soluble fibers affect on insulin response..

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Everything I have always read has lead me to believe that insoluble fiber simply helps push everything through and helps you move everything through the digestive tract, while soluble fiber binds with water, thus giving you softer stool, and as a result of this, it keeps the sugars/carbs in your stomach for a longer period of time so that they can be broken down more slowly.

So.....say I'm on a keto diet, or any form of cutting really. Wouldn't it make more sense to do get the carbs/sugar used up as fast as possible so that your body is forced to use something ELSE for fuel, (ie. hopefully fat) as opposed to having a slower steady supply of fuel from the carbs/sugar in your stomach that the soluble fiber is holding? That's what I would think would work better anyways. If I'm doing a low carb diet it's because with low carbs for energy i'm forcing my body to pull fuel from other sources.

So can someone explain to me why I would want soluble fiber as opposed to insoluble? Especially while dieting...?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everything I have always read has lead me to believe that insoluble fiber simply helps push everything through and helps you move everything through the digestive tract, while soluble fiber binds with water, thus giving you softer stool, and as a result of this, it keeps the sugars/carbs in your stomach for a longer period of time so that they can be broken down more slowly.

So.....say I'm on a keto diet, or any form of cutting really. Wouldn't it make more sense to do get the carbs/sugar used up as fast as possible so that your body is forced to use something ELSE for fuel, (ie. hopefully fat) as opposed to having a slower steady supply of fuel from the carbs/sugar in your stomach that the soluble fiber is holding? That's what I would think would work better anyways. If I'm doing a low carb diet it's because with low carbs for energy i'm forcing my body to pull fuel from other sources.

So can someone explain to me why I would want soluble fiber as opposed to insoluble? Especially while dieting...?
Wow, this is the kind of BS that I used to think about, the microdetailing of every little aspect of my diet to make sure it was PERFECT and worrying about every little f**king thing.

You know what, if you happen to eat soluble fiber opposed to insoluble fiber or vice versa, it won't make a measurable difference in your progress in your goal to cut.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Well, thanks for answering my question :clap2:

It isn't particularly that I'm OCD and am thinking either/or is going to help me/hinder me. I'm more curious just to know the how and why of each and what their effects both really are/would be in certain situations.

Hunger for knowledge is not a bad thing....

Last edited:
pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Well, thanks for answering my question :clap2:

It isn't particularly that I'm OCD and am thinking either/or is going to help me/hinder me. I'm more curious just to know the how and why of each and what their effects both really are/would be in certain situations.

Hunger for knowledge is not a bad thing....
haha omen always seems to have very cynical responses to threads. I don't know why he even bothers to respond if he has a melt-down about each one.

anyway, i don't think it's OCD at all. Being interested about the details is perfectly fine because sometimes that's what it takes for certain people to stay inspired, and stay on track to solve their goals. All the stuff we talk about now, is the result of someone taking the subject matter "too seriously" and then watering it down for us.

I think that it's basically the same thing as discussing a fast carb vs. complex carb situation. You're just using the soluble fiber to reduce the digestion speed of a fast carb.

You're right a sugar rush is going to get the carbs out of your blood stream fast. The insulin pushes it down, and then it will probably be stored as glycogen or fat. Afterwards, your body can scavenge another source of energy. Maybe the same glycogen or fat it just stored or protein.

With a slower carb the glycogen will be released in the bloodstream over time, so instead of it being pushed down all at once you have a chance to use it while it's in the bloodstream. And since we're talking about say for example 30 grams of dextrose by itself vs. 30 grams of dextrose with soluble fiber, the slower release is obviously going to be less glycogen release per unit time.. so if your energy expenditure exceeds that, your body will have to find another source for energy, possibly fats, stored glycogen, or protein.

IMO, i'd rather not have my body store fats at all, even if I think it's going to use it later. Releasing fats is finicky at best, there has to be carnitine, insulin levels have to be low, etc. I would think it's better to just give what you can use.

and in the end, if you can slow down the digestion of carbs, I would do it (cept maybe after working out). It will promote much better insulin sensitivity which is proven to help people lose fat and even lose the insulin insensitivity gut, not to mention is crucial for good health.

but then again the whole point may be moot. I don't think soluble fiber can really slow down simple carb digestion that much, but I'm curious to know the answer. It's like saying you can reduce the glycemic index of koolaid as long as you add enough soluble fiber to it.