Too many carbs?

blitzkriegjim

Awards
I've been on a bulk here for the past few months and have kept my macros at first at 40/40/20 and was getting decent results. I then kicked it up to 50/30/20 for carbs and find myself without as much energy and feeling lethargic to the point where I can't get **** done in the gym because I just don't have the energy. I don't know what's up with me. I get 8 and sometimes 8+ hours of sleep a night. I don't think I'm overtraining (although I am going to take time off here to redevelop a plan of attack and try to figure this out and possibly a new diet). I'm taking in 4000 calories, weigh in at 175 with moderate daily activity (walking to classes and sometimes biking for 30 minutes or so). I get my carbs from clean sources as well, for instance yesterday it was oats, whole wheat bread, lots of veggies, banana, and brown rice. I normally have been getting around 350g of carbs a day. Could this be a cause of my lethargy and lack of being able to push heavier weights? I'm just puzzled because I thought carbs were so good, but I just don't think my body may be normal and can handle them as well as everyone else. Any help is appreciated here or any other info you may need to help me out just let me know.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Take a week off and see where you're at. Many athletes don't realize that they are overtrained until they regress big time. I've found myself in that hole a few times this year, and its a situation better left unexperienced.

To perform, you need carbohydrates. IMO however, CHO are highly overdone. The low/moderate CHO diet combined with a higher fat intake has proven itself time and time again to bring better performance. I've been following this diet for several months now, and I don't plan on ever returning to the wheat pasta gorge-a-thons I was previously dedicated to. Just something to consider, if you're willing to tinker with your diet.

CHO intake signals insulin release, and eventually hyperinsulinemia. Overdoing CHO will bring the lethargy you have been experiencing, and I'd suggest cutting back and introducing more fats to see how you feel.

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
I've been on a bulk here for the past few months and have kept my macros at first at 40/40/20 and was getting decent results. I then kicked it up to 50/30/20 for carbs and find myself without as much energy and feeling lethargic to the point where I can't get **** done in the gym because I just don't have the energy. I don't know what's up with me. I get 8 and sometimes 8+ hours of sleep a night. I don't think I'm overtraining (although I am going to take time off here to redevelop a plan of attack and try to figure this out and possibly a new diet). I'm taking in 4000 calories, weigh in at 175 with moderate daily activity (walking to classes and sometimes biking for 30 minutes or so). I get my carbs from clean sources as well, for instance yesterday it was oats, whole wheat bread, lots of veggies, banana, and brown rice. I normally have been getting around 350g of carbs a day. Could this be a cause of my lethargy and lack of being able to push heavier weights? I'm just puzzled because I thought carbs were so good, but I just don't think my body may be normal and can handle them as well as everyone else. Any help is appreciated here or any other info you may need to help me out just let me know.
I'm a huge proponent of using carbs as the main energy source on a bulk. Protein sparing, anabolic macronutrient.

^^ Like above said, take a week off or deload. You mention "lots" of veggies, and this seems to be the main reason. Cellulose can not be synthesized as glycogen, meaning it is instantly excreted. Although healthy, but when bulking, it's not the best.

350g carbs is nothing, very little to consider hypoglycemia post meals. If you're taking in 4kcals and only 1400 of those calories are carbs, then the remaining are proteins and fats, which for some (depending on carb sensitivity), can also lead to adipose.

Protein, Imo, I'd keep at 1g/lb of bodyweight, no more. Carbs should remain complex (grains, anything whole grain, sweet potatoes, oats, breads, rice, bran, etc.) excluding morning and post workout.

Keep fat moderate throughout the day, emphasizing before bed.

this is the best advice i can give bro.

KM