Critique my breakfast shake

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Every morning i wake up and just before shower i take in 1.5grams of yellow gold. when i get out and get dressed usually about a half hour later i mix up this breakfast shake. I don't know if i should be taking in that many calories all at once or not. it's consists of...

1 cup oats
2tbs peanut butter
2 scoops ON whey protein
2 cups milk(sometimes skim, sometimes whole)
1 banana

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks fine. Breakfast usually should be your biggest meal of the day, so this should be fine, provided you are trying to gain weight.

If I were to change anything, I would replace the banana with berries, but that is hardly crucial. If you'd rather stick with the banana, you'll be fine.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Looks fine. Breakfast usually should be your biggest meal of the day, so this should be fine, provided you are trying to gain weight.

If I were to change anything, I would replace the banana with berries, but that is hardly crucial. If you'd rather stick with the banana, you'll be fine.

That's just what I usually have around the house. Why berries over banana?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
edit: BERRIES ARE higher in fiber, lower glycemically, higher antioxidant content and more beneficial phytonutrients (fights cancer, aids in brain function, all kinds of crap).

bananas really only got their potassium going for them, and that isn't even that high - green veggies are a better source, as are almonds. and they're a clone, but that's really neither here nor there and hasn't been proven to have an effect on their content.

that being said, they are still a decent fruit, and they're cheap and convenient.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
edit: BERRIES ARE higher in fiber, lower glycemically, higher antioxidant content and more beneficial phytonutrients (fights cancer, aids in brain function, all kinds of crap).

bananas really only got their potassium going for them, and that isn't even that high - green veggies are a better source, as are almonds. and they're a clone, but that's really neither here nor there and hasn't been proven to have an effect on their content.

that being said, they are still a decent fruit, and they're cheap and convenient.
alright. i'll probably stick with the banana cause my potassium intake is always pretty low anyway and i get too much fiber as it is. thanks for the info

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I've had success in the past with similar shakes. My stand-by for breakfast all last year was 1 cup quick oats, 3 scoops metabolic drive (overpriced whey/casein blend), mixed- or blue- berries, banana, and olive oil for +/- 1000 cal. Breakfast should ideally be the biggest meal, or be the same size as the solid food post-workout meal, in my experience.

You may get better results with more carbs/protein and less fat, but the fat is easy calories and provides longer satiety when combined with the carbs. John Berardi, a well-respected nutritionist, says to generally avoid combining large amounts of fats and carbohydrates, but if you up the fiber content you will run into less trouble.

The only real thing I would change is to use a higher-quality casein blend, like milk protein isolate. It can be had for $7/pound on trueprotein, and there are a lot of people who have 5% off codes available on here. I give that site two thumbs up for sure.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Fish oil is a great idea at breakfast. I find morning and night dosing effective and easy. I recommend Carlson's cod liver or similar, 1-2tsp 2x per day. Lemon flavor, high dose, best deal, liquid, just don't put it IN the shake.

Currently I'm consuming whey protein isolate before a solid food breakfast, but you may not have the time, and shakes are very convenient.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
I've had success in the past with similar shakes. My stand-by for breakfast all last year was 1 cup quick oats, 3 scoops metabolic drive (overpriced whey/casein blend), mixed- or blue- berries, banana, and olive oil for +/- 1000 cal. Breakfast should ideally be the biggest meal, or be the same size as the solid food post-workout meal, in my experience.

You may get better results with more carbs/protein and less fat, but the fat is easy calories and provides longer satiety when combined with the carbs. John Berardi, a well-respected nutritionist, says to generally avoid combining large amounts of fats and carbohydrates, but if you up the fiber content you will run into less trouble.

The only real thing I would change is to use a higher-quality casein blend, like milk protein isolate. It can be had for $7/pound on trueprotein, and there are a lot of people who have 5% off codes available on here. I give that site two thumbs up for sure.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Fish oil is a great idea at breakfast. I find morning and night dosing effective and easy. I recommend Carlson's cod liver or similar, 1-2tsp 2x per day. Lemon flavor, high dose, best deal, liquid, just don't put it IN the shake.

