1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Low GI food intake for Bulking?

Hello again everyone,

Currently doing some research to put the best Bulk diet together I can. In the past I have always done a 40/40/20 split. Normally I did a more or less dirty bulk and while I managed to gain muscle very well it also increased fat beyond what I like. Ok enough background...

I was looking for the Glycemic Index sticky posted here and it made me wonder when trying to lean bulk how many Low GI carbs do people consume as part of their overall diet?

I would assume that eating lower GI food would promote less fat gain and more solid mass build?

I have also heard that eating carbs/Protein would be worse then eating fat/protein as far as blood sugar levels went?

Also any information as to lowering the GI of foods or the effect that some of food together can cause would be great!

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.4%

try not to worry to much about all that stuff on a bulk. a cal is a cal is a cal. if you eat more cals than you need you will put on weight and if your lifting hard and heavy your gonna put on muscle. now try and eat lots of protein and eating fiber with carbs helps slow down digestion rate and lowers blood sugar. Just eat and grow!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Beleive me I know the eat and grow idea haha.

Honestly though depending on your goals a kcal is not just a kcal. Prime example is if I sit here and eat candy all day is that kcals SURE will I put on nice lean bulk muscle chances are no...

My questions are more leaning towards the refineing of diet. I will be using GVT during my next bulk to break through some old limit and bulk up for the winter.

I would much rather plan out a good lean bulk put on 10 solid pounds with very little fat.

Just want more info on the effects of Low GI foods in mass building.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

Quote Originally Posted by striking View Post
    Hello again everyone,

Currently doing some research to put the best Bulk diet together I can. In the past I have always done a 40/40/20 split. Normally I did a more or less dirty bulk and while I managed to gain muscle very well it also increased fat beyond what I like. Ok enough background...

I was looking for the Glycemic Index sticky posted here and it made me wonder when trying to lean bulk how many Low GI carbs do people consume as part of their overall diet?

I would assume that eating lower GI food would promote less fat gain and more solid mass build?

I have also heard that eating carbs/Protein would be worse then eating fat/protein as far as blood sugar levels went?

Also any information as to lowering the GI of foods or the effect that some of food together can cause would be great!
    I think the glycemic load of a food is more pertinent than the index, It takes more things into consideration. There are times for intake of different types of carbs, some people would suggest to get the majority of your carbs between your first meal in the morning your pre workout meal and your post workout meal. Which would come out respectively as a mix of higher and some lower GL foods in the morning, low GL foods pre workout and high GL foods post workout.

Lower GL foods can help in weight management, but you have to keep in mind if you eat alot of carbs, regardless of the GL or GI you'll have calorie run over into fat.

As far as the carb with protein vs carbs with fat thing goes, protein can increase blood sugar levels, somewhere up to 52 percent of it can show up as blood sugar. Fat on the other hand has a much smaller percent of it that can raise blood sugar, somewhere in the low single digits, and it also slows down digestion rates.

check nutritiondata.com to check out glycemic stuff for food. Notice as the amount of carbs increase the GL increases.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2969/2
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2969/2
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

glycemic load is more important then glycemic index. take malto dextrin for example, it hasa low GI, but high insulin responce, same with waxy maize
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Thanks for that info it does support what I have been reading.

It would seem that if you consume Low GI food throughout the day it would help to keep a constant level of blod sugar and hopefully in that way not cuase your body to store as much fat. Clearly in a calories excess there is going to be some overflow but with exercise I think it will be kept to a min.

Truely I am just looking for a clearer picture because as I said in the past I have managed to bulk very well but never liked the amount of fat I gained. While not major I felt it was more then I would like.

I would think that fat with protein intake would allow slower digestion of it throughout the day where as protein with carbs esp. higher GI carbs would allow for fast uptake and use of protein for recovery or energy pre/post workout.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

What does your bulking scheme look like? How many pounds a week? How many weeks straight? Whats your macro breakdown while bulking?
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Low GI is the way to go. I generally have between 100 and 200 per day, mostly depends on what day it is, and if I'm training or not.

Veggies (non-starchy), Ezekial Bread, etc... are the frickin way to go.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Well for this one I will be starting out slowly nomrally packing on 1-1.5 lb a week. I nomrally shoot for a weight goal so that is how long I bulk for clearly it varies. I will also stop if I feel that I am putting on too much fat (one reason I made this thread)

As I said before I like a 40/40/20 split which seems to work very well for me. Clearly the std. protein intake of 1-1.5g per lb. fat intake from as healthy of sources as possible.
    The only thing I really had left to figure out was the carb intake. In the past I have just taken in carbs on whatever I wanted. I think it may of been part of the problem gaining too much fat.
    This time around I want to try a low GL carb and along with GVT see how well I can lean bulk.

