Can spitting tobacco impede muscle gains?

matic22

Awards
I know, its a nasty habit that i need to kick but i was just wondering if it can slow up in muscle gains?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i really dont think so, it may affect motivation or somethin......but not muscle gain as fare as i know

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
yep.

Nicotine is the main ingredient of concern in smokeless tobacco. It is estimated that a normal, 30-minute dip of smokeless tobacco delivers the same amount of nicotine as 3-4 cigarettes. Nicotine affects the brain and central nervous system and changes neurotransmitters levels regulating mood, learning, alertness, and ability to concentrate.

Nicotine can also increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels and reduce circulation. Nicotine can act like a stimulant or a sedative, and causes the release of endorphins, which provide a tranquilizing effect. Finally, nicotine is considered more addictive than crack or alcohol.

If nicotine wasn't bad enough, there is a cocktail of other harmful chemicals associated with smokeless tobacco including: polonium 210 (nuclear waste), formaldehyde (embalming fluid), and arsenic. According to the American Cancer Society, chewing tobacco users are 50 times more likely than non-users to get cancers of the cheek, gums, and inner surface of the lips.

PM for a link if you'd like to read more.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how they get polonium to taste like peach....mmmm...*spit*

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I dunno, but im on maybe a tin every two weeks, hope to be off it soon... im a fan of the citrus myself tho..

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When done regularly, yes it will.

An occasional dip here and there, say a couple a month, I don't really see that hurting anything.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
When done regularly, yes it will.

An occasional dip here and there, say a couple a month, I don't really see that hurting anything.
Same here. :goodpost:
If your doing a can a day, then you've got other issues to deal with.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
I have known many guys that smoke or dip and still have great muscle gain. Overall I don't think they felt very effected by it.

On a positive note once they started workoing out their need to smoke or chew greatly decreased. So the compounding effect was they did less and less and their gains got better.

In short it effects you but if you use exercise as a way to fill a vice then your heading in a good direction.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I average a tin a week. Used to go through 1 a day, especially when I was working drilling rigs up north.

Only side effect I've noticed so far is having to buy whitening toothpaste ;)

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
im a can a day guy...fairly built..i have a pinch before the gym. if i dont i feel like i cant function. also, the majority of my can goes from 7am-3pm( at work in the paper mill)

Foolish

Awards
yep.

Nicotine is the main ingredient of concern in smokeless tobacco. It is estimated that a normal, 30-minute dip of smokeless tobacco delivers the same amount of nicotine as 3-4 cigarettes. Nicotine affects the brain and central nervous system and changes neurotransmitters levels regulating mood, learning, alertness, and ability to concentrate.

The main ingredient of concern in dip are the TSNA (tobacco specific nitrosamine). Tobacco is a dangerous friend, but nicotine itself is much less venomous.

Nicotine can also increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels and reduce circulation. Nicotine can act like a stimulant or a sedative, and causes the release of endorphins, which provide a tranquilizing effect. Finally, nicotine is considered more addictive than crack or alcohol.

You forgot the enhanced reward mechanism which it shares with *gasp* cocaine and amphetamine!

If nicotine wasn't bad enough, there is a cocktail of other harmful chemicals associated with smokeless tobacco including: polonium 210 (nuclear waste), formaldehyde (embalming fluid), and arsenic. According to the American Cancer Society, chewing tobacco users are 50 times more likely than non-users to get cancers of the cheek, gums, and inner surface of the lips.

There's arsenic in peach pits too, the question is quantity, this type of stuff is (unless otherwise proven) unfounded fear mongering

PM for a link if you'd like to read more.
Can you cite your source? Also comments in bold.

soultrain

soultrain

Awards
MDMA (Ecstasy) = bad for liver, bad (maybe) for serotonin neurons in brain

And for future reference, here's the short course:
Cocaine = bad for liver
Cocaine + alcohol = very, very, very bad for liver
Heroin/morphine = fine for liver, bad for natty test (with long-term use)
Vicodin/Percocet = bad for liver (due to acetaminophen, not the hydro/oxycodone), bad for natty test (with long-term use)
Meth = bad for just about everything: teeth, skin, brain, liver, sanity, life
Acid, mushrooms = fine for liver, fine for rest of body, no known brain damage, but sometimes bad for sanity
Skoal, Copenhagen = delicious and nutritious
:thumbsup:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I didn't say it was your alteration, the source respectively has no sources, I was looking for science to back up the claims that nicotine is evil. But, as I said before, there is some nasty stuff in tobacco itself, but one must differentiate.
brotha - not accusing you of accusing me. ;) i just hate site sourcing to another bb website.

and yes, smoking is so much worse for you.

Mass Hole

Awards
The polonium 210 gets into the chew in two ways:
1. Tobacco naturally pulls it in via the environment.
2. polonium 210 is a constituent of the super phosphate soil which the tobacco plants are grown in.

Palonium 210 is the same substance that was used to kill the Russian spy a while back, it does not take much.

If you are using tobacco products know that they kill at least 400,000 Americans each year (that is a mild estimate.) Good luck trying to quit, because there does not seem to be anything as addictive.

Foolish

Awards
brotha - not accusing you of accusing me. ;) i just hate site sourcing to another bb website.

haha alright cool :) that was getting kinda circular. Nicotine itself is actually quite an effective diet aid, patches are best because you don't get instant gratification so theres much less chance of addiction. Potent Anorectic, Elevates blood FFAs.

Tyler1

Tyler1

Awards
I average a tin a week. Used to go through 1 a day, especially when I was working drilling rigs up north.

Only side effect I've noticed so far is having to buy whitening toothpaste ;)
What about the side effect of the inside of your lip peeling, and waking with the the gum and lip feeling and looking like it was rubbed with sand paper all day the day before? Wait the might have just been the copenhagen snuff I used to eat like candy :) ...never could chew the flavory fruity kind, made me want to barf. I've been snuff free for a few years, I still get the desire though, I probably always will.

I've got a good friend in the higher ups (started in the lower) of a drilling rig up north. He still eats the s!!! snuff like he works hard during the day or something.

wsc04forever

Awards

not so sure about that, smoking may give you lung cancer in 30 years or whatever, but dip could put you in the hospital having mouth surgery in just a few years, coming from someone whos done both, dip can be much more dangerous short term, be very carefull

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
found this interesting. credit goes to dashforce at the M and M forum

Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004 Sep 1;15(5):252-63.
Smokeless tobacco and oral cancer: a review of the risks and determinants.
Rodu B, Jansson C.
PMID: 15470264

The available epidemiologic studies indicate that the use of
chewing tobacco and American moist snuff is associated with
minimal risk for oral cancer, while the use of Swedish moist
snuff is associated with no demonstrable risk. In comparison,
some studies have reported elevated risks for dry snuff use,
and these studies may have influenced the perception of the
entire SLT category in past evaluations. For example, in 1986
the US Congress passed the Comprehensive Smokeless
Tobacco Education Act, which mandated placement of an oral
cancer warning on all SLT products. One year later, IARC classified SLT products as carcinogenic to humans, based almost
entirely on epidemiologic studies. In the 17 years since these
two actions occurred, the number of relevant epidemiologic
studies has nearly doubled. The new body of epidemiologic
evidence suggests that these actions may now be seen as too
broad. It may be time for these agencies to re-examine the issue
of the risks of specific forms of SLT use.