Lunch Meat ???

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
So lets hear it, the nutritional info looks decent for Lunch meat (turkey), but I've always heard not so great because it's processed.

Opinions?

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Watch out for the sodium. Otherwise it's just like eating any other meat.

I try to go for the deli meats myself. Not the Oscar Meyer prepackaged crap.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Get it straight from the deli, more expensive but much less preservatives, turkey is great, chicken is just as good, some roast beefs aren't bad, just stay away from the ham :(

lector606

lector606

Awards
Most deli meats are good lean protein sources, but very high in sodium like others said. If that's an issue for you, most grocery stores sell reduced/low sodium deli meats as well, but for most people salt doesn't seem like a huge concern anyway.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I want to get a meat slicer.... deli meats arent terrible... but the price is ridiculous... most people dont notice/dont care/ or just dont want to bother doing it themselves. I rarely eat deli meat bc i cant justify a $6 home-made sandwich just to get some protein on a slice of bread. I can just cook a chix breast for about $1-$2 and eat that with a fork/knife.

But $8 - $10/lb for some sliced ham/chicken/roast beef? even at retail you could buy those meats for $3-$4/lb.

Ill let you guys know if i find a decent slicer under $100

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Most deli meats are good lean protein sources, but very high in sodium like others said. If that's an issue for you, most grocery stores sell reduced/low sodium deli meats as well, but for most people salt doesn't seem like a huge concern anyway.
Holy F'in abs in the avi!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
The main thing you have to watch out for in processed meat is sodium nitrate/nitrite in addition too preserving meat it is used in fertilizers, pyrotechnics, solid rocket propellants, and glass and pottery enamels, among others. It it also a proven cancer causer. I is included in nearly all processed meat. One nationwide brand that I know that doesnt use it is "hormel" look for the red carboard containers, its naturally preserved in salt. Just soak it in water for a few hours, and presto no more sodium content.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I'll check that out, the meat slicer would be nice!

It''s not like Im dependent on lunch meat, in fact I barely ever eat it, but I was thinking and it would make a good meal with some ezekial toast for when I am in a rush, or in between classes.

Fear

Fear

Awards
Try grabbing some tuna, but make sure you get the salt/fat free kind (unless you want the fat). Cheap, tasty, and high in protein.

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
it's a complete protein source, and isn't overly fatty...don't see it being a problem. Turkey in general isn't very protein dense, especially the deli kind.

KM