Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Red meat suggestions?

Whats up guys.

I've lately been trying to eat some more red meat, but went to the grossery stores and prices are just not even close. For what i pay for like 5lbs of chicken i can barely buy one steak.

So i checked out burgers, and damn, those just seem horrible! Here are the nutritional facts for them: Calories in Griller Packs - 100% Hamburger Patties - Nutrition Facts

32g of total fat, 13 of those being saturated. How could I go on a lean bulk with that?

Ground beef was quite expensive as well and those were pretty much all the options I had. Does anyone have suggestions as where to get some of the red meat intake to help build muscle?

Thanks.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

Beef fat is fine; don't worry about it.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.73%

Its not just the fat though, its like 380 calories for 1 patty. I've been trying a lower carb diet and so I'd need like 3 or 4 of those to make a meal.

And my goal calories right now is about 3750 so I don't know how it would figure out for me.

Would it be fine to eat those burguers on a cut too, for instance? Any suggestions?

And thanks for the input too.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.94%

I eat 4,000+ calories a day and a pound of beef a day is a part of that.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.09%

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    I eat 4,000+ calories a day and a pound of beef a day is a part of that.
    haha pics?

93% lean 7% fat ground beef is pricier, but still within reason. I've seen it at every supermarket except for the really discount places like grocery outlet and savemart. I get it for around $4.99 / lb at trader joe's and it's good for a day's worth of meat if not more. Also at trader joe's they have buffalo burgers, $5 for 4 of them. each burger = 46 grams of protein with I think 12 grams of fat. Foreman grill cooks these up nicely. Make sure to put some worcestershire and garlic on it as it improves the taste considerably. buffalo tastes just like beef, but nuttier, so some say better.

I have a kitchenaid mixer with a meat grinder attachment, yes expensive, but I can buy cheap cuts of meat like London broil, eye of round, top/bottom round, all of which are lean, and then grind them myself. if you happen to have one of those mixers, you can get an attachment for $40 to do that.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

There are methods out there that strip fatty ground beef of their fat content. It involves hot water rinsing, and its actually quite effective. You can easily turn 75 or 80% lean into 90% lean.

Here's a website with some descriptions:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/re...groundbeef.htm
  7. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.28%

Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post
    haha pics?

93% lean 7% fat ground beef is pricier, but still within reason. I've seen it at every supermarket except for the really discount places like grocery outlet and savemart. I get it for around $4.99 / lb at trader joe's and it's good for a day's worth of meat if not more. Also at trader joe's they have buffalo burgers, $5 for 4 of them. each burger = 46 grams of protein with I think 12 grams of fat. Foreman grill cooks these up nicely. Make sure to put some worcestershire and garlic on it as it improves the taste considerably. buffalo tastes just like beef, but nuttier, so some say better.

I have a kitchenaid mixer with a meat grinder attachment, yes expensive, but I can buy cheap cuts of meat like London broil, eye of round, top/bottom round, all of which are lean, and then grind them myself. if you happen to have one of those mixers, you can get an attachment for $40 to do that.
    I eat the 96/4 and it is about 4.99 per lb as well. The fat content in it is minimal, especially after browning or grilling. It also contains no carbs. Keep in mind for every gram of fat you eat that is 9 cals. If something has 32g of fat, then that is 288 calories lol.

The fat is most certainly not good for you, while on the other hand, the saturated fat in red meat raises your test levels, but 32g is just too much for me.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.28%

Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    There are methods out there that strip fatty ground beef of their fat content. It involves hot water rinsing, and its actually quite effective. You can easily turn 75 or 80% lean into 90% lean.

Here's a website with some descriptions:
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/re...groundbeef.htm
    The problem with this, is that by the time you get to the actual beef, you have stripped 10% of the total weight. While a good idea for someone on a budget, you don't get the amount that you would normally get for lean beef. I bet by weight it is not that big of a price difference. Interesting read though none the less.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.28%

Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post

Like, 30 people have told me to buy this thing in the last month. Problem is, myself nor my GF bakes anything really, except for meat. I would love to have a grinder though. Why is this thing the "end all be all" for kitchen appliances? hahhaaa!
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.78%

I friend of mine raises a few head of cattle a year, they are 100% grass fed. I usually buy a half of beef from him its $1.89 per pound for everything(all cuts of steak, bunch of roast, bunch of ground). Check at your local butcher, they can usually hook ya up with a good price on bulk beef. I bought a upright deep freeze and just keep a years supply in the basement.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic32 View Post
    I friend of mine raises a few head of cattle a year, they are 100% grass fed. I usually buy a half of beef from him its $1.89 per pound for everything(all cuts of steak, bunch of roast, bunch of ground). Check at your local butcher, they can usually hook ya up with a good price on bulk beef. I bought a upright deep freeze and just keep a years supply in the basement.
    That's the good stuff right there. If you can find something local, you can eat meat 5 times a day with money to spare *drools*
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.78%

If nothing else contact a local farmer. You and a friend go in halves and buy a cow. Take it to the butcher and pay for processing, you will save a bunch. I usually drop around 900-1000 bucks for half a cow, but we are talking about 500 pounds of beef.............
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.28%

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic32 View Post
    If nothing else contact a local farmer. You and a friend go in halves and buy a cow. Take it to the butcher and pay for processing, you will save a bunch. I usually drop around 900-1000 bucks for half a cow, but we are talking about 500 pounds of beef.............
    WHERES THE BEEF!
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.69%

Well the thing with saturated fat on a low carb cyclic diet is so far and to my knowledge it has very little if any physical effect on the body the way it would on a normal diet.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.73%

I'll def do the cutting fat from the burguers.

I ended up going to the store and picking up the bulk burguers, will try that leaning up thing and then just grill it on the good ol' George.

I also got me some of the roast meat, about 9 bucks for 2-3 lbs. Sliced it up into smaller steak pieces of meat. Got about 12 nice pieces. So we'll see how these go this time.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.28%

Quote Originally Posted by bla55 View Post
    I'll def do the cutting fat from the burguers.

I ended up going to the store and picking up the bulk burguers, will try that leaning up thing and then just grill it on the good ol' George.

I also got me some of the roast meat, about 9 bucks for 2-3 lbs. Sliced it up into smaller steak pieces of meat. Got about 12 nice pieces. So we'll see how these go this time.
    Grilling them on the G Foreman and then smashing them into oblivion with paper towels does the trick!
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Roast beef.

Similar Forum Threads

1. the fat in red meat
    By x_danny_x in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10