Need some opinions on my diet!

1. Registered User
    Answers

Need some opinions on my diet!

Okay, I'm going on a cutting stack that consists of ECY + Primaforce LEAN GREEN + RPN DCP. I'm going to be doing morning jogs with a 20 pound weight vest on each morning (or afternoon, whatever) then I'll be lifting at least 5 times a week, concentrating on the serious muscles twice a week (Back, Chest), after each workout, I'll also be doing additional cardio. My diet has pretty much been the same as I'm going to do on the stack. The only difference is for the last month I've been taking around 80g of Carbs, 190-200g of Protein, and around 25g of Fat (no more than 10g being saturated). For the stack it's going to be a little different.

Here are my stats.
    Height: 5'8 Weight: 170 BF%: High 12 - Low 13
    My goal is obviously to lose as much BF without losing muscle as I can.

Here are the daily numbers, all coming from clean foods of course.
    Total Calories: About 1300-1400
    Total Fat: 40-50g (less than 10g of sat. The rest being good fats)
    Total Carbs: 50-60g (25g of Fiber; Flax meal added to my cereal and cottage cheese)
    Protein: Roughly 180g (mostly from chicken, I'll have tuna occasionally)

I've been on this same diet for about a month (the one I mentioned before this) and I lost about 1% and didn't drop any weight at all. For that month I've been doing 25 minutes of cardio, then weight training, then another 25 minutes of cardio.
    I'm practically gonna be doing the same thing this month, just with the added jogging in the morning. What do you guys think? Help a brother out

2. Registered User
    Answers

Also forgot to mention, my only concern is that my main source of carbs for the say (oatmeal) comes first thing in the morning, which means I don't really get and post workout. All I have post workout out are almonds, and protein.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Your body is ****ing starving for food.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RandallH1989 View Post
    Your body is ****ing starving for food.
    Word. You may be able to do that 2x/wk, but you will also need a hefty refeed so you don't shut down your thyroid and stay in a catabolic state.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Word. You may be able to do that 2x/wk, but you will also need a hefty refeed so you don't shut down your thyroid and stay in a catabolic state.
    So what should I bump up? The thing is, I don't want to gain any fat, especially on a serious cut. However, losing muscle is also never a good thing, and I don't have that happen either. Should I bump up carbs? or just calories all together? I have noticed that I'm extremely tired lately. This is why I'm asking for help. I know I'm eating clean, but I don't know if I'm eating right.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HelloEvo View Post
    So what should I bump up? The thing is, I don't want to gain any fat, especially on a serious cut. However, losing muscle is also never a good thing, and I don't have that happen either. Should I bump up carbs? or just calories all together? I have noticed that I'm extremely tired lately. This is why I'm asking for help. I know I'm eating clean, but I don't know if I'm eating right.
    Bump up the kcals. You realy shouldn't be under 2000kcals for an extended period of time. Just like bulking, cutting is a process that does not happen overnight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Bump up the kcals. You realy shouldn't be under 2000kcals for an extended period of time. Just like bulking, cutting is a process that does not happen overnight.
    So even though my BMR is about 1857, I should still eat 2,000 calories a day even though I'm cutting? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna **** up! Obviously, I'll need to bump up my carbs a little bit too, throwing in a piece of fruit after workouts should do the trick in that department. And I'll take in more protein to make up for the rest.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HelloEvo View Post
    So even though my BMR is about 1857, I should still eat 2,000 calories a day? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna **** up! Obviously, I'll need to bump up my carbs a little bit too, throwing in a piece of fruit after workouts should do the trick in that department. And I'll take in more protein to make up for the rest.
    Your BMR is the amount of kcals required for your bodily systems to function regularly. For total kcal expenditure, take your BMR, multiply it by 1.2 (account for general activity), multiply your kcal intake by .1 (accounts for thermic effect of feeding), and figure out your expenditure during training. Add those numbers together and you get your daily expenditure.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  211 lbs.
    Answers

I think fat intake is fine, but I'd bump the protein up to about 225 grams. Cycle your carbs...60 grams day after day will lead to stagnation both in fat loss and energy levels. As long as your cardio is solid, I'd bump up to maybe 200 grams of carbs a few days a week, 100 grams a few days a week, then keep maybe 2 of the 50-60 grams days weekly.

I couldn't exist on 50 grams of carbs daily. 100-125 is the lowest I can go, but my dieting is usually going from about 13% bf to 10%.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Dang bro, you have gotta be starving 24/7 at 1400

Just up your kcals, like they already said, and look into a CKD, it's good for losing BF and preserving muscle, but I dunno how low you would like to go, just a thought
    When I need 200-400 cals I just eat some more PB to get there nowadays ^_^
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Please read the posts in the following link. It's good stuff.

Fuel Talk Pt 1...Though I'd Share This

I will say that I agree with the need to up your cals. When you take in far below what you should your body goes into starvation mode and stores aveything as fat to save for later because it does not know when or how much it's going to get.
    Also, please be carefull doing that much running with weight vests. If your trained up to it it's fine, but does have the potential for real injuries.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Time to cut... need opinions on diet
    By kldd22 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM
  2. Opinions on diet
    By Funny Monkey in forum Bulking
    Replies: 2