Ratio of carbs to protein to fat for an athlete

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys.. Ive been trying to put together a real good nutrition program for this month when im home from college. Im 225 pounds and trying to get to about 235 but cut some body fat. Im still recovering from a hamstring injury and havent done any cardio for a while. I was just wondering what the best carb to protein to fat ratio is for training for football and keeping body fat low. I need to consume about 4500 cals a day to maintain my wieght. What is a good ratio for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before bed. Thanks for all the help guys..

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
geez....gain 10 lbs and cut fat at 4500 cals a day? any gear?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i have a hard time keeping at 225 with only 4500 cals.... But maybe an epi pulse later...thats a whole nother thread tho. My bad tho on the wording. I didnt mean to say 235 by the end of the month, but by may. Just wana know a good food ratio...

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
i think you're in a funny place then. I've managed to cut about 5% BF over a 3 month period going about 60-35-5. but that's running anywhere from 2100 to 2300 cals a day. my strength has gone up or stayed the same throughout. I couldn't imagine having to eat 4500 cals a day everyday. I ran a clean bulk last year and went from 205 to 230 in 3 months and i only ran between 3200 and 3600 cals a day and those 3600 cal days got old after a while. you're prob pretty young though. i'm getting up there so my metabolism is alot different than yours. For me the only thing that hasworked in cutting fat is low/no carb, high fat, protein. I eat 6 times a day and don't have any carbs (except for the sugars from cottege cheese) until my 18th meal. then i carb up on oatmeal and sweet potatos. sounds like you could eat almost anything and not gain fat so start slamming clean protein and fats from almonds (18 to 24) with every meal, or PB (3-4 tsp) with everymeal.the key is get good fats in every meal. i have bags of almonds stashed all over the place, like a squirrel. hell, i even throw them in my pockets when the wife drags me out shopping. it takes some time to figure out what works for you, but at your age your margin of error is huge.

as far gaining mass, try a 5-5-5 program for a month after you get a diet your comfortable with.then reevaluate.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah im only 19..right now i dont have a ton of fat at all in my diet..its about 500 grams of carbs, 380 grams of protein and maybe 40 grams of fat a day.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yeah im only 19..right now i dont have a ton of fat at all in my diet..its about 500 grams of carbs, 380 grams of protein and maybe 40 grams of fat a day.
Wow. 40g of fat isn't anything lol.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
seriously cut the carbs and shoot for 100-130 grams of fat a day....see what happenes.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
Dude if your in football focus of bulking up as much as you can. Now im not saying to eat at McDonalds...but increase your carb ratio and try to blow up, as long as your lifting is intense, you wont get fat. You're going to need at least an extra 8 lbs before the start of next season, due to the fact you'll be running and stuff....i take in about 60 grams of carbs and 40 grams of protein per meal, i dont worry about fat because i eat mostly rice, oatmeal, chicken and lean beef....

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i really dont lose weight when i hit camp cuz i run year round so my body isnt shocked. How should i increase my fat calroies though? like what exactly should i eat? I still wana cut fat and all... As for the eight pounds....i kinda wana get to like 232 and lose about 3 or four pounds of fat so thats gonna be a tall task but im gonna take it slow. Ive been gaining slowing so far.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
i really dont lose weight when i hit camp cuz i run year round so my body isnt shocked. How should i increase my fat calroies though? like what exactly should i eat? I still wana cut fat and all... As for the eight pounds....i kinda wana get to like 232 and lose about 3 or four pounds of fat so thats gonna be a tall task but im gonna take it slow. Ive been gaining slowing so far.

I jumped about 20 lbs summer to christmas last year on a high carb high protein diet combined with the first time i ever used creatine.... 170-190 i have since stopped using creatine to see if i maintained the weight. Now im 215 and about to go back on creatine to bulk up again....for fat....try and have a PB sandwich twice a day and just eat alot of meat and carbs....when i jumped that much i ate 5-6 meals a day. I was in college so it was easy i had down time. Oatmeal Eggs (whole) , rice, chicken, beef......as for cramping....if ur body fat content is too low some people start to cramp easier......

dont be afraid of creatine....studies have shown that its beneficial to atheletes it doesnt dehydrate them (cramps)

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
where are u at bodyfat wise with putting on that much weight? I wana get down to ten.

dbgonzo24

dbgonzo24

Awards
hey, i am a DIII football player and its always been hard for me to gain weight. But over the summer i was coming off shoulder surgery and just ate whatever i could. I had PB&J at least twice a day and ate as much eggs, meats, and carbs as i could and also drank a protein shake before sleep. I didnt worry about fat or anything cuz i worked in the heat all day, then lifted and ran in the evening. I jumped from 157 to 170 when i weighed in at camp. Even with the weight jump i still ran a 4.49 and if ur worried about cramping i drink pedyalite before games and at halftime to prevent it.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
good fats = Almonds, natural PB, Avocado...everyday...all day. of course there are more but there is the big 3.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
hey, i am a DIII football player and its always been hard for me to gain weight. But over the summer i was coming off shoulder surgery and just ate whatever i could. I had PB&J at least twice a day and ate as much eggs, meats, and carbs as i could and also drank a protein shake before sleep. I didnt worry about fat or anything cuz i worked in the heat all day, then lifted and ran in the evening. I jumped from 157 to 170 when i weighed in at camp. Even with the weight jump i still ran a 4.49 and if ur worried about cramping i drink pedyalite before games and at halftime to prevent it.

exactly....anytime you are going to be doing alot of intense training while ur still in school u need to just eat eat eat and as long as ur still training hard.....

as to the previous qustion about body fat, i believe i was at 11....the lowest i have gotten to is around 10... im probably around a 12 now....i dont have chisseled abs but i still have some definition....and i dont train them really until summer....If your playing ball u dont need to worry about body fat....worry about keeping your speed, do agilities after you lift

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
i used to eat to put on weight and i really wasnt happy with how i felt or looked. I dont have any problem at all putting on weight if i wanted to. I just wana put on some good weight and not fat. I wana do my agility training, intense lifting and running and still eat perfect. If i step up the fat intake though that will lower my body fat? That just seems counter intuitive even though im sure it could make sense. I made a conscous effort today to eat unsalted peanuts with my meals and ill be buying PB and some other kinds of nuts soon.

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
If i step up the fat intake though that will lower my body fat? .
exactly...now you have to reduce carb intake as well, but as others have said youre active and young so it might not matter too much. remember you originally stated you wanted to gain 10 pounds and lose body fat. honostly a nearly impossible task but a 19 yr old football player could probably pull it off. combining the right foods at the right time in the right quantities is the best anabolic supplment you can take hands down..no prohormone , test booster, supplement...etc can match it. now what I consider real geal? that's another story.

you must unlearn all that you have learned..
- yoda

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah this is all very true. Ive just started to get serious about my diet and hopefully ity will pay off. there arent a whole lot of other 19 year olds counting calories and grams of stuff in their diets. Check out my log on the bottom of my sig..im gonna post my diet and you guys can hopefully help me out with what to change and all

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
with you running and doing agilities i doubt you'll put on any body fat.. im 21 and i dont run more then once a week and i dont put on body fat unless i eat really really crappy....like McDonalds....but your good fats...PB, olive oil, etc will not make you fat