Glycogen from the liver? - AnabolicMinds.com

Glycogen from the liver?

1. Senior Member

Glycogen from the liver?

I was wondering how Glycogen is produced by the liver? If you are a limited carb diet, solely vegtables, no sugar, fruit, grains, etc... just vegtables. Where does the glycogen come from?

What effects on the body and the muscles does this have. Does this make you more sensitive to insulin?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Glycogen in the liver is produced when you consume fructose. The liver contains an enzyme called fructokinase, when fructose is consumed it is stored as liver glycogen. High amounts can cause insulin resistance. Fructose in large quantities has an overall negative effect on the body. Fructose has little if any effect on the muscle as little if any fructose ever manages to be made into liver glycogen, when there is too much fructose it simply is turned into fat.
  3. Senior Member

Thanks,

So if one is consuming high amounts of fat, protien and carbs from vegtables then gylcogen should be gone using fat for energy?
    •   

4. Banned

Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Thanks,

So if one is consuming high amounts of fat, protien and carbs from vegtables then gylcogen should be gone using fat for energy?
    I'm a bit confused about your question. Glycogen levels gradually deplete with exercise if thats what your asking.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I'm a bit confused about your question. Glycogen levels gradually deplete with exercise if thats what your asking.

Right, so if you are on a carb restricted diet, would you have no glycogen, in that case would your body sole energy provider be, fat?
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Right, so if you are on a carb restricted diet, would you have no glycogen, in that case would your body sole energy provider be, fat?

Oh. Well yes it would be fat. BUT, on low carb diets for athletic purposes carb loads over 24-48 hour periods are used to super compensate glyocgen levels in the muscles.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Oh. Well yes it would be fat. BUT, on low carb diets for athletic purposes carb loads over 24-48 hour periods are used to super compensate glyocgen levels in the muscles.

I have been using a diet as mentioned above sole carb source vegtables. I wanted to see the effects of not having any glycogen in my body. I have been using this for 3 weeks. No carb load. Now is it muscle wasting not to have carbs and using this method. I know my strength is gone.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

If your protein intake is adequate, your calorie intake is smart and well placed, then you should be losing minimal muscle with any fat loss. If your looking flat, muscle wise, it's normal, as glyocgen in the muscle is depleted water is removed out of the muscle and leads to a flat appearance.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.

lack of carbs has a diuretic effect which can make you look more ripped or smaller. but of course your glycogen stores will be decreased and that does make the muscles look smaller and along with the lack of water in the muscle you are going to look horrible.

low carb too long decreases leptin. low levels of leptin = low metabolism. the body's way of responding to your dramatic diet. Carb up every 3-5 days is the best way to solve this problem.

the body can store a crapload of carbs, i think 100 grams in the liver, and 200-400 in the muscles, but of course this is entirely dependent on how much muscle you have. That's why the weekend feedings on the anabolic diet are so carb laden since you assume you start at zero.

either way, be careful of assuming that you can just drop carbs and watch the weight fall off week after week. if that were truly possible, then in theory, if you were at a calorie deficit everyday, then eventually you'd wither away to nothing as your body continues to burn. your body will re-negotiate metabolism and get back to a steady state of neither loss or gain.
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Good posts from everyone in here ^_^

Bottom line, you are going to want/need a refeed time, be it once every week, or once every two. You are going to gain a nice chunk of weight(I gain around 5-8 or so lbs on refeeds) But it is usually gone by Tuesday. It also feels pretty sweet when your muscles are full and you just feel like gold

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
  2. Glycogen storage
    By bigironkiller in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
  3. sdrol v. epi: glycogen
    By Rugger in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
  4. Replies: 1