post training carbs

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.86%

post training carbs

always looking for a better way... a famous guy that used to hang around here, did not believe in simple/high glycemic carbs for post train. i still don't know the best answer myself. can you(do you want to) have a big spike of insulin at this time? will it make you fat? i'm trying a new one this week that i hadn't heard of before. brown rice syrup.

Brown rice syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all thoughts welcome...

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

A lot of individuals around here, including myself are proponents of complex carbs 24/7. Insulin spiking has been debunked many times over (but some people do still prefer it and find they respond well to it). There are a couple of really well discussed threads on the topic that I will try and dig up for your to read over.

edit:
    Banana - after training
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.91%

Although I've only tried it a couple of times..

I absolutely love 2 cups whole milk + 1 scoop cinnamon bun whey PWO. Tastes amazing, keeps me full 'till my next meal, and has been great for recovery as far as I can tell.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26%

The best thing that the insulin spike does is shut down cortisol release - as far as I know that's indisputable.

I've heard both that insulin is an anabolic hormone, and that it doesn't do so much for muscle building. IDK the answer, but I can tell you that I worked out for about 3 years without any sort of post W/O carbs and my gains eventually came to a halt. When I began using the carbs, I put on about 10 more lbs within a few short months naturally.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

If sufficient pre workout carbs are taken in, you can really use the insulin response to possibly control cortisol release during training. Another reason why fast acting carbs post work out are not a necessity.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26%

Neat! I thought that the lower GI stuff never gave you an insulin spike, or atleast not enough to stop cortisol. However, I have heard of people using high GI carbs during their work out for the purpose of keeping the cortisol response down.

What study are you citing?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

Low GI carbs will still elicit an insulin response, but it is much more controlled and drawn out (I like keeping blood sugar levels as stable as possible throughout the day).

Check out the thread I posted up top
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

post workout carbs helped me really add some size. before i added them i was locked around 151 lbs. using that one change helped me add 7 pounds of mass. then adding a preworkout shake of slow digesting carbs and protein helped me go from 158 to around 170. bottom line is try anything for a week, and see how your body responds - everyone is different, but anything that makes sense is worth a try.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.42%

I've noticed when I take my Waximaize pre-workout I get better results than when I take it Post.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.47%

High GI carbs in my opinion are necessary. Studies back it up. I use creatine dextrose mix with 2 scoops of whey.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.86%

so we have a bit of a variety of answers again. i'm trying to cut at the moment, but also trying to keep muscle. i've been at it for 13 weeks now, & am a bit disappointed in my fatloss. it's happening, but rediculously slow. again, just trying to find the "best" solutions, if there is such a thing! &
    "To Bobo's credit, he's seen the holes in the quick carbs thing for a number years now... Does Bobo still post here, or is he too busy traveling the globe in a private jet with the Bobettes?" hehe... just the man i was talking about...thanks for all the comments guys.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

It depends on training goals: if you're goal is aesthetics, then use a low-GI; performance should be a mix of both.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. ono
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.76%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It depends on training goals: if you're goal is aesthetics, then use a low-GI; performance should be a mix of both.
    It doesn't make a massive difference. So long as you do consume carbs, it's not that big a deal whether or not they are low gi or high gi.

high gi carbs will get you off to a fast start with glycogen replenishment, but 24 hours later you will most probably be at the same stage of replenishment that you'd have been at if you'd have consumed low gi carbs.

Consuming low gi carbs is more likely to have a positive effect on your training the next day.

You could always blunt cortisol with an isotonic sports drink while you're training and then consume a low gi carb/protein meal/snack afterwards.

First 2 hours post-workout carbohydrate uptake increases to around 150% 9from 100%), then it gradually goes back down to normal after around 6 hours. So long as you are consuming adequate carbohydrates during this period, i really wouldn't worry too much.

