How to measure food

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Is there a special type of scale or instrument that I can use to measure and tell me how many calories, carbs etc, I am consuming when I put a meal together. I have been kind of winging it, by using non or low fat stuff like milk cheese. I only eat egg whites, and chicken that is skinless. I do all my cooking, no salt, no oil or if I do, use olive or pam. I would really like to start keeping accurate track of my intake.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
You could try checking the diet tracker here on the site.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
go to bed bath and beyond or linens and things or buy online this scale

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13970254

if you keep your eyes out in your mail, there is usually a 20% off a single item or $5 off coupon from them once a month. Its sensitive to 1g but has a max capability of 7lbs. so you can put a plate or bowl on it, zero it out and measure accurately

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Wow didn't know bed bath and beyond was a real store lol.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Just get a food scale and then use the food's label as a reference for content.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just a funny thing to share with the scale, it seems I underestimated the weight of meats I was taking, overestimated the weights of veggies, and was freakin dead on with pb. I mean seriously, I can flop out 40g of pb with a butterknife consistently. bizarre

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
and was freakin dead on with pb. I mean seriously, I can flop out 40g of pb with a butterknife consistently. bizarre
This is one of the few forums where that is an impressive skill. :lol:

Main problem with a scale is that the caloric value of carbs, fat, and protein is different.
protein 4 cals per gram
carbs 4 cals per gram
fat 9 cals per gram
water 0 calories

so for a food to estimate the calories, it would haev to know the exact breakdown of protein/carbs/fat to calculate that versus weight.

I mention water bc i once weighed my lunch to be amazed that it weighed over 1 lb... then i realized i had a large plate of rice (carries a lot of water weight).

As mentioned, the best route is cross reference the Nutrition Facts on the label versus the weight of the food on your plate.