Carb's diff between fruit and oats?

soldier0213

soldier0213

Awards
Got a quick questions.... So if you are staying on a low carb diet (sub 60 is g's per day) is there a diff or advantage from getting carbs from fruits, or lets say Oatmeal. Or are they equal in terms of benefit / detriment? THANKS!!!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Yes there is a difference. Fruits generally contain higher levels of fructose, which while on a low carb diet are more detrimental. Fructose can't raise muscle glycogen levels and can stall you out of ketosis.

soldier0213

soldier0213

Awards
See, thanks, I thought that was the case with the insulin spike, but I wasnt sure.... So its better to get the carbs from "whole" carbs vs fructose based carbs right?

THANKS!!

D

Dietfreak

Awards
Here is the best info I have found on fructose metabolism:

nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/5

I have researched it for days so if you have any questions ask away, I'd be glad to help.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
See, thanks, I thought that was the case with the insulin spike, but I wasnt sure.... So its better to get the carbs from "whole" carbs vs fructose based carbs right?

THANKS!!
Yes, but check the labels on food. Some bread is made with high fructose corn syrup. Yes, you want to avoid fructose based carbs. Even though fruit isn't pure fructose, it's better to get more glucose in any case.

D

Dietfreak

Awards
You can also go to nutrientfinder.com and search based on fructose content.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Like Tom said, fruit is frucose and partially sucrose or glucose, the ratio varies from fruit to fruit. Oats are glucose as far as I know-unless they're some more complex carb. Sucrose, glucose, and fructose are the simple three and all carbs are eventually broken down into glucose in the body.

Sucrose is 50% fructose, 50% glucose. Glucose causes insulin spikes and fructose doesn't. Fructose makes it so that nothing else can be digested until the fructose is so in short- try to eat fruit once a day.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
You WILL NOT get fat eating fruit. Please dont micromanage your diet like this....u will go insane. I eat on a minimum a bowl of grapes and 2 apples per day, and I am leaner at 34 than ever before. I center my fruit around lunch and other carbs are mostly in my PWO shake , if i have any at all.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
It's perfectly within reason that eating too much fruit can make you fat. But what I'm saying is more towards the position of maximizing efficiency of a low carb diet.

ono

ono

Awards
Got a quick questions.... So if you are staying on a low carb diet (sub 60 is g's per day) is there a diff or advantage from getting carbs from fruits, or lets say Oatmeal. Or are they equal in terms of benefit / detriment? THANKS!!!
I don't understand why you would limit the carbs to that extent. That is nuts!lol