Adequate would = 1g carbs/lb of bodyweight post-workout, followed by 50g carbs every 1-2 hours following...until you have come to the end of the 6 hour window. That could = around 200+g of carbs during the 6 hour window. Sounds a lot but it isn't when you consider that an intense workout can deplete around 50% of your muscle glycogen.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.25%

Im really feelin' this Mauro Di Pascale guy... check this out

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

This carb stuff is rediculous. Replenishing glycogen asap is only needed if you are a performance athlete planning on trining agian in less than 12 hours... Pre-wo carbs are more inportant anyway.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%

Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp View Post
    so we have a bit of a variety of answers again. i'm trying to cut at the moment, but also trying to keep muscle. i've been at it for 13 weeks now, & am a bit disappointed in my fatloss. it's happening, but rediculously slow. again, just trying to find the "best" solutions, if there is such a thing! &
    "To Bobo's credit, he's seen the holes in the quick carbs thing for a number years now... Does Bobo still post here, or is he too busy traveling the globe in a private jet with the Bobettes?" hehe... just the man i was talking about...thanks for all the comments guys.
    cutting is not so much about gaining muscle as it is about loosing fat - calorie deficit is important for cutting. towards that goal, i would limit carbs at any time, whether pre or post workout.
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by IroNwIlL2006 View Post
    Im really feelin' this Mauro Di Pascale guy... check this out

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md92.htm
    I take anything that is hocking a product with a grain of salt. For athletes, it is paramount to to have some sort of mixture. I am not saying that 100g of dextrose is a good idea, but mixing some, say, WMS and a little SuperCarb (along with some BCAA or Leucine to kickstart protein synthesis) immediately after training does wonders for recovery.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.86%

Adequate would = 1g carbs/lb of bodyweight post-workout
    let's see, i weigh 205 (dehydrated am) so 200g/carbs post wo? that's a pretty big hit. i've been knocking down more like ~60 complex. anyhoo... you can find research to backup whatever you like (the power of google) i do appreciate the comments. i'll get back to my -1lb/week maintaining mass at least.
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp View Post
    let's see, i weigh 205 (dehydrated am) so 200g/carbs post wo? that's a pretty big hit. i've been knocking down more like ~60 complex. anyhoo... you can find research to backup whatever you like (the power of google) i do appreciate the comments. i'll get back to my -1lb/week maintaining mass at least.
    Whoever posted that is out of their mind. You are doing the right thing... Jeez people are suckers for this supplement industry BS.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

thats not overall weight, that is generally referring to LBM
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

lbm or overall wieght, its still rediculous overkill unless you are the worlds biggest ecto...

That would be nearly an entire days worth for an endo type or half of daily intake for an average person.

People are getting rediculous with the post WO carb crap. Pre-WO carbs are more important anyway.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

Quote Originally Posted by justreading View Post
    lbm or overall wieght, its still rediculous overkill unless you are the worlds biggest ecto...

That would be nearly an entire days worth for an endo type or half of daily intake for an average person.

People are getting rediculous with the post WO carb crap. Pre-WO carbs are more important anyway.
    Oh yea, I certainly agree (unless your snorting and or shooting up insane doses of AP lol). Pre workout meal is the most vital meal of the day imo as well. 200 grams post workout for me and I'd be looking sumo-esque lol
  24. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

I do like 40 complex 2 hours pre, 40g waxy 15 minutes pre, 50-75 complex post...

I am very carb sensative though.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%

between pre and post workout shakes, i get in just under 300g of carbs. lol.. 140 pre, 140 post. not that i'd recommend that to anyone else though.
  26. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    between pre and post workout shakes, i get in just under 300g of carbs. lol.. 140 pre, 140 post. not that i'd recommend that to anyone else though.
    My question is WHY? Do you do very high volume high rep work? Most people who know how to workout simply don't need that much carbs unless it's their entire daily intake or they have insane metabolisms. Even if you are thin you are asking for insulin resistence in the future.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%

My question is WHY? Do you do very high volume high rep work? Most people who know how to workout simply don't need that much carbs unless it's their entire daily intake or they have insane metabolisms. Even if you are thin you are asking for insulin resistence in the future.
    insane metabolism. pushing 7-8k calories a day, and i've posted my daily diet to back it up. workouts are pretty crazy, most people think i overtrain, but again, ecto's have high endurance, so i'm really using the other sets to focus on the endurance aspect of my musculature. all my sugar comes from dairy, with an additional 5g of sugar per shake, and there's a little bit of sugar in my whole wheat bread. everything except the string cheese is organic.

