Liquid Nutrition VS Solid Foods

deuce747

deuce747

Awards
I read once a while ago (cant find the dang link) that liquid nutrition is much more easily taken up by the body, but they didn't mention by how much IE a % difference of uptake efficiency. My question is how much different are uptake rates? If i can eat X number of calories with a liquid diet how many should i be able to eat with standard foods or vise versa. Thanks guys!

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I thought that a lot of the nutritional values were lost somewhere along the lines with liquid diets...

I've always heard that whole foods are by far the way to go. The only thing beneficial about a liquid diet, that I can think of, is convenience and ease of ingestion. And by that I mean, you can increase your caloric intake a lot easier via liquid because you don't fill up as quickly.

But I personally think whole foods are the way to go....

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I read once a while ago (cant find the dang link) that liquid nutrition is much more easily taken up by the body, but they didn't mention by how much IE a % difference of uptake efficiency. My question is how much different are uptake rates? If i can eat X number of calories with a liquid diet how many should i be able to eat with standard foods or vise versa. Thanks guys!

Thats true. Liquid is easier on the body too digest. It saves the stomach from having too break it down.

With that said, to digest food it takes calories, more calories for solid food than liquid. I cant give you a %, becuase it depends on your metabolism and exactly what kind of food we are talking about. But thats the basics.

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
The only advantage is a faster gastric emptying. Not sure how you'll be able to obtain essential macro and micro nutrients by using liquids but many factors are drawn back if you have a liquid-based diet, including: poor consistent energy stabilization, mood/satiety, and most important- money.

So, a faster gastric emptying means: higher-complexity foods become vastly insulinotrophic which resultS in the unstable energy levels.

If this was true, you'd see more people doing this.
But they don't, because it's bogus.

Whole foods is the way to go bro.

KM

LactoseLou

the thing with liquid is that it makes you get hungry right away.

I think you would have to take some fiber supps to make you fuller.

classic27

The best way to go is whole foods and then maybe some liquids when you do not have time for whole food.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

if theres proper amount of fat, then you shouldnt be getting hungry.

normally with liquid nutrition its obvious you dont want to be on it every meal of every day, it does lack vitamins and minerals that are SPECIFIC TO YOUR PERSONAL needs. thats why a good multi should be warrented along with maybe some potassium and iron (depending on the supp taken)

but it emptys faster then regular food,

predigested aminos, and maltodextrin (as thier main source) and MCTs as their fat (which IMO is a useless fat,but has itsplace, id rather add a scoop of PB or EVOO)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established

If you add some PB or olive oil I guarantee you wont get hungry right away. Especially if you make your own weight gainer with oats instead of crumby maltodextrin. I can't imagine being on a "liquid diet". That's kind of crazy. I eat one home made weight gainer a day just because it helps me get those calories but whole food is not only better...it just satisfies better.