Tips for an early morning workout!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I got a new job and I'm working 8pm-6am. I have to workout fairly soon after I get up(around 3pm,not early,but it's when I'll get up). I know a lot of guys workout first thing in the morning. I was thinking of maybe 1/2 a cup of oats and some whey. Just wondering what some of you do for breakfast when you workout so early in the morning.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I usually don't eat before, but take some BCAAs.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since school started, I have to work out some days before my 8:30 class. I get up at 6:30, have some JP8, WPI & WMS, then hit the gym 30 minutes later. I have porridge w/ WPC for afterwards, and I sip on BCAA's during my workout. If it's a huge workout, I would recommend something like 80g WMS/Fast Carbs & BCAA's and sip on that during your workout.

Some people can't eat anything at all before they train, and some eat a whole bunch; you need to try out a few different ideas and see what works.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I myself train better with food in me. Just depends on you and what your goals are.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Since school started, I have to work out some days before my 8:30 class. I get up at 6:30, have some JP8, WPI & WMS, then hit the gym 30 minutes later. I have porridge w/ WPC for afterwards, and I sip on BCAA's during my workout. If it's a huge workout, I would recommend something like 80g WMS/Fast Carbs & BCAA's and sip on that during your workout.

Some people can't eat anything at all before they train, and some eat a whole bunch; you need to try out a few different ideas and see what works.
I personally can't even imagine waking up and working out. I might try waxy maize and purple wraath. Looks like it might be trial and error time...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I usually do light impact stretching in the morning. Deadlifting when half asleep... ehhhh :D

To answer your question, I would use anything with a stimulant. Preferably "Tha FLOOD"

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Ya, I personally do better when I have something in me too.
Like Renegade said, a stim would be perfect to kick your body out of that groggy mood that could either hurt performance, or just piss you off having to lift crap that heavy that early ^_^

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I train in the mornings. I take my P-Slin, and then 20 minutes after I take 1 scoop of whey, 1/2 cup of oats, and 40g of WMS. I also throw back some Vasocharge. It's been working well for me.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I train in the mornings. I take my P-Slin, and then 20 minutes after I take 1 scoop of whey, 1/2 cup of oats, and 40g of WMS. I also throw back some Vasocharge. It's been working well for me.
I might try that..I've never mixed wms with oats though,how is it?

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
I usually don't eat before, but take some BCAAs.
ditto, its like fasting cardio for me, but I do find the need to pop a stim because its early and I love sleep. ya heard..

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
ditto, its like fasting cardio for me, but I do find the need to pop a stim because its early and I love sleep. ya heard..
I just cannot conceive going right to the gym after waking up. I'd pass out.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Yah, it sucks.

I go in the "morning" myself. Noon-noon:30 for me. I wake up at 10:30, mix up 1 cup oats in the coffee grinder with 1.5 scoops protein. Sit on the shitter and slam. Then 15 minutes before WO I mix up 2 scoops Core ABC and 2 scoops Xtend w/CM.

I'm usually "alive" by then, but I'd rather work 9-5 and WO after work. Working out that early doesn't give enough time for certain supps like Prime to kick in, IME.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Caffeine pill immediately upon waking. Plenty for me.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I just cannot conceive going right to the gym after waking up. I'd pass out.
After about a week or so, I think you'll love it. It's no secret that testosterone is the highest in the morning, and once you get comfortable with the new sleep schedule, you'll be primed and ready to go. If you have trouble eating in the morning (I'm one of those guys), just find something that your comfortable with. I'd personally push for a whole food source over powders. In my experience, I just feel better with something solid in me.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
After about a week or so, I think you'll love it. It's no secret that testosterone is the highest in the morning, and once you get comfortable with the new sleep schedule, you'll be primed and ready to go. If you have trouble eating in the morning (I'm one of those guys), just find something that your comfortable with. I'd personally push for a whole food source over powders. In my experience, I just feel better with something solid in me.
+1 on the adjustment. I used to hate going to the gym early. Now i absolutely love it.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
two eggs raw, i slice on whole wheat toast but, before all that, 400mgs of caffine (pill form) Bcaa's and vit. C

joelast

joelast

Awards
All I do is oats and some whey and hour before, then my pre workout supp 1/2 hour before I go

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
I get up at 4.30am...no food...doubleshot espresso....5-6 grams BCAA's...been doing it for years now.

