Uric Acid

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if excess protein consumption (especially whey protein) can cause raised Uric Acid levels. I know certain meats can cause this (high purines I think), but I was wondering if any other things could cause this. Also, what would some sides be besides the development of gout and is there anything that can be done to combat this?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Uric Acid based kidney stones can develop if levels are high enough over a time period. High fructose diets also can contribute to elevation.

In many instances, people have elevated uric acid levels for hereditary reasons. Diet may also be a factor.
Purines are found in high amounts in animal internal organ food products, such as liver. A moderate amount of purine is also contained in beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans, oatmeal, wheat bran and wheat germ.[28]
Examples of high purine sources include: sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef kidneys, brains, meat extracts (e.g Oxo, Bovril), herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, and gravy.
To prevent some potential issues with increased uric acid levels, make sure to keep your hydration status very sufficient.

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
Ive read that celery seed extract could be beneficial in lowering uric acid levels, do you think it would pose much benefit?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Hit me with that Cranberry seed extract! Flushes those kidneys (take it with a full glass of water)

Dietfreak

Awards
Drink plenty of fluids as was mentioned above. 1 gallon/day is adequate.

High sources of purine: sardines, herring, mussels, liver, kidney, goose, venison, meat soups, sweetbreads

Moderate sources: chicken, salmon, crab, veal, mutton, bacon, pork, beef, and ham.