1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.53%

MRE's

Opinions? Facts?

Thinking about buying a case for meals. I know when i was in to corps they had everything i needed for a full days work (We ate 3 a day) but i was moving a lot more and burning alot more than what i do now.

Any thoughts or XP with them?

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.6%

I don't know when you last ate an MRE, but I've been in and out of the Army/Guard for the past 14 years, and the taste and selection has gotten exponentially better the last five years or so. They now have nutritional info printed on the cardboard sleeves over the foil packets.

They continue to be high in sodium.

If you can score some for free, by all means take them. The current market value on a case of MREs will blow your mind, and IMHO is not worth it. If I am going hiking or camping, I put together my own food supply, I would not pay the outrageous prices being charged nowadays for the convenience of the MRE.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.06%

Expensive...loaded with sodium. They are highly fortified. Be sure to eat a lot of fiber or take a supplement. They are designed to make you less than regular. Dont want to get the ****s on the battlefield.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.68%

absolutely not...far better alternatives than dining at Mr. E's.... hell get some Myoplex meal replacement packets...that'd be a better choice than MREs...that is unless you want the surprise candy...haha j.k..MRE's are alright for the field when you're on the go and you need somethin to snack on real quick...but to eat them as a meal...think again...like they said above loaded with sodium and a good majority of them are loaded with fat...mind you they are also packed with carbs and protein (some of them)...but like I said def. not your best choice imo
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

+1 for exploring other choices. They will take a beating and will last in pretty much any situation, but if you don't need that durability in your packed meals, opt for something else. The sodium content wasn't really what got to me... just the makeup of the meals aren't the healthiest. Taste wise, I never had an MRE that I couldn't at least somewhat enjoy (yes, even the omelette), but they just aren't healthy choices. Like the others mentioned, some random ones pack M&M's or Skittles. Suprise suprise.

Beer Jerky, dried fruit and nuts mixed together makes for a portable great meal that can make it through some good hiking or whatnot.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    (yes, even the omelette)
    Not the omelet o' doom!
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.82%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Expensive, HIGH in sodium, zero fiber, massive amounts of calories per meals. Unless you are "in the field" it's too much per meal. They were not designed for muscle building, but sustainment under duress.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.53%

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Expensive, HIGH in sodium, zero fiber, massive amounts of calories per meals. Unless you are "in the field" it's too much per meal. They were not designed for muscle building, but sustainment under duress.
    no no not for muscle building lol

I just like em, and figured im not doing a cut or anything serious right now given finacial and school issues if i could find a cheap box from my buddies in the corps... Why not? just seeing what you guys thought

Thanks for the info!
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.82%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Then save them for emergencies. When I was in OIF 1 I was eating 4 a day and losing weight. However, my body was at full speed all day every day. 1 MRE is the daily value of the average person. Not good for cutting. There are a lot of cals in those for a reason. the winter MRE's are way worse. 3-5 k of cals a meal vs 2-2.5k a meal.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Then save them for emergencies. When I was in OIF 1 I was eating 4 a day and losing weight. However, my body was at full speed all day every day. 1 MRE is the daily value of the average person. Not good for cutting. There are a lot of cals in those for a reason. the winter MRE's are way worse. 3-5 k of cals a meal vs 2-2.5k a meal.
    Wow I did not know it was that high. One item inside a few of them is the milkshake, such as a strawberry milkshake. The thing sports 500+ calories on the label, with something like 80g sugar. And it's just the dessert!

Devildog, I have to agree. I do like them as well. Maybe its just because I'm a horrible cook (and the fact that I love the convenience). They really are impressive though, taste wise, for a meal that can be taken anywhere.