MassBuilda123

Awards
Yeah I work nights as well as you Planetfuzz and I get off around 6am with no food usually. It's tough sometimes but I usually load up on carbs when I get my break and lunch. Break time is midnight and I'll either have rice and brocolli or steak. Lunch is at 3 and I'll have some Raviolli or pasta.. and by the time I get off I'm straight for the hour and a half I put in at the gym. My body is physically drained as soon as I leave work but I'm only 22.. so I still have that drive in me to push when I hit the gym you know?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
to be honest i used to go after work because i could lift a little stronger and if i went in the morning i would yawn at the gym and hardly push any weight

since i started getting motivated again i go in the morning 5-6 times a week and i think the addition of 11-22 grams of xtend has helped me severely... i never have trouble working out in the morning anymore... i think a stim helps too... its all about routine... force your body through it a few weeks and it will be like nothing for ya after awhile

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I will take a 1/2 cup oats, a protein shake, BCAA's, and a cup of coffee!!!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I work nights as well as you Planetfuzz and I get off around 6am with no food usually. It's tough sometimes but I usually load up on carbs when I get my break and lunch. Break time is midnight and I'll either have rice and brocolli or steak. Lunch is at 3 and I'll have some Raviolli or pasta.. and by the time I get off I'm straight for the hour and a half I put in at the gym. My body is physically drained as soon as I leave work but I'm only 22.. so I still have that drive in me to push when I hit the gym you know?
You're talking about working out after you get off at six? I thought about this but then I'd be coming home around nine when the sun would be right in my face and that would just mess me up!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm experimenting with setting my alarm an hour early, taking a stim and some Swell (for the poseidon and L-leucine instead of BCAAS which kick me out of ketosis), then going back to sleep. In one hour I should be up completely awake and ready to hit the gym immediately. I don't like waiting for things to kick in, especially when the gym is only 20min away. I'm on a cut though otherwise I would replace with whey, multi, stim, etc - an hour or more before, and then sip on simple carbs while working out.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm experimenting with setting my alarm an hour early, taking a stim and some Swell (for the poseidon and L-leucine instead of BCAAS which kick me out of ketosis), then going back to sleep. In one hour I should be up completely awake and ready to hit the gym immediately. I don't like waiting for things to kick in, especially when the gym is only 20min away. I'm on a cut though otherwise I would replace with whey, multi, stim, etc - an hour or more before, and then sip on simple carbs while working out.
I did that when I was adjusting my sleep schedule. Works great. Everyone knows how easy it is to fall back asleep in the mornings. Back when I switched I was running a cycle so I took my first dose and a caffeine pill an hour before I actually needed to wake up
Looking back I wish I would have used melatonin/magnesium and valerian root, though.

MassBuilda123

Awards
You're talking about working out after you get off at six? I thought about this but then I'd be coming home around nine when the sun would be right in my face and that would just mess me up!
Yeah it works for me. LGs Cold Fusion Ex has helped me push through it and I come home around 8ish.. eat and clean the house. The hardest part is like you said.. the sun beaming in my face but I have a blanket covering the window. Needle and a hammer was all it needed and I'm good to go. I pass out around noonish lol it's tough getting to sleep during the day and sleeping pills help but I hate making a habit out of them. If anything.. some Phenibut XT 2-3 times a week so my tolerance doesn't build up.. and since it's been getting kinda cold that's helped with sleeping and getting all nice and cozy!

King Con

Awards
  • Established
Yah, it sucks.

I go in the "morning" myself. Noon-noon:30 for me. I wake up at 10:30, mix up 1 cup oats in the coffee grinder with 1.5 scoops protein. Sit on the shitter and slam. Then 15 minutes before WO I mix up 2 scoops Core ABC and 2 scoops Xtend w/CM.

I'm usually "alive" by then, but I'd rather work 9-5 and WO after work. Working out that early doesn't give enough time for certain supps like Prime to kick in, IME.
Congrats Reign of Animal winner.