this is my arm workout, 4 sets of 10 reps, supersetted:

dips (weighted)
    chin ups | | grip (weighted)
    close grip bench
    wide grip barbell curl
    reverse grip tricep pushdown
    leaning forward cable curl
    tricep pushdown D bar
    close grip barbell curl
    reverse grip preacher curl

= 360 reps, and arms are my lightest workout

again, i'm a retarded case of a psycho metabolism, and this is my bulking diet. i gain about 2 pounds per month, and keep 10% body fat.

i don't know if its the kids that ramp my metabolism up, the fact that they keep making me swim, naturally high metabolism, or most likely, a combination of all of them. i've heard swimming burns crazy calories.

if it ever cools down in north cali, i'll be looking forward to not swimming, and dropping 1k calories from my diet. i would have bulked better, if it weren't for those pesky kids...
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

WTF???

Ha wow thats more volume than i do for all bodyparts COMBINED. I do about 200-300 reps combined between 4 workouts doing eat bodyfat twice per week with an average of 25-30 reps per bodypart. You're sick... in an impressed way.

I seriously think you could cut all that volume and do a hardgainer style workout that would allow you to cut your cals for sure. Then again if its working for you then good luck but i bet you are causing that yourself with all that training. I weigh nearly 210 and eat about 2700 cals a day so dunno.
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%

i overtrain in about three months. but i can't figure out how else to do it. i've tried three parts per muscle group with minimal results - i'd get cut, but no size. its kinda retarded.

i seriously think its genetics. my dad was 165 at 6 feet, and he ran 5k before breakfast, then played lacross or ice hockey after work. he did this every day for about 14 years before he got into a nasty accident.

EDIT: i found another way, but its equally hard. total body, compound moves only, 280 reps, every other day.
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

check out my log...

the trainign style i do now is hampered because of injuries and life issues but its simple and well known.

Simply. Max effort and tension workouts. You work your strenght and mind muscle. Or look into DC training...

Someone with a fast metabolism can definetly workout with less volume. Again if your results are still going then rock on man but I commend you on it cause i simply can't and won't do that volume.
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%

lol. its the only thing that i've found that works for me. DC training.... looks so interesting. i'm so tempted to try it, or do a variation of. i'm currently switching to a total body EOD workout, which is around 280 reps, though i'm still toying with it. i think that if i can get down to sets of 6, and work UP to sets of 10, then i can add some weight and drop down to 6 reps. this will increase my strength gains, while cutting down on total reps, and allowing continuous progress. like most things in my life, my training methods are a work in progress.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.78%

damn it suncloud and justreading.. start you own thread..... J/K

Anyways, I could agree with the 1g/lb carbs post workout, if you mean in the 4 hours after your workout. When bulking I try to get the majority of my carbs during this time, with the rest coming in intra workout and for breakfast.

While cutting, I keep carbs all day, with all of the carbs I do take coming from veggies. Insulin post workout blunts the growth hormone response from training, which can be very beneficial to cutting.

I haven't really tried lower GI carbs PWO, but I will in this upcoming bulk.
    I have some swedish oat starch which I will try PWO (has a GI in the 60-70 range) that I got from TP. I also have some activated barley, which has a GI in the mid 20s. Haven't tried either of these products yet so I am pretty excited...especially about the barley
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.78%

hmmmm. I might have to try me some palintose as well.I haven't tapped into the activated barley yet, but apparently it tastes poopoo. Palintose tastes half as sweet as sugar
  34. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.68%

some of my favorite PWO carbs include

Honey
    Kids Cereal
    WMS
    Oatmeal
    White bread
    etc
    etc
    Maybe just a slinpin

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post-wo carbs
    By SweetLou321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 01:38 AM
  2. CARBS Only POST WRKOUT? OR Every day?
    By jcr1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
  3. Post workout carbs??
    By AMTorres in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM
  4. looking for a new source of post wo carbs
    By mrlargecalves in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM