Rate this Post Workout shake, and post yours.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Alright so I tried to cover all my bases with this post workout shake today. I usually bring a scoop and a half of whey, some creatine, and some fruit for after my workout. Today I put 1 scoop of chocolate ATW whey, 1/2 scoop of cinnamon bun ATW whey, 5 grams creatine, 5 grams BCAA powder, cinnamon and green tea extract(took powder from one capsule) for antioxidants, and a crushed up half sport vitamin in my shaker bottle, added two cups of water and drank it. Wasn't half bad. Followed that up with a half cup of raisins and another 2 cups of water while leaving the gym. I took this right after I finished stretching down. Is there anyway I could optimize this any more?

About an hour and a half later I plan on eating a solid meal.

What's your favorite PWO shake and why?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I personally wouldn't eat fruit after a workout. Mainly because of the high fructose content but if you like doing it then that's fine.

I'm currently doing:

During and after: 1 scoop Purple Wraath
20g WMS
20g Dextrose

About an hour after workout: 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
2 tbsp natty PB
1 scoop whey
some egg whites
20g Maltodextrin
1/2 cup oats
140g blueberries

I'm really liking this so far.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
Not bad, but i would suggest waiting on your protien shake, and taking you carbs first, My protocal is very simple yet effective. I drink my bcaas about 1 set prior to completing my workout. I take 50 g waxy maize w/ 5 grams of creatine and 5 g of glutamine. and then wait to drink my protien 20 minutes later. the insulin spike from the carbs will prime your body for better upload of the protien, therefor they should be taken seperatly. ALso, peotien uplaods better into the muscle where there is less blood saturation.

tattoopierced1

right now I am using 1% chocolate milk (about 16-20oz) with 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I personally wouldn't eat fruit after a workout. Mainly because of the high fructose content but if you like doing it then that's fine.
I was doing it before last week. I conducted some further research and had a change of heart about the whole, fruit after WO thing. Picked up some WMS from NP and plan on using that starting on Monday. Scarfing down Airheads until then yo!

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Hmm what's the argument on fructose after a workout? I figured that I could spike insulin with fruit and I'd be fine.

Oh and as for the carbs first, protein after, that sounds pretty legit, except I don't know how I'd handle straight BCAAs in water, my stuff tastes like fromunda cheese or something.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
Im just going to go ahead and say I think youre trying too hard here. There is no need to crush up vitamins to put in a post workout shake... The anti-ox's and bcaa's, probably not needed. Just get all that other stuff throughout the day and you will be just as well off. Protein powder, some carbs, and a few grams of creatine, youll be fine. The rest of your daily intake of food and vitamins will take care of the rest. Some of the stuff on theses boards is a bit overkill and people take it way too serious. We all need to relax a little and just stick to the basics.

bigcal01

Awards
During:
30g Dex/Malto
25g BCAA
Sea Salt

5g glycine
60g Malto/Dex
5g Leucine

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Im just going to go ahead and say I think youre trying too hard here. There is no need to crush up vitamins to put in a post workout shake... The anti-ox's and bcaa's, probably not needed. Just get all that other stuff throughout the day and you will be just as well off. Protein powder, some carbs, and a few grams of creatine, youll be fine. The rest of your daily intake of food and vitamins will take care of the rest. Some of the stuff on theses boards is a bit overkill and people take it way too serious. We all need to relax a little and just stick to the basics.
:thumbsup:

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
raisins are great for post workout they digest quickly, pretty sure they give a fairly nice insulin spike, bananas are fine too, i would avoid any other fruit though postworkout

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
intra:
25g BCAA

post w/o:
46g isolate protein
waxymayse
10g glycine
20g glutamine

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
raisins are great for post workout they digest quickly, pretty sure they give a fairly nice insulin spike, bananas are fine too, i would avoid any other fruit though postworkout
Yeah I read they are the highest two fruits on the glycemic index, in glucose to fructose ratio.

ACSlayer

Awards
They are a nice alkaline food as well.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
1 scoop of whey in 20 oz's of milk...sometimes I also have 1/2 up of cooked oats with it as well, depends on my pre work out meal

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alright so I tried to cover all my bases with this post workout shake today. I usually bring a scoop and a half of whey, some creatine, and some fruit for after my workout. Today I put 1 scoop of chocolate ATW whey, 1/2 scoop of cinnamon bun ATW whey, 5 grams creatine, 5 grams BCAA powder, cinnamon and green tea extract(took powder from one capsule) for antioxidants, and a crushed up half sport vitamin in my shaker bottle, added two cups of water and drank it. Wasn't half bad. Followed that up with a half cup of raisins and another 2 cups of water while leaving the gym. I took this right after I finished stretching down. Is there anyway I could optimize this any more?

About an hour and a half later I plan on eating a solid meal.

What's your favorite PWO shake and why?
I don't see the point in crusihing up a vitamin in a shaker bottle

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
8g carbs+25g protein before and during.

Another 8g carbs+25g protein after.

It's interesting how the last Glutamine study I read(dunno if they did any new ones) was IV glutamine and nothing oral whatsoever, 100% IV.

But if someone is seeing results, that's good, even if it's from "taking the product" (Placebo) and not actually the product itself.(Glutamine and it's supposed 'effects".

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hmm what's the argument on fructose after a workout? I figured that I could spike insulin with fruit and I'd be fine.

Oh and as for the carbs first, protein after, that sounds pretty legit, except I don't know how I'd handle straight BCAAs in water, my stuff tastes like fromunda cheese or something.

Fructose doesn't illicit an insulin response in the body it also doesn't replenish muscle glycogen.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
from whole foods where possible is a favourite:

CHO

20g oats ground fine
30g ripe banana
5g honey
20g froz. blueberries or similar

PRO

15g from eggs (2)
30g whey
10g Casein

FAT

12g from eggs

====================================

Throw in oats to a blender and blend to fine powder, then throw in the rest. Sometimes add in a little Greek Yoghurt, or skim milk.

Add to thermos to drink after shower and change at the gym

....and it tastes real good.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
from whole foods where possible is a favourite:

CHO

20g oats ground fine
30g ripe banana
5g honey
20g froz. blueberries or similar

PRO

15g from eggs (2)
30g whey
10g Casein

FAT

12g from eggs

====================================

Throw in oats to a blender and blend to fine powder, then throw in the rest. Sometimes add in a little Greek Yoghurt, or skim milk.

Add to thermos to drink after shower and change at the gym

....and it tastes real good.
Wow, I want to kill you now....no, seriously.

My free meal is tomorrow, SERENITY NOW!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Wrestling season
Immediatly after workout-
90g WMS
10g Creatine
200mcg Chromium
10mg Vanadyl

15-20 minutes later-