Currently I'm consuming whey protein isolate before a solid food breakfast, but you may not have the time, and shakes are very convenient.
i take fish oil 3 times a day and the fat i'm getting is good fat from the peanut butter. i've been wanting to use casein because i don't think i'd even absorb 50g of isolate all at once along with the peanut butter and oat protein. just been to lazy to look. i'll take a look at that site and see what they offer. thanks

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
i take fish oil 3 times a day and the fat i'm getting is good fat from the peanut butter. i've been wanting to use casein because i don't think i'd even absorb 50g of isolate all at once along with the peanut butter and oat protein. just been to lazy to look. i'll take a look at that site and see what they offer. thanks
I know peanut butter is a good fat (most fats other than trans are fine/have their place), just pointing out that some people strongly recommend limiting consumption of fat and carbs together.

Good luck.

PS, fats do slow down the WP isolate absorption

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
If you're getting too much fiber try getting some bulk Maltodextrin. I like using oats and Maltodextrin so I can get tons of carbs but not tons of fiber.

Toss some raw eggs or egg whites in there and that shake is golden.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
If you're getting too much fiber try getting some bulk Maltodextrin. I like using oats and Maltodextrin so I can get tons of carbs but not tons of fiber.

Toss some raw eggs or egg whites in there and that shake is golden.
sounds good i'm gonna look for some casein protein and probably bump my yellow gold intake up to 2 grams before breakfast

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
That's really unfortunate. I love putting raw eggs in my shake. I did some research and it seems that if a egg white is pasteurized (such as the break-free ones in cartons),specifically heat pasteurized it breaks the avidin bond. This company specializes in that. http://www.eggwhitesint.com/ Seems good. I just love putting egg yolks in my shakes too much. Tastes amazing and good source of calories. The whole egg protein from TP is good...just so pricey.

malou

malou

Awards
sorry newbie here
when you guyz talk about olive oil is that tha regola olive oil from wali world
and why egg white and not tha whole egg
when trying to gain weight shoulda aim fo mo calories intake or proteins

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i do 1.5 cups oats and 3 scoops of ON ~90/90/13 ~825cals.

then 6 whole eggs and 1/2lb hashbrowns an hour later.

the ecto-only diet...eat poo phelps!!!!:toofunny:

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
i do 1.5 cups oats and 3 scoops of ON ~90/90/13 ~825cals.

then 6 whole eggs and 1/2lb hashbrowns an hour later.

the ecto-only diet...eat poo phelps!!!!:toofunny:
yea i can't eat that much... i saw somebody posting something about being car resistant and feeling really full and bloated after eating and i get that feeling alllll the time. i don't know if that's a real thing or not but who knows

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TrueProtein's MPI is awesome - it is my pre-bed meal, along with some coconut, cocoa powder and fish oil. ON's Casein is also good quality stuff, so either way is good.

Addint Maltodextrin is not the best idea in my opinion, it's got a glycemic index of 100 and the glycemic load on a shake of that kind is going to be pretty darn high as well. Stick to oats and or other lower GI carbs. Maltodex in this situation is only going to lead to increased fat gain, unless you are a total ecto.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
TrueProtein's MPI is awesome - it is my pre-bed meal, along with some coconut, cocoa powder and fish oil. ON's Casein is also good quality stuff, so either way is good.

Addint Maltodextrin is not the best idea in my opinion, it's got a glycemic index of 100 and the glycemic load on a shake of that kind is going to be pretty darn high as well. Stick to oats and or other lower GI carbs. Maltodex in this situation is only going to lead to increased fat gain, unless you are a total ecto.
I've just been taking 1 scoop of the MPI at bedtime with fish oil. 1 scoop of WPI in the morning before breakfast, too. I could probably benefit from 2-3 scoops MPI at bedtime (possibly at least) but it gets expensive fast along with the workout blend I use.

