Carbs in eggs??!?!?

someguy1984

Awards
Wtf...I'm on the CKD diet and i've been eating eggs in the morning. Today, i decided to look at the facts and found that there is 1g of carbs per egg...(sigh) I have 3-4 eggs a day...Plus, 2 tbsp of peanut butter (omega 3) and that has 5g of carbs...Between that and the meat i buy, the carbs add up...I have about 16g of carbs a day...Honestly, i don't know how i can eat 0g of carbs a day...I think 16 is the lowest i can go. Personally, i think peanut butter is healthy and a good fat source. So, i really don't want to rule that out...Hence, 5g of carbs minimum...I also buy the packaged ham/turkey breast meat in the stores. (1g of carbs per slice) I have to buy this, because i don't have time to cook all the time...

Is it ok for me to have these carbs on this diet? From what i understand, your supposed to have 0g of carbs until Friday night, then carb up until Saturday night. (12:00am) I don't carb up...I just eat the same everyday. I get the same amount of carbs each day and from what i've read as long as you eat under 50g of carbs your body will go into keto...So, technically I'm ok?

I still have energy on my workout days, which is why i don't eat more carbs when i lift...I know i'm supposed to restore glycogen levels, but i don't see it necessarily if I'm not feeling bad...You know?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You don't need to get all the way down to zero bro :lol:

Under 30 is fine.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
20-30 is generally fine. Some people can manage higher, in my case I can go 40-50 sometimes and still be well in diet range but I don't make a habit of it. The carb up isn't just about glycogen levels, it has to do with hormonal shifts that positively effect the body in an anabolic way.

someguy1984

Awards
Hmm, really? So, what happens if i don't carb up and continue to have the amount of carbs i do now? Will this be ok? Because i really don't understand what you said. :frustrate lol

someguy1984

Awards
Switch the PB butter to coconut oil :)

People that have done CKD diets could advise you better, but as long as you keep your carbs very low, you will stay in ketosis. Just do your best, I think 15g should be OK.
You can buy cocunut oil at the store, right? lol, i'll add the coconut oil to my protein shake or something. I imagine it will be gross just eating it...(I already do that with extra virgin olive oil) I like that though...It's also really good with almonds. I'm a sick b@stard, lol

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hmm, really? So, what happens if i don't carb up and continue to have the amount of carbs i do now? Will this be ok? Because i really don't understand what you said. :frustrate lol
It's ok for fat loss purposes muscle retention purposes, but for body recomposition diets (CKD), that is a diet where your losing fat and gaining muscle in intervals, carb loading is a part of it.

avenue Red

Awards
stick with what your doing under 20g of carbs a day is good especially since your getting in the habit. Some say carb up on weekends i think thats just for people who really cant handle not eating carbs. if you dont carb up on weekends and continue your diet you will just keep losing more weight. I did it for 6 weeks without carbing up once. Thats the max id suggest tho

and go to walmart or something and buy keto strips and test yourself every so often that will let u know if your in ketosis

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
You are fine with the eggs. Peanut butter is a slippery slope, as it is easy to eat more than you think with it. I'd save the peanut butter until you are more in tune with your body and at what point you are ketogenic. I've done a form of CKD for so long that I actually feel if I'm in or out of ketosis... I can't really explain it, but I know. All the guys above had suitable answers, which is very rare considering the people on this forum. :D You are doing the right thing with making sure you are eating dietary fat, you need it with zero/low carb days. You can read up on it more in Dan Duchaine's OG book Militant Underground Body Opus, or Lyle McDonald's books.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
stick with what your doing under 20g of carbs a day is good especially since your getting in the habit. Some say carb up on weekends i think thats just for people who really cant handle not eating carbs. if you dont carb up on weekends and continue your diet you will just keep losing more weight. I did it for 6 weeks without carbing up once. Thats the max id suggest tho

and go to walmart or something and buy keto strips and test yourself every so often that will let u know if your in ketosis
First, the carb load causes a simultaneous raise in GH, insulin and testosterone levels, at once. GH and insulin usually don't raise in tandem and the combination of these three hormones raising up acts for a very anabolic situation. Not only do positive hormonal effects occur, muscle glycogen restores and allows for heavier weights to be used during the first few workouts.

It's much easier to eat 20 carbs a day for a year straight and deal with the stable energy levels on a day to day basis training and non training than to need to do a circuit style depletion workout and over eat carbs to gain benefits. The carb load is a step towards solving the dilemma of needing to cut fat and build muscle during a diet.

And secondly, ketostix are undependable, if you are eating 20-30 carbs a day your in keto.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
You are fine with the eggs. Peanut butter is a slippery slope, as it is easy to eat more than you think with it. I'd save the peanut butter until you are more in tune with your body and at what point you are ketogenic. I've done a form of CKD for so long that I actually feel if I'm in or out of ketosis... I can't really explain it, but I know. All the guys above had suitable answers, which is very rare considering the people on this forum. :D You are doing the right thing with making sure you are eating dietary fat, you need it with zero/low carb days. You can read up on it more in Dan Duchaine's OG book Militant Underground Body Opus, or Lyle McDonald's books.
Same here, but that's probably because after the first 36-48 hours of feeling fatigue I get that sudden rush of constant energy.

someguy1984

Awards
First, the carb load causes a simultaneous raise in GH, insulin and testosterone levels, at once. GH and insulin usually don't raise in tandem and the combination of these three hormones raising up acts for a very anabolic situation. Not only do positive hormonal effects occur, muscle glycogen restores and allows for heavier weights to be used during the first few workouts.

It's much easier to eat 20 carbs a day for a year straight and deal with the stable energy levels on a day to day basis training and non training than to need to do a circuit style depletion workout and over eat carbs to gain benefits. The carb load is a step towards solving the dilemma of needing to cut fat and build muscle during a diet.

And secondly, ketostix are undependable, if you are eating 20-30 carbs a day your in keto.
So, your saying if i don't carb up, i won't build any muscle? I will just continue to lose body fat and get weaker in the gym? Correct? Also, would this make me lose muscle? (This is all assuming 20g of carbs a day)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
So, your saying if i don't carb up, i won't build any muscle? I will just continue to lose body fat and get weaker in the gym? Correct? Also, would this make me lose muscle? (This is all assuming 20g of carbs a day)
You will lose some muscle on any cutting diet generally. Keto diets cut down how much muscle you do lose. The carb load portion of a keto diet is where your going to be building muscle. The carb load basically increases the potential to gain back lost muscle during the low carb period. Thats why this is generally approached as a recomposition diet rather than a cutting diet.

By recomposition I mean, by example, you could start at 180, end at 175 but have lost 8 pounds of fat and gained back 3 pounds of muscle. A straight keto diet is good for shedding fat while cutting, but if you want to try to build muscle during a cutting cycle you add in the carb loads.

I've been cutting weight and seeing strength gains and definition differences week to week.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23