For ozarkaBRAND
    Any other favs. you like to eat? I was looking over the GI list on here and I do liek most of the lower GI foods on there but I can see a few places where I have gone wrong.

One thing I am interested in is the effect that taking in mixed foods can have IE taking a low GI food with XX food causes a high GL... type thing.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

So I was poking around and found a very good site.

It has a table of over 700 foods and lists both GI and GL per serving size.

You can see that even though something have a higher GI the overall GL can be very small I am tempted to post the whole chart for people but here is a small bit of it.

From Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

Food Number and Item GI 2 Serve GL 3
    glucose size per
    =100 grams serve

Apple, NS(USA) 40 120 6
    Banana, ripe (all yellow) (USA) 51 120 13
  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

and keep in mind that both GI + GL are measurements taken solo - that food by itself with nothing else ingested. if you stick towards lower GI + GL foods in general, and always are taking in the carbs with protein and/or fats, you should be fine.

There shouldn't be anything that makes a low GI food a high GL other than volume of it eaten. conversely there are things that can make a high GI food a lower GI effect by eating with it, a great example is whole grain bread. eating it solo gives a higher GI than eating it with natty PB.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Great point easy! As I have seen here it is truely size that is important when ingested lower GL foods. In otherwords you can keep the GL lower simply by eating less of X food. You can also lower the GI of higher GI food as you said by adding in something that is slower to digest.

When I do start my bulk I will start at roughly 300g (keep in mind I am coming off CKD so I will slowly ramp this up) of carbs a day split with higher intakes at breakfast and pre workout followed by a higher GL after workout. The rest will be split between the other 5 or so meals throughout the day.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Well overall this has been a pretty good topic I better understand what is going on in the body now. Will be intresting to see differance in gains sticking to a lower GL bulk diet.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.27%

For ozarkaBRAND
    Any other favs. you like to eat? I was looking over the GI list on here and I do liek most of the lower GI foods on there but I can see a few places where I have gone wrong.

One thing I am interested in is the effect that taking in mixed foods can have IE taking a low GI food with XX food causes a high GL... type thing.
    Other faves -
    Carrots! dipped in something tasty - like PB
    Pinto beans
    Strawberries
    Green beans

OH, and about interactions, generally, adding fat to carbs will lower the GI.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Other faves -
    Carrots! dipped in something tasty - like PB
    Pinto beans
    Strawberries
    Green beans

OH, and about interactions, generally, adding fat to carbs will lower the GI.
    i eat everything with peanut butter, or hot sauce.

sweet mashed potatos yumm

cook them by boiling them then peel the skin, mash them up add some splenda or stevia macadamia nut oil or hazelnut oil, some cinnamon............ YUM
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.26%

Well for this one I will be starting out slowly nomrally packing on 1-1.5 lb a week. I nomrally shoot for a weight goal so that is how long I bulk for clearly it varies. I will also stop if I feel that I am putting on too much fat (one reason I made this thread)

As I said before I like a 40/40/20 split which seems to work very well for me. Clearly the std. protein intake of 1-1.5g per lb. fat intake from as healthy of sources as possible.
    The only thing I really had left to figure out was the carb intake. In the past I have just taken in carbs on whatever I wanted. I think it may of been part of the problem gaining too much fat.
    This time around I want to try a low GL carb and along with GVT see how well I can lean bulk.
    i followed a GI type bulk last winter and it was awesome.
    limiting carbs and favoring fat will keep your insulin levels steady.
    i made sure i consumed some form of fat with every meal.
    and i didn't shy away from saturated fats either.
    just remember, the ultimate trick to a lean bulk is not taking your total calorie intake way above maintenance.
    it's much slower but worth it imo. trading quantity for quality wins!
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    just remember, the ultimate trick to a lean bulk is not taking your total calorie intake way above maintenance.

thats true, you probably do not need more then 300g carbs and protein, and depending on your body weight you take half of that, or a little more in fat.

so 200 pound male
    300-350g protein
    300g carb
    100-115g fat

and adjust accordingly.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.91%

And if you haven't already seen this, a great site is The Glycemic Index you can search for foods (click on GI database) and get their glycemic index/loading.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.07%

Great point easy! As I have seen here it is truely size that is important when ingested lower GL foods. In otherwords you can keep the GL lower simply by eating less of X food. You can also lower the GI of higher GI food as you said by adding in something that is slower to digest.

When I do start my bulk I will start at roughly 300g (keep in mind I am coming off CKD so I will slowly ramp this up) of carbs a day split with higher intakes at breakfast and pre workout followed by a higher GL after workout. The rest will be split between the other 5 or so meals throughout the day.

