carbs during working out - AnabolicMinds.com

carbs during working out

1. Banned

carbs during working out

For the last few weeks, i have been drinking a mix of 60g of maltdextose with 10g of taruine pre/during my workouts with some cystal light

How you guy feel about this?

2. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brolic View Post
    For the last few weeks, i have been drinking a mix of 60g of maltdextose with 10g of taruine pre/during my workouts with some cystal light

add some bcaas or WPI 10-15g
  3. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    add some bcaas or WPI 10-15g
    why only 15g?
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

why only 15g?
    It's a good number to start at - some people take more - I don't see the point unless you're doing extended cardio.

Why did you choose malto as your carb source?
  5. Banned

It's a good number to start at - some people take more - I don't see the point unless you're doing extended cardio.

Why did you choose malto as your carb source?
    bc it was less than 3$ a pd and i Never used a carb b4
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

bc it was less than 3$ a pd and i Never used a carb b4

that's why I use dextrose - cheap.

...so you just sip on this mixture during WO?
  7. Banned

that's why I use dextrose - cheap.

...so you just sip on this mixture during WO?
    is dex better? i also take it pwo
  8. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

is dex better? i also take it pwo
    It's a simple sugar, but Im not sure if it's better or not. But I pick it up from the brewing section of the supermarket for like $3/kg. I mix it 50:50 with WMS - that costs a little, but not by much.
  9. Banned

malt is complex like wms
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

malt is complex like wms
    Not really...but I will let somebody who knows more to explain that one. That's a whole nother topic in itself.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

wms is heavy, not complex
  12. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Not really...but I will let somebody who knows more to explain that one. That's a whole nother topic in itself.
    Carbo Gain is a 100% pure complex carbohydrate supplement derived from maltodextrin, an easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates from corn starch. Maltodextrin contains "glucose polymers", linked sugar compounds that are easy for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized as a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance-oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain.

Carbo Gain contains virtually no protein, fat or fiber and is a convenient source of energy for active individuals.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Carbo Gain is a 100% pure complex carbohydrate supplement derived from maltodextrin, an easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates from corn starch. Maltodextrin contains "glucose polymers", linked sugar compounds that are easy for the body to assimilate and use. Glucose polymers are metabolized as a slow, steady rate that can help to sustain energy levels during endurance-oriented workouts and/or athletic events and support weight gain.

Carbo Gain contains virtually no protein, fat or fiber and is a convenient source of energy for active individuals.
    Yeah...I know that. I have read the label on NOW's carbo gain before. I don't know the exact science behind it but maltodextrin is really not a complex carb. It has a glycemic index of 137. It might be classified as a "complex carb"...oatmeal is a complex carb.
  14. New Member

I drink a shake with 60g carbs(malto etc) and 25g p pre/during my WO, sip it throughout. I then have another one that is identical immediately PW. 1-1.5 hours later I have a large whole fool meal with at least 30g+ p and around 100g c.

the shake before/during seems to help, I make better progress and my results are better compared to if I don't consume it.
    I also seem to get a better 'pump' on higher rep days.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.

I think saving it for PWO would be better so that the insulin spike and protein can come when your body needs it. I don't have much science to back up this post though
  16. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve View Post
    I drink a shake with 60g carbs(malto etc) and 25g p pre/during my WO, sip it throughout. I then have another one that is identical immediately PW. 1-1.5 hours later I have a large whole fool meal with at least 30g+ p and around 100g c.

the shake before/during seems to help, I make better progress and my results are better compared to if I don't consume it.
    I also seem to get a better 'pump' on higher rep days.
    I use a very similar protocol. Pre-to-intra- shake with carbs, EAAs and BCAAs, sometimes a little hydrolysate in about 2-3liters of H20. Drink half before the gym, other half in the gym.
    Reasoning - you're using those carbs while you workout - why limit your carbs to post-workout; consume them while you're using them! Also, carbs+amino acids intra- or pre workout has been shown to decrease cortisol production, speed recovery and increase protein synthesis (look up the Journal of Sports and Fitness nutrition article that U-Rep posted, good stuff).

