Why can't I gain.

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Why can't I gain.

I've never kept track of diet before and just basically at whatever i felt like when i wanted to, but barely any junk food. now i've actually started keeping track of my diet, realized how very little calories i was eating and now am writing everything down. it's not exactly strict but its better than what it was before.

Here's my problem i've been eating anywhere from 3,200-3500 cals a day which is more than i ate before and i've lost 2lbs in the last month or so. i dont follow an exact diet because that would get too boring. my eating habbits consist of a morning shake with 1 cup oats 2tbs peanut butter 2 cups skim milk 2 scoops on whey protein and a banana, bringing my morning total to over 1,000 cals.

throughout the day i eat chicken beef fish pork brown rice vegetables apples wheat pasta turkey sausage sometimes eggs and turkey bacon in the morning almonds. pb&j sandwiches on 12 grain bread. now pretty much everyday i'm hitting 3,300 calories or more with over 250g protein, 400g carbs and maybe 150-200g fat

2. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    Here's my problem i've been eating anywhere from 3,200-3500 cals a day which is more than i ate before and i've lost 2lbs in the last month or so. i dont follow an exact diet because that would get too boring. my eating habbits consist of a morning shake with 1 cup oats 2tbs peanut butter 2 cups skim milk 2 scoops on whey protein and a banana, bringing my morning total to over 1,000 cals.
    Sorry. Can't have your cake and eat it too. You just identified your problem. You don't have the motivation to follow a full meal plan so you can't say that you are getting those calories.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Sorry. Can't have your cake and eat it too. You just identified your problem. You don't have the motivation to follow a full meal plan so you can't say that you are getting those calories.
    i techinically am. i mean i cant' sit down and eat the same thing everyday, but i do write everything down and make sure i get up to my goals
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

Okies then some other suggestions:

- Could be that you just need more calories. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs and I bulk on 3,000 Calories. Try upping yours by 500 Cals per day.
    - Are you measuring your food portions or just estimating (e.g. a chicken breast is a chicken breast and equal to 175 Cals?)
    - How long are your workouts? Other physical activity during the day? Does your job involve physical labor? You could have a higher than average energy expenditure that needs to be adjusted for.

Basically, once you are tracking calories you just keep increasing them every couple weeks until you start gaining weight.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

here's some thoughts: Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)

its either diet or routine. look at the above link and see if anything in it helps. good luck brotha.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Answers

Honestly I would suggest even though it MAY be boring... sit down and keep track of your overall diet for just ONE week. Eat what you normally do and do lie to yourself about how much or chang4e thsoe eating habbits... do it for just one week you may be VERY suprised what it looks like at the end of the week. That is first thing to make sure the diet is in check.

Another thought if your not gaining... how is your workout?
    Heavy compound lifts,Legs, squats,Pull up,deadlifts?
    If you have the fuel and are still not putting on muscle this is where I would look.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Gaining mass in a nutshell rules!!!
    That being said, you have to take into account your body type,ie; ecto-,endo-,mesomorph),as that will dictate SOME things you should and shouldn't do. For instance, if you're an ectomorph, which it looks like you may be, you'll have to actually train LESS frequently as you don't recover as fast, typically, in trying to put on mass. Stick to basic, compound movements, try to increase strength about 5% monthly and you'll see results with consistentcy in the gym. Good luck!!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  8. Registered User
    Answers

it's not exactly strict but its better than what it was before.
    i dont follow an exact diet because that would get too boring.
    Half-ass effort = Half-ass result
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Half-ass effort = Half-ass result
    this is true, but what i meant was i don't eat the same food everyday. i keep the same range of protein carbs and fats in a day so i have some variety and am not eating the same things day in and day out.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Answers

i figured these cals would help me gain because i wasn't even eating close to that much before and i was maintaining the same weight. i'm going to at some point get a body comp done if i can find out where to show my resting MBR and go from there i guess. thanks for the help guys.

as far as my workouts it's 10-12 reps 3-4 sets of nothing but free weights. only use some machines on shoulder days cause my shoulders are jacked up.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Answers

1g Protein
    2g-3g Carbs
    .5g Fats

Multiply those by your BW and hit those with 6-8 meals everyday.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jsp0785 View Post
    i figured these cals would help me gain because i wasn't even eating close to that much before and i was maintaining the same weight. i'm going to at some point get a body comp done if i can find out where to show my resting MBR and go from there i guess. thanks for the help guys.

as far as my workouts it's 10-12 reps 3-4 sets of nothing but free weights. only use some machines on shoulder days cause my shoulders are jacked up.

Gaining 'weight' and gaining mass are two different things.

Switch your routine to 4-5 HEAVY sets of 5 reps and see what happens after a month or two.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by allstar View Post
    1g Protein
    2g-3g Carbs
    .5g Fats

Multiply those by your BW and hit those with 6-8 meals everyday.
    I'd actually go 1.5-2g Protein per lb...

~GX
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
  2. Fat gain in PCT
    By Texan281 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
  3. can i gain AND cut?
    By BIGtuna73 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6