Why not just bulk while in keto? Just curious.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    very hard to do
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I had thought about this and while it is possible to do, I plan on using GVT during at leastthe first 6weeks of bulking. As such from what I have learned my endurance would not be high enough to keep going on CKD and recover from the workouts.

This is the first time I will be going from CKD into a bulk. This whole week I have slowly been adding carbs back into my diet getting use to it again.
    I have the hope that after coming off such a carb restricting diet with a good workouts and good carbs it will add some nice slabs of muscle on hehe.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post

Thanks for the info Hank!
    That is exactly what I was thinking and wanted some others here to voice their thoughts.
    I was thinking that if I ate something with slightly higher GL then adding a bit of fat to it should bring it down enough to keep insulin steady or very close.
    I agree about the lean bulk and I have all winter to do it but I have managed to lean out extremely well on CKD and shed all the fat I wanted to. I believe I look decent overall but of course want more mass but this time around some better lean mass vice just getting bigger.

so 200 pound male
    300-350g protein
    300g carb
    100-115g fat
    Pretty much the exact idea I had come up with. Coming off this cut I am lower then normal but as I close the 200 lb mark this will pretty much be my exact split spread throughout the day.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Thanks for the info Hank!
    That is exactly what I was thinking and wanted some others here to voice their thoughts.
    I was thinking that if I ate something with slightly higher GL then adding a bit of fat to it should bring it down enough to keep insulin steady or very close.
    I agree about the lean bulk and I have all winter to do it but I have managed to lean out extremely well on CKD and shed all the fat I wanted to. I believe I look decent overall but of course want more mass but this time around some better lean mass vice just getting bigger.

Pretty much the exact idea I had come up with. Coming off this cut I am lower then normal but as I close the 200 lb mark this will pretty much be my exact split spread throughout the day.

yea pretty basic, all fats from olive oil (extra virgin) peanut butter, almonds, nut butter, peanut oil, Egg yolks, coconut milk (but dont replace the EFAs with it, add it to, maybe one meal)

this is what i try and do, i have my carbs a little lower, today im having 8 meals but my amount of meals greatly depends on when i wake up.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

Great advice there Crazy.

Generally I have 6+ meals a day starting at 5ish in the morning till roughly 7 at night and on weekends there is another meal in there hehe.

Good point on the EFA's in the morning the eggs cover it decently well but by noon I like to take a few caps and the same for dinner. IMO if you have to have fat in a meal they are the way to go along with what you already suggested makes for a good tasting healthy meal.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.5%

GI has no effect on body composition.

at least not in a direct way, lower GI foods tend to be higher in fiber/nutrients, hence more sustaining, but a carb is a carb is a carb.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/New.../may32006.html

great article with a study. Sorry guys.
  26. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.26%

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    GI has no effect on body composition.

at least not in a direct way, lower GI foods tend to be higher in fiber/nutrients, hence more sustaining, but a carb is a carb is a carb.

May32006

great article with a study. Sorry guys.
    good read, lyle does put out some good work. but the studies mentioned are all short term (days/weeks).
    longer term studies have shown following a GI approach to improve insulin sensitivity.
    it takes years of poor eating habits and repeated insulin trashing to become a diabetic.
    nutritionists recommend high fiber carbs, and pairing all carbs with either fat or protein to diabetics for a reason.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.52%

I thought it was a good read too. It may be very true in the short term and for that matter what I was talking about used during bulking *however* even if it does not help overall body comp I think the OVERALL effect that the "heathier" foods and fuller meals have on the body would still lend itself to larger gains in terms of muscle building or recovery. I know a carb is a carb but all the other thing IE the BIG picture is what has to be looked at in this case.

Example would be eating candy and drinking protein shakes all day I would get carbs/fat/Protein and calories I needed but is that the grounds for a solid body and big gains I believe most would say NO way!

The same calories from whole foods with food sources of fat solid filling meals with carbs and fat/protein overall would leand to a better platform to build off of.
    " Garbage in = garbage out. "
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.94%

i know this is kind of a late response..but why not an idea of keeping your carbs limited to certain meals. breakfast and pre/post workout on workout days..and only breakfast on OFF days.

and say NO to the insulin spikes by staying away from all these simple sugars. your body is more than smart enough to shuttle nutrients to it's cells without us forcing it to do so.

Similar Forum Threads

1. food intake help
    By gino54 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 11:26 AM
  2. Food Intake and Mdrol
    By vetteman36 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:05 PM
  3. Dutchman, Ageless & others - keeping food intake UP
    By BodyWizard in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 6