I have never seen any compelling evidence that WMS is superior to Malto or Dex. Everything has been anecdotal or put forth by a company producing it with very limited specifics as to their study methods.

Malto is a complex carb (complex meaning it is more than one monosaccharide bound together); WMS is too, it is just bigger, heavier and contains more "branches" of sugars all stuck together than Malto. Does that make it better. Not necessarily - until I find some actual evidence otherwise, logic says it's gonna spike insulin just as much as any other fast carb.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I use a very similar protocol. Pre-to-intra- shake with carbs, EAAs and BCAAs, sometimes a little hydrolysate in about 2-3liters of H20. Drink half before the gym, other half in the gym.
    Reasoning - you're using those carbs while you workout - why limit your carbs to post-workout; consume them while you're using them! Also, carbs+amino acids intra- or pre workout has been shown to decrease cortisol production, speed recovery and increase protein synthesis (look up the Journal of Sports and Fitness nutrition article that U-Rep posted, good stuff).

I have never seen any compelling evidence that WMS is superior to Malto or Dex. Everything has been anecdotal or put forth by a company producing it with very limited specifics as to their study methods.

Malto is a complex carb (complex meaning it is more than one monosaccharide bound together); WMS is too, it is just bigger, heavier and contains more "branches" of sugars all stuck together than Malto. Does that make it better. Not necessarily - until I find some actual evidence otherwise, logic says it's gonna spike insulin just as much as any other fast carb.

So what carbs do you like best for that shake? I've been doing something very similar and experimenting with carbs. Dex/Malto was good and I was hungry much sooner after my workout and the dex/waxy gave me a more gradual hunger. Other than that they seem similar. I'm thinking about maybe doing dextrose and sucrose.
  18. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

I use dex/malto because they are cheap and effective. For some reason, a mix of different carbs actually promotes more carb oxidation (more carbs are burned for fuel) faster than one kind of carb.

Using Sucrose is alright, but don't use a majority of it. About 30% at most, as too much fructose (which makes up half of sucrose) will slow the digestion of your intra-workout shake too much. As I'm sure you know, fructose can only be metabolized in the liver, so while having some fructose to help your liver out can be good, too much will impede your muscles from getting the nourishment they want while you lift.

So, a 70dex/30sucrose would be good, or even 2/3dex, 1/3suc would work to make measuring easier. That would make about 15% of you intra-workout carbs fructose.

***NOW @ NP***
  19. Banned

im hearing that WMS is king of pre/post carbs bc its soo heavy it pulls all the other supps into play... superhuman radio
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I use dex/malto because they are cheap and effective. For some reason, a mix of different carbs actually promotes more carb oxidation (more carbs are burned for fuel) faster than one kind of carb.

Using Sucrose is alright, but don't use a majority of it. About 30% at most, as too much fructose (which makes up half of sucrose) will slow the digestion of your intra-workout shake too much. As I'm sure you know, fructose can only be metabolized in the liver, so while having some fructose to help your liver out can be good, too much will impede your muscles from getting the nourishment they want while you lift.

So, a 70dex/30sucrose would be good, or even 2/3dex, 1/3suc would work to make measuring easier. That would make about 15% of you intra-workout carbs fructose.
    I didn't know sucrose has fructose in it. I always thought dextrose was corn sugar and sucrose was table sugar. Confusing. Thanks for clearing that up resolve.
  21. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

No prob man.

sucrose is table sugar. But it is technically a disaccharide (two sugar molecules bound together); one of those sugar molecules is dextrose and the other is fructose.

Dextrose is corn sugar and is also known as r-glucose. It is one of the simplest sugars available. Your body ultimately converts all forms of carbohydrates and sugar into dex.

***NOW @ NP***
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  157 lbs.

I read a study today saying that your body is in need of protien the most during and immediatly after exercise. Not sure if this relates to carbs too though.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 11:50 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 04:39 PM
  4. Refined Carbs Leads to Fat not total carbs
    By ironviking in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:08 AM