recomp diet and training plan...need advice...

thething86

Awards
Hey,
I am looking to gain lean muscle while losing fat, recomp I guess. I am 5' 10" 180lbs and about 13-14 percent bf. I will be training with HST. I am not sure of how to go about calculating my calories and macros to achieve these goals. Could you guys help me out?

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
well macros are hard to calculate with anyone. You know what type of body you are? like meso ecto ect?? Im still working on my diet but im sure some could help you more with more info.

thething86

Awards
well i have never had "true" abs no matter how hard i have dieted and when i bulk i gain strength and everything but I just end up putting a lot of fat on, and I don't overdo it on the calories either. And when I cut, I lose a lot of muscle and strength, but the fat never seems to come off...does that help any?

I seem to respond well to low carbs...so I was thinking of trying the palumbo diet. But I want to gain muscle too...would I be able to do that with this diet? Maybe up the fat and protein calories but leave the carbs really low?

If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciated it

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
are you the really skinny type of person?? are you the normal guy always with a little pudge on your stomach. basically thats how to tell if you are ectomorphic or mesomorphic.

thething86

Awards
the normal weight guy that never can get abs haha

thething86

Awards
i was looking into the ckd diet, but I don't see how anyone could gain muscle with no carbs...so I'm not sure what to do

Fear

Fear

Awards
IMO a low/no carb diet isn't the way to go. Some of my friends have tries a low carb lifestyle and did manage to lose weight, but as soon as they started eating carbs again their weight ballooned back to the norm plus more. Also, your body uses fiber to aid with fat loss and digestion.

In any case, recomp is the way to go. Don't try to focus on cutting or bulking, those are simply shortcuts which can carry negative consequences. (fat gain, muscle loss)
I would recommend not trying to gain a significant amount of muscle while you lose fat, as this is nearly impossible without kick ass genes. Instead, focus on very slight and slow weight loss with increased strength.

Here's how: Find out exactly the right amount of calories needed for you to remain at the same weight. Eat well, high protein, moderate carbs and moderate fats, every two to three hours. Drink plenty of water. After you have that down, add a cardio session for every day that you are not lifting.

I know it sounds hard, and it is, but really try to push yourself farther and farther each time in the weight room. This will boost your metabolism as well as keep your strength from going down.

You can do it bro, I'm actually following these steps as well and it's really working for me. I started doing this about a month and a half ago, since then my bench press went up 15 lbs and my weight dropped about 3 lbs mostly fat.

I've left out a lot of details so just let me know if you need any help or other information.

thething86

Awards
Thanks for the advice bro, how would this be........I would eat high pro/moderate carbs/and moderate fat but with all my carbs coming from breakfast, pre and post workout. I would be using a lot of protein powder bc I'm at college and don't have the time to cook things every 3 hours. I will be training using HST and doing low intensity cardio on my off days (tues and thursday).

Look good so far? What is a good number to multiply your weight by to get roughly in the area of your maintenance calories? And you said you want to be eating maintenance calories right?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best thing to do is to log your kcals for about a week and then go into a mild surplus during your recomp. Usually 200-300 extra over maintenance is plenty and train as though you are cutting. Lift as hard as you can and do cardio 3-4x/wk and take some solid nutrient repartitioners (ALA, Banaba, Forskolin, etc).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forskolin-work up to 100mg of active over a 10-12 day span
ALA depends on which form you choose. Go with either R-ALA or Na-R-ALA if you can afford it. If you you get those, then dose it to 300-500mg of active (depending on how many carbs you eat).

thething86

Awards
i would be using vitamin shoppes Forslean. It says it contains 125mg of forslean....is that the amount of active?

Would I take the ala with my carb meals?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably not; it's probably 25mg (a 20% extract). Dose the ALA ~15 minutes before carb heavy meals.

thething86

Awards
Ok this is what I've got so far.

1. I will train using HST, doing low intensity cardio for 45-60 minutes on tuesdays and thursdays

2. I will eat 200-300 cals above my maintenance level, with carbs coming from breakfast, pre and post workout

3. I will be supplementing with whey, casein, NOW's ADAM, a B complex, Ester C, other vitamin c, zma, forskolin, and R-ala

4. Fat intake will be about 30 percent of total calories

How is this looking so far guys? Looking good for gaining muscle/losing fat?

Would you recommend any other supplements?

Thanks...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Little too much cardio. Try 20-30 minutes at ~70% MHR post-lifting. I did this last winter/spring and went from 169 to 177 while losing 5 lbs of fat along the way and my lifts went up across the board.

thething86

Awards
I'll probably just do abs and cardio on tuesday and thursday with 30 minutes at 70 percent. Is two days too little? I say this bc my workout will probably take at least 45 minutes and I don't want to be in the gym longer than that so I was going to do cardio on my non lifting days. Is that ok?

thething86

Awards
Nothing other than the fact that I don't want to be in the gym longer than 45 minutes if I can help it. I had a bad experience with over training last summer bc I spent too much time in the gym and my testosterone went in the shitter. I have the blood tests to prove it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing other than the fact that I don't want to be in the gym longer than 45 minutes if I can help it. I had a bad experience with over training last summer bc I spent too much time in the gym and my testosterone went in the shitter. I have the blood tests to prove it
Your body doesn't have a built-in stop watch. You will be fine as long as your diet is solid.

thething86

Awards
So just rest on the off days? Or do more cardio? :lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rest. I think I was training 4x/wk when I did my recomp and I was doing probably 3 hours of cardio per week. I just ate really clean with a cheat meal every 3 days or so.

thething86

Awards
Should I keep my calories the same (200-300) above maintenance on my rest days?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would say to play with that. Depends on the person, so it's hard to say.

thething86

Awards
Ok I will.... so am I looking good so far? One other thing....the workout room in my apartment building only has machines and a cable machine. I really don't have time to go to the actual gym. Just make sure to use heavy weight?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eww, good luck with that. You're not going to get the results you want with that kind of equipment.

thething86

Awards
yea......that's what i figured....i'll just have to make it a priority to get to the actual gym. well other than that....I guess all this is a good starting point right? Thanks for the help...I might post some tomorrow if I think of anything else

thething86

Awards
hey man can I take all of these....banaba, r-ala, and forskolin? How would I dose the banaba?

And what creatine caps would you recommend? I have been looking at Omega sports cre ethyl thunder and Applied's Neovar

I plan on picking up some blue up or just plain Tongkat Ali as well....or would it be a waste?

Thanks again

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use banaba or ALA; both is overkill. If you want to hit 2 birds, then get NeoVar because it has banaba and creatine.

thething86

Awards
would blue up or tongkat ali be beneficial to me? what about using something like trans-reservitol or icarin or I3C to keep estrogen at a good level?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you feel the need to try them, then add them later after you know how your body is reacting to your training, diet, and current supplements. No need to shotgun several supplements you haven't tried in the past.

thething86

Awards
Have you had any experience with any of those? The reason I ask is because I have a little high estrogen levels and was wondering if there was some herb or something that I could take to lower mainly my estradiol a bit?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only NHA supplements I give my seal of approval are Activate Xtreme and Drive.

thething86

Awards
So how's this for supplements on a recomp?? I am thinking TTA, Neovar, forskolin, raspberry ketones.

I have ester c to control cortisol.

Something to lower estrogen a bit would probably be helpful for me. What would you suggest? Something natural if possible...

Also something like Tongkat Ali to raise testosterone?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't want to lower estrogen too much because it plays a significant role in fat burning. The forskolin will help to raise you test and thyroid levels, which makes it an amazing recomp supplement.