critique my college diet

mdbaker

Awards
i am a college student 19 yrs old about 196 lbs 17-18 percent body fat. im bulking throughout the winter before my cut begins in march i wanted some advice on how to diet around my classes. this is what i am currently doing now.

830 am - 20 g whey proten, 1 banana

9:00 am - class

10:30 am - 1 can tuna 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 light yogurt

12-2 pm - class

2:15 - 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup of brown rice or 1 cup of broccoli

5:00 - 8 oz chicken breast or 8 oz. ground beef, potatoes or brown rice

8:00 - preworkout - 20 g whey protein, 1 banana

9:30 - postworkout - 40 g whey protein, 12 saltines with jelly

bedtime (usually 12 am) - 30 g casein protein.

on the days i work out in the morning i have a cytogainer shake around 9 pm or so. i do this mostly because i dont know what to eat around that time. if you have any whole food ideas for 8 or 9 pm let me know. any help would be greatly appreciated

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Diet looks okay. I would take in more protein for each shake you are drinking though. What is the caloric value of all this, and what does it break down into as far as macros go? How many calories are required for your maintenance? Is the bulk of your diet comprised of whole foods? Are you eating enough carbs?

All of those above factors will answer your questions. Good call on the casein protein though. I would recommend a Waxy Maize Starch supplement in place of the saltines, but that is my opinion.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What exactly is "casein protein"?
A protein that takes a longer time for your body to digest. The idea is to take it before bed, so that your muscles are fed for the entire time you sleep. Up to 8 hours I believe. It has it's advantages for that purpose, simply because whey protein is digested rather quickly, maybe 30 minutes or so.

If you really need any more info than that, just Google it. :p

connelly22

Awards
Haha, i was actually meaning more like what kind of food it is found in. My question wasnt very clear, but thanks anyways, ill just google and see what all there is

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, but that's a pretty terrible bulking diet. Actually that diet sucks, how many calories is that? Like 2500?

You also have whey too much whey protein. You should be taking 1 shake a day max IMO. There simply isn't a need for more if your diet is planned well.

Reevaluate with bigger foods! More rice, more potatoes, more oats, more beef, less whey.

Ditch the cyto-gainer!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sorry, but that's a pretty terrible bulking diet. Actually that diet sucks, how many calories is that? Like 2500?

You also have whey too much whey protein. You should be taking 1 shake a day max IMO. There simply isn't a need for more if your diet is planned well.

Reevaluate with bigger foods! More rice, more potatoes, more oats, more beef, less whey.

Ditch the cyto-gainer!
There is certainly more than one opportunistic time during the day to consume whey protein. Saying that 1 shake a day is the max is a very opinionated statement. Being in college, this guy may not be able to sit down and have a meal, and the shake is his best option at the time.

Never replace whole food with shakes, but if it's your only option, then have at it. It is better than nothing at all.

Also, I should kick myself for saying that this diet looks okay lmao. I didn't even pay attn to the fact that you are eating a banana and crackers for pre and post WO meals. Poor show!

mdbaker

Awards
well do you have any suggestions. remember money is tight and as much as i'd love to take a waxymaize supplement i just cant afford it. i do feel like im taking too many shakes but sometimes i just dont have the time to cook and eat a meal

dommer

Banned
Awards
that looks like a cutting diet to me where is the peanut butter

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
that looks like a cutting diet to me where is the peanut butter
Yeah. Peanut butter is really sort of inexpensive, but waxy maize costs only about $12.50 or so, and it supposedly lasts forever. A good alternative could be Gatorade powder for post workout.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a meal plan?

I'm in college too so not many excuses will fly ;)

mdbaker

Awards
no i do not have a meal plan i cook all my foods. im just new to this and needed some suggestions im still feeling my way around how to maximize my gains. as for peanut butter i am allergic so that sucks. so what do you guys suggest more beef more meals larger portions? things like that? i also dont think im getting enough carbs so i'll work on that.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
no i do not have a meal plan i cook all my foods. im just new to this and needed some suggestions im still feeling my way around how to maximize my gains. as for peanut butter i am allergic so that sucks. so what do you guys suggest more beef more meals larger portions? things like that? i also dont think im getting enough carbs so i'll work on that.
That really sucks that you are allergic to peanuts. They are so beneficial. Are you allergic to all nuts, or just peanuts?

dommer

Banned
Awards
load up on chicken you can get 6lbs at bj's or costco for like $16 buy some canned green beans a ton of ground beef and turkey is good to

brown rice :thumbsup:
whole wheat bread :thumbsup:
tuna:thumbsup:
eggs:thumbsup:

that sucks i love peanutbutter, almond butter and cashew butter

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
maddddddddddd ground turkey pick up the 80/20 or the fat free whatevaa you feel like.

BJ's or costco or like super walmart is the best place to go. you can get that like pre packaged pre cooked chicken from purdue thats my personal fav.

or like straight cans of tuna with a little hot sauce, jalepenos, maybe light mayo on wheat bread or wraps cant beat it

lamboruns

Awards
whoel chicken is 89-99 cents a lb. throw it in a Oven Bag with some italian dressing..bake on 350 for 20 mins per pound...cool and take of bone for tons of cheap protien. good with everything

SNRGNutrition

SNRGNutrition

Awards
Increase your healthy fats to increase total caloric intake. Don't indulge in them, maybe a few TBSP of olive or canola oil. I would increase the protein of the shakes to 30-40g shakes, but just depends if you are budgeting the shakes as well. Pick up some canned Salmon (the low fat kind), throw some olive or canola oil with some lemon pepper and boom, 40g protein and 14g healthy fats. It's a quick and easy meal. Increase your carb intake as well. You might want to increase consumption of oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.. Blend the oatmeal into a powder and toss it with your protein shakes. Just a few ideas there.

Lets Pimp your current diet:
Meal 1: 40g Whey, 1 cup oats, 1/2 banana, 1 tsp Olive oil....blend all together
Meal 2: Stays the same
Meal 3: 8oz Chicken Breast, 1 C Brown Rice, 1 C Brocolli, 1 small fruit,
Meal 4: 8oz steak, 1 large potato, 1 C salad, 1/2 C wild rice
Meal 5: Pre-Workout 40g Whey, 1 cup low fat yogurt or oats---need to bump up those complex carbs for steady energy.
Meal 6: Post-Workout 40g Whey, 1 large fruit, 1/2 cup yogurt---need to feed those muscles to start recovery
Meal 7: Stays the same.

So pretty much, protein and carbs have been bumped up, but not increasing budget and time for meal prep by a significant amount. Good luck.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Haha, i was actually meaning more like what kind of food it is found in. My question wasnt very clear, but thanks anyways, ill just google and see what all there is
Cottage cheese.

mdbaker

Awards
thanks a lot for the help that looks like something i can easily do