Oatmeal Question

Rah22491

Awards
I currently eat the steel cut oats you cook on the stove. But im going to college next year and was going to eat quaker quik oats but have heard you should stay away from them? thoughts

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Seems as though the quick or instant oats won't keep your blood sugar stablized as well as the steel cut or 100% rolled oats. The more stable your blood sugar throughout the day is, the better chance you have at building muscle and fat burning; provided that your diet is on point.

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
you can get the original quaker oats, they cook in about the same amount of time in the microwave. i usally throw one cup of it in a bowl and pour some milk in and cook it for 3.5 minutes. i think the instant taste like crap

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
you can get the original quaker oats, they cook in about the same amount of time in the microwave. i usally throw one cup of it in a bowl and pour some milk in and cook it for 3.5 minutes. i think the instant taste like crap
Thats what I do. Throw in a TBSP of natty pb and some protein. Full meal in less than 5 min.

Rah22491

Awards
I didnt mean the instant my bad i went the microwave kind for like 3-5 min. Is this strait to eat? I really wont have access to a stove so it looks like this is my best option next to ezekial cereal which is out the ass expensive

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
there's two types of the quaker oats that come in that big container. one is original and the oats are well.. oats, and then there is another kind that is instant. the only difference between the two is the texture as the instant is grainier, and shredded. The only difference between your steel oats and quaker is the quaker oats are rolled, so they can be cooked faster. just as good tho!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If you still want to eat the steel cut oats, you can prepare them in the microwave by letting the soak over night or you can get yourself a small rice cooker and make them in there.

Rah22491

Awards
Thats a good idea pmiller i didnt know you could soak them over night. where can you get rice cookers and how much are they?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats a good idea pmiller i didnt know you could soak them over night. where can you get rice cookers and how much are they?
Walmart etc, for $40. I would usually pour boiling water and just soak them overnight. Then you just microwave them the next morning, pretty quick and painless. Also you're really splitting hairs for steelcut vs. old-fashioned oats IMO. You're going to be active, if it's too big of an inconvenience just do what you can.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
Walmart, bed bath and beyond, internet (amazon), kmart, sears, lots of places bro and if you want a sick one get a "tiger" rice cooker, i love my rice!!!!

EDIT: damn you beat me!!!!!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Walmart, bed bath and beyond, internet (amazon), kmart, sears, lots of places bro and if you want a sick one get a "tiger" rice cooker, i love my rice!!!!

EDIT: damn you beat me!!!!!
As much as I hate to say it, Wal-Mart might very well be the cheapest option! Just try not to get trampled when you are making your way over there!

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
As much as I hate to say it, Wal-Mart might very well be the cheapest option! Just try not to get trampled when you are making your way over there!
LOL, A black man killed on Black Friday. :icon_lol:

3dmuscle9122

Awards
my take

I hate cooked oatmeal, too slimey for me. I just find a knock off brand of Quaker oats that taste good and a lot cheaper. What I do is mix my whey protein, Almonds and Oats into a bowl then add Hot tap water and enjoy. Way Faster and Taste Like Candy!

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
+1 on adding the whey protein. I typically try to add a scoop of vanilla in with my oats...tastes good and smells good to boot.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
I agree big time with adding whey protein to my oatmeal. (after it has cooled for a few minutes)

The oats you are looking for are called "old fashioned" oatmeal. Those are the regular rolled oats. They take 5 minutes to cook on the stovetop, or 5 minutes on half power in the microwave.

The order of preference for oats is this:

Steel Cut > Old Fashioned > Quick Oats > Instant

The cooking time are (respectively):

20 minutes > 5 minutes > 1 or 2 minutes > add hot water.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
quaker also steams the instant oats, allowing it took cook faster. So it's steamed and also chopped smaller.

i think the fact you're not eating flapjacks, and sugary cereals, or god forbid a bearclaw during college is already remarkable.

even with instant oatmeal with sugar added your roommates are going to think you are nuts.

so you're already ahead of the game...

homesliceyea

Awards
Actually you guys are wrong, there are 3 types of quaker oats: old fashioned, quick cook, and instant. Instant is the only one you should stay away from, as it is very very high GI. Quick cook is the same as old fashioned but they are shredded. If you're going to blend the old fashioned ones, you're making them just as high GI as the quick cook ones.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually you guys are wrong, there are 3 types of quaker oats: old fashioned, quick cook, and instant. Instant is the only one you should stay away from, as it is very very high GI. Quick cook is the same as old fashioned but they are shredded. If you're going to blend the old fashioned ones, you're making them just as high GI as the quick cook ones.
Interesting tidbit and contrary to your common-sense answer, grinding oats doesnt raise their GI. See http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/63573-does-blending-oats.html

darkstar7

darkstar7

Awards
idk about other colleges but my college offers very little nutritional meals at the dining hall so make sure you bring some of your own stuff :hot:

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I started my Havoc cycle and want to stick to good complex carbs.....best I am thinking is gonna be oatmeal. I guess after a few weeks I will be sick of it but I figure I can squeeze in about 200 - 250 grams of carbs from them a day.

Plus they aren't expensive. Just buy those big jugs. lol

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started my Havoc cycle and want to stick to good complex carbs.....best I am thinking is gonna be oatmeal. I guess after a few weeks I will be sick of it but I figure I can squeeze in about 200 - 250 grams of carbs from them a day.

Im not sure what your macros look like, but I love coconut oil for bulking too. They're Medium chain triglycerides - that have been shown to boost metabolism, thyroid function, and sat. fats are positively linked w/ test levels. Nice and dense too, so if you won't feel stuffed :thumbsup: We're getting a 20oz container that will be even more economical next week.

Rah22491

Awards
Thanks for all the info guys. Lots of interesting stuff

3dmuscle9122

Awards
I guess after a few weeks I will be sick of it but I figure I can squeeze in about 200 - 250 grams of carbs from them a day.

If you get sick of oatmeal, there's always shredded wheat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mindgame Nutrition / Health 27
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0