I would go with Trueprotein's Swedish Oat Starch over the malto for sure.

Here's a blend I came up with off the cuff for a friend a while back as a meal replacement shake.

50% milk protein isolate
30% swedish oat starch
10% psyllium seed husk fiber
10% medium chain triglycerides

matic22

Awards
what's the best type of carb that should be taken after waking up.....slow digesting or quick carbs?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer medium and low GI carbs at all times other than intra- and post-workout.

Breakfast is a good time for carbs like fruit, as after a night of sleep, your liver glycogen levels will be low and fruit's fructose will quickly reestablish that. Oats and other medium GI grains are also a good choice because they will hit the bloodstream fairly quickly, but no so fast that your lean mass cannot absorb it.

Any other meal, I keep it as low GI and GL as possible.

matic22

Awards
thanks resolve...exactly what i was looking for

matic22

Awards
when u say oats u mean like instant oatmeal or sometrhing like that right?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
when u say oats u mean like instant oatmeal or sometrhing like that right?
Yeah,toss it in the blender or use a coffee grinder or food processor to make it really fine.

I really like the fact that Malto doesn't have any fiber though. I get so much fiber. I'm a total ecto. I've gone through several tubs of malto with zero fat gain. I might try TP's oat starch in the future though. I'll eat less beans or something. Wouldn't mixing the maltodextrin with things such as oats and berries lower it's GI a little?

matic22

Awards
ok....i always have trouble finding or should i say getting enough slow carbs in me...this is a good move for me

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
ok....i always have trouble finding or should i say getting enough slow carbs in me...this is a good move for me
Oh yeah. The idea had never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it on here. I love it.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO, you can't really get too much fiber, just more than what your body is acclamated too. Unless, of course, you start eating a tub of psyllium husks everday or something else equally ridiculous.

Fuzz, having oats and berries will lower the GI of the entire meal, but won't affect the GI of the malto itself. Other, larger, more complex molecules may slow it's absorption, but again you are then looking at the GI of the entire meal.

If you're not gaining fat on Malto, good for you, just remember it is high GI and is also a food that can very quickly amount to a high glycemic load. If the rest of your diet's not in check, or also has a high glycemic load, over time you could develop insulin resistance or other blood sugar problems.

Not saying it will happen as genetics play a large part and I don't know your entire diet, I'm just saying be aware.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
IMO, you can't really get too much fiber, just more than what your body is acclamated too. Unless, of course, you start eating a tub of psyllium husks everday or something else equally ridiculous.

Fuzz, having oats and berries will lower the GI of the entire meal, but won't affect the GI of the malto itself. Other, larger, more complex molecules may slow it's absorption, but again you are then looking at the GI of the entire meal.

If you're not gaining fat on Malto, good for you, just remember it is high GI and is also a food that can very quickly amount to a high glycemic load. If the rest of your diet's not in check, or also has a high glycemic load, over time you could develop insulin resistance or other blood sugar problems.

Not saying it will happen as genetics play a large part and I don't know your entire diet, I'm just saying be aware.
:clap2:

Agreed on all points, Resolve.

Some people do recommend a 2:1 malto (or glucose or dextrose) to whey immediately upon waking before your first solid meal, and having protein and slow-digesting carbs in the solid meal.

For someone trying to bulk that's under 200 pounds and fairly low body fat (IE, an ecto), I'd guess that 60-70 grams would not be "too much." 100+ would probably be too much.

I've read before that having too much fiber will actually leach nutrients out of the rest of your food, but I can't imagine that happening if you are actually eating whole foods and not supplementing with psyllium or glucomannan.

To the too much fiber guy...how much are you ACTUALLY getting?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
:clap2:

Agreed on all points, Resolve.

Some people do recommend a 2:1 malto (or glucose or dextrose) to whey immediately upon waking before your first solid meal, and having protein and slow-digesting carbs in the solid meal.

For someone trying to bulk that's under 200 pounds and fairly low body fat (IE, an ecto), I'd guess that 60-70 grams would not be "too much." 100+ would probably be too much.

I've read before that having too much fiber will actually leach nutrients out of the rest of your food, but I can't imagine that happening if you are actually eating whole foods and not supplementing with
psyllium or glucomannan.

To the too much fiber guy...how much are you ACTUALLY getting?
Thanks resolve. It's helping me gain weight but I also want to keep my health in check. I usually get about 25-30g a day. I know that is about average but anymore and I'm sure I'd have some digestive issues. I only use about 50g a day maybe 75 on a training day. My diet is pretty solid. Maltodextrin is about as sugary as it gets except maybe some juice post-workout. When it runs low I'll consider something else. Thanks again for the advice resolve.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Thanks resolve. It's helping me gain weight but I also want to keep my health in check. I usually get about 25-30g a day. I know that is about average but anymore and I'm sure I'd have some digestive issues. I only use about 50g a day maybe 75 on a training day. My diet is pretty solid. Maltodextrin is about as sugary as it gets except maybe some juice post-workout. When it runs low I'll consider something else. Thanks again for the advice resolve.
i've been getting about 100 - 110 grams of fiber a day

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Hey, no problem, it's the whole point of this forum. :)

There's a lot of good advice in this thread from lots of guys, not just me.
It's always neat how I'll end up learning something on accident. Love AM!!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow - good for you! I have no clue how much I get, but I know it's a fair bit - I get about 10g at breakfast and then have fibrous veggies at every other meal and my fat choices typically have fiber in them too. I know I'm getting a lot, so the actual number I don't concern myself with too much.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I guess if it works for you. 25-30 seems to keep everything moving for me. I can't imagine quadrupling it.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
......HOW?

If you aren't supplementing, let's work with a relatively high-fiber food to figure out how many cals you are eating...

Oatmeal: 1/2 cup (dry) - ~150 calories, 4 grams of fiber.

25 servings * 150 = 3750 cal, 100 grams fiber

Even if you were eating nothing but a fairly high-fiber food like oatmeal, you'd have to eat 12.5 cups of oatmeal daily to get that much fiber, and you'd be eating a pretty good number of calories (3750).

IF you aren't supplementing with a SEPERATE fiber supp...I see NO way this is possible.

How many calories are you eating and WTF foods are you eating?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oatmeal not really a high fiber food, when you compare calories and grams of fiber per serving to, say, veggies or beans.

I mean, a 3oz serving of spinach has 3g total carbs, 2 of which are fiber, so it has next-to-no calories, just phytonutrient goodness. I'll eat 10-12oz of spinach at a time, usually along with lots of other veggies that all contain high amounts of fiber too, so it adds up. Do that 6-8 times a day with various veggies and I get a lot of fiber.

Additionallly, some kinds of beans have about 14g fiber per serving, avocado can have up to 17g per fruit, and coconut and other nuts are practically all fiber, in terms of their carb content. So it's just a matter of what you eat - it would be hard to hit 100 w/just grains, but it's doable with other kinds of food from the plant kingdom.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
......HOW?

If you aren't supplementing, let's work with a relatively high-fiber food to figure out how many cals you are eating...

Oatmeal: 1/2 cup (dry) - ~150 calories, 4 grams of fiber.

25 servings * 150 = 3750 cal, 100 grams fiber

Even if you were eating nothing but a fairly high-fiber food like oatmeal, you'd have to eat 12.5 cups of oatmeal daily to get that much fiber, and you'd be eating a pretty good number of calories (3750).

IF you aren't supplementing with a SEPERATE fiber supp...I see NO way this is possible. the cereal i eat sometimes has 8g per serving

How many calories are you eating and WTF foods are you eating?
wheat pasta has 10grams of fiber per serving. that's a lot of it

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
sorry newbie here
reading this guys post made me feel like i transported back in time and was 13 years old again in an AOL chat room :toofunny:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
sorry newbie here
Using punctuation would have been a good start.