthier sources of fats than the choices I assumed to be preferred on the BO diet.

Were my assumptions correct; is one to avoid nuts when on the CKD/Bdoyopus diet?

Thomas, The high level document that seems to float around the net is just that...very high level. One area Dave should have made himself more clear was on the use of MCT's In the doc, he does say something along the lies of "useless", but on a post he made personally; he says that are "ok" (as in one of the sources one may use). He does condone MCT, but prefers his clients using Macadamian Oil or Olive Oil. He also recommends around 6-8 grams of fish oil/day.

I enjoyed the forum, and did find it informative...Im sure everyone knows where to find it.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I don't see why not use nuts, if you stay well within the carb limit.

You could run the diet with just red meat, some people find as they switch to poly/mono unsaturated fats that they cut